Thread: Don Li's Tonus-Music and the origins Zen Funk

Don Li's Tonus-Music and the origins Zen Funk

I recently discovered Don Li's music and thought I'd share this with fellow PE members
    Don Li is a Swiss composer, musician (clarinet, saxophone) and music producer of reductive music.
    His "Tonus-Music" concept combines a composing method that relies on reductive discipline and an almost graphic architecture which incorporates components of Indian classical music, jazz, minimal electronics, or funk. He is interested in metric, interlocking and balancing elements of rhythmic structures in combination with musical asceticism. He has been serially numbering his compositions (parts), which often consist of a single formula, ever since; he compares them with Japanese Haikus and calls them musical sculptures

That's fascinating, thanks for posting Udi. Zen Funk seems to be a very Swiss phenomenon - I was aware of Nik Bartsch, Sonar and the wonderful Plaistow (on some of their material), but very glad to add Don Li and Tonus Music to that list.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    That's fascinating, thanks for posting Udi. Zen Funk seems to be a very Swiss phenomenon - I was aware of Nik Bartsch, Sonar and the wonderful Plaistow (on some of their material), but very glad to add Don Li and Tonus Music to that list.
    Never heard of Plaistow
    I find Don Li's music truly fascinating-unlike Nik Bartch's Ronin (which I love for more then a decade ) his music is much more diverse and open
    After getting acquainted with Don Li's body of work Ronin seems formulaic limited and "predictable "
    And if you look "further" into the entire Tonus-Music roster and catalog you realize he has created a musical language/aesthetic that can be interpreted into to many forms
    quite exciting discovering this body of work

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Never heard of Plaistow
    I find Don Li's music truly fascinating-unlike Nik Bartch's Ronin (which I love for more then a decade ) his music is much more diverse and open
    After getting acquainted with Don Li's body of work Ronin seems formulaic limited and "predictable "
    And if you look "further" into the entire Tonus-Music roster and catalog you realize he has created a musical language/aesthetic that can be interpreted into to many forms
    quite exciting discovering this body of work
    Let me provide some Plaistow then:

They recently split, but were a trio of Johann Bourquenez (piano), Vincent Ruiz (double bass) and Cyril Bondi (drums). They put four albums out and I'd recommend all of them to people who dig Bartsch, The Necks, etc. There's an influence of electronic dance music also - I believe the band's name comes from a Squarepusher track - though everything they did was just with their acoustic instruments.

I'm certainly looking forward to spending some happy hours exploring Don Li's world.

Bandcamp Profile

About 10 years ago when I was going through my "Nik Bartsch is blowing my mind" phase, I googled around to see who else was doing music like this. The name Don Li popped up a lot so I ordered a CD from his site. It never clicked but I need to dust it off and give him another chance.

I agree that Bartsch, as path-breaking as he is/was, has gotten a little old over time.

EDIT: How exactly did Li make that little paper thing?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    About 10 years ago when I was going through my "Nik Bartsch is blowing my mind" phase, I googled around to see who else was doing music like this. The name Don Li popped up a lot so I ordered a CD from his site. It never clicked but I need to dust it off and give him another chance.

I agree that Bartsch, as path-breaking as he is/was, has gotten a little old over time.

EDIT: How exactly did Li make that little paper thing?
    Don Li's Gen its from 1999 - its like "In The Court" of Zen Funk the blueprint ...
    Everything is there (including Nik and Bjoren ) a clear and refined concept
    It took Nik another 3 years to release his debut
    But to fully realize the weight of Don Li's body of work we need to research the entire Tonus-Music Records catalog there we can see the breadth and width of his art
    btw there and many resemblances / similarities between Don and Nik
    Numbering their compositions
    owning a space / club were they preform their music (in Don's case its also includes films dance video etc.)
    Both have their own label
    both are influenced by Japanese philosophy Zen-Meditation
    Their beards LOL
    The sound aesthetic
    there is more

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Don Li's Gen its from 1999 - its like "In The Court" of Zen Funk the blueprint ...
    Everything is there (including Nik and Bjoren ) a clear and refined concept
    It took Nik another 3 years to release his debut
    But to fully realize the weight of Don Li's body of work we need to research the entire Tonus-Music Records catalog there we can see the breadth and width of his art
    btw there and many resemblances / similarities between Don and Nik
    Numbering their compositions
    owning a space / club were they preform their music (in Don's case its also includes films dance video etc.)
    Both have their own label
    both are influenced by Japanese philosophy Zen-Meditation
    Their beards LOL
    The sound aesthetic
    there is more
    Sounds like you have explored the Tonus Music catalogue quite a bit aleady. Any particular tips on albums to check out?

Bandcamp Profile

possible food for my brains once I'll have more time to investigate (quite busy with new acquisitions right now)

Thanks for the Share, Udi.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Sounds like you have explored the Tonus Music catalogue quite a bit aleady. Any particular tips on albums to check out?
    Not really just scratching the surface of Don Li
    So far was blown away by :
    Don Li - Gen
    Don Li - Out Of Body Experience Part 64
    Don Li / A Portrait of Edith Piaf

I did listen to Mik Keusen's Blau interesting
    and Marcel Zaes - The last place (left)

there is a lot yet to discover here

^ ^^ Thanks Udi, I'll get cracking with those.

Bandcamp Profile

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thanks for posting, I will explore, that Plaistow is excellent, I've had it a while and return regularly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Chalkpie , Scrotum Scissor you guys need to check this out

I ordered most of his stuff from his site and cd arrive swiftly and safely
    been obsessing over this man's work for a few months now
    the more I listen the more I am fascinated
    This guy could have easily been one of the new ECM stars of the new millennium
    listening to his earlier works one realizes He had all the necessary ingredients but luckily chose to dedicate himself to walk a path that is his very own
    Can't Recommended this enough