Thread: And the new Doctor Who is......

And the new Doctor Who is......

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Half of Britain explodes.
    My favourite reaction (not sure if this is viewable for non-Twitter users)
    https://twitter.com/CrowdedScouser/s...22192804536320

'Bout damn time!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

She was great in Broadchurch and will bring a new dynamic to this show. Looking forward to her first appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    She was great in Broadchurch and will bring a new dynamic to this show. Looking forward to her first appearance!
    I thought she was pretty dreadful in Broadchurch, especially the latter series.

I was hoping for Tilda Swinton.

I don't have high hopes for Chibnal.

I started watching the show with Jon Pertwee in 1970, so I go a long way back, and have always associated the Doctor as a sort of male father-figure.

That's probably why I've really enjoyed Capaldi's tenure in the blue box, and am genuinely sorry to see him go. I get the impression he decided to leave earlier than planned, possibly because of the shoddy way his second year was scheduled - he went very public about it, arguing reasonably that if the BBC wanted to capture a weekly family audience they needed to show it at the same time each week. That's partly what contributed to the huge ratings mid-seventies - you could always predict when it was coming on, straight after the sport round up.

As I watched yesterday's teaser, I was convinced it was going to be Kris Marshall from the way the character walked, and as they showed the hand opening, my wife said "Oh yes, that's a man's hand..." So the big reveal was a surprise.

I'm actually fine with it - probably time for a major shake-up, but I hope it's not a BBC knee-jerk reaction to accusations of gender bias, and a desperate bid for publicity and ratings.

As long as the writing is as strong as this year's episodes, I'm sure it'll still be worth watching - not ready to hang up my long scarf yet!

I don't watch / follow the show, but when I saw the thread title, I thought to myself, "In these times of political correctness, it will likely be a minority or a woman." Given the show's concept, there's no reason it wouldn't work just as well as all of the previous doctors, but it is a bit predictable.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This is why people like Trump win.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

As long as the writing is as strong as this year's episodes, I'm sure it'll still be worth watching - not ready to hang up my long scarf yet!
    This to me is the bigger hurtle for the show to overcome. I'm a huge Moffat fan, and based on Chibnall's work with DW previously (and in general) I'm skeptical of his ability to fill those shoes. Especially from the ideas perspective.
    Last edited by Hobo Chang Ba; 07-18-2017 at 12:08 AM.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't watch / follow the show, but when I saw the thread title, I thought to myself, "In these times of political correctness, it will likely be a minority or a woman." Given the show's concept, there's no reason it wouldn't work just as well as all of the previous doctors, but it is a bit predictable.
    From that standpoint, I'd give more credibility to casting a female Starbuck in the Battlestar reboot than this. This feels like more of an attempt to leverage a franchise name more than a groundbreaking statement. Admittedly, I haven't followed Dr. Who much at all since the 80s, but I recall the regeneration thing was originally a device the writers used to explain why there was a new actor playing The Doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    As funny as that is, you have to admit that one should always approach the decision making behind stuff like this with a healthy sense of skepticism.

Let's take male/female out of the equation for a moment. There's a long history of tinkering with established characters to cater to a different audience. One of the first things that comes to mind for me is how well branded superhero/comic characters are re-imagined in different forms, notably "tween versions" to cater to children. Look how iconic characters such as Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are portrayed to continue to capitalize on their established brands. This is especially pertinent in these times where there is a glut of content fighting to remain relevant in an attention economy.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 07-17-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    From that standpoint, I'd give more credibility to casting a female Starbuck in the Battlestar reboot than this. This feels like more of an attempt to leverage a franchise name more than a groundbreaking statement. Admittedly, I haven't followed Dr. Who much at all since the 80s, but I recall the regeneration thing was originally a device the writers used to explain why there was a new actor playing The Doctor.
    I wasn't suggesting that they were trying to make a statement. Merely that they hadn't done it yet, and doing so would have been so very much in keeping with Pop Culture norms today.

Should have been a black lesbian woman with a disability to cover all the PC aspects.
    DtB