Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Fans Of Ann Wilson/Heart

For Fans Of Ann Wilson/Heart

I just found this 2017 two hour concert from the House of Blues. Check out her opener! If anyone knows who the guys in her band are, please post. Harder rockin' than Heart imo.

https://youtu.be/YK5YgPc6zB4
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Expand the info under the video (click SHOW MORE), includes this info:

Performed by:
    ann wilson - vocals
    denny fongheiser- drums
    craig bartock - lead g-tar
    andy stoller - bass g-tar
    dan walker - keys

Cool, have to watch this. Her voice still sounds great. Is Heart broken up? I'll have to google what's going on there...

Craig Bartock is Heart's guitarist. Or was, if Ann and Nancy don't get back together.

Thanks!

When I started this thread I had only watched the first 30 minutes. There's a Yes cover later on.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

And too many Who covers, as usual...

She does a nice version of All Good People at the 1:00 mark.

Apparently Nancy has a new band called Roadcase Royale

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...yale-interview

If I remember the details right, there was an incident a little while back of Nancy's teenage sons getting pushed around by Ann's volatile husband after the kids let a dog escape from the tour bus. It was serious enough that police were called. Ann sided with her husband and Nancy said fuck this, I'm outa here. So now both of them have their own bands and neither one is talking to the other. Some say Nancy preferred to just play the hits and Ann wanted to experiment, do more covers. There was a big stink about the whole thing on the Hoffman forum.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

She does more covers in these 2 hours than Heart & new original songs combined, and most of them well. In the past she's actually covered LZ far more than the Who, and doesn't touch LZ here. She does cover (what I remember) Jimi, Black Crowes, Animals, Yes, the Who (3 times), Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and for me the highlight, a very surprising and imo killer cover of Stills "FWIW".

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If I remember the details right, there was an incident a little while back of Nancy's teenage sons getting pushed around by Ann's volatile husband after the kids let a dog escape from the tour bus. It was serious enough that police were called. Ann sided with her husband and Nancy said fuck this, I'm outa here. So now both of them have their own bands and neither one is talking to the other. Some say Nancy preferred to just play the hits and Ann wanted to experiment, do more covers. There was a big stink about the whole thing on the Hoffman forum.
    At one of their shows a few years back, a friend told me the fourth, fifth and seventh songs in were LZ & Who covers. A guy in the crowd yelled "Play something YOU WROTE!!!"

^^^
    There are times she could sing the phone book and I wouldn't care. When she is on, and passionate about what she is singing, it is an instrument of intense pleasure.

And she is still "on" here, with only a minuscule difference in where her range as well as her power still are at age 67.

Ann sounds amazing. That said, I do think she should take it easy on the covers. Heart's repertoire doesn't need a boost. It's already that good.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    At one of their shows a few years back, a friend told me the fourth, fifth and seventh songs in were LZ & Who covers. A guy in the crowd yelled "Play something YOU WROTE!!!"
    The last time I saw Heart, which was just a couple of years ago, they encored with 3 Led Zeppelin tunes. Seems like they did a cover in the middle of their set too of someone, but I don’t remember what it was.

She's doing a set with Gov't Mule this year at Lockn' http://www.locknfestival.com/lineup

She's always loved singing covers. Now, without her sister's opposition, she can sing whatever she wants. And I'm okay if that includes The Who, Led Zeppelin and Yes.
    The Prog Corner

I think it's obvious by now that she's doing covers because she wants to rather than has to. There's no argument that Heart has more than enough of a great catalog that covers aren't necessary (even if you don't count Heart's late 80s-early 90s output at all, some of which is good imo), but since it's her gig now instead of their gig, covers are what she's liking right now. She did do 2 new originals that she wrote or co-wrote.

Imagine touring week in and week out for decades singing the same 20+ songs. After awhile you would want to sing something else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Imagine touring week in and week out for decades singing the same 20+ songs. After awhile you would want to sing something else as well.
    It's not like Heart has a small back catalog to draw from. You really want to hear "Rock and Roll" again?

It's not like Heart has a small back catalog to draw from. You really want to hear "Rock and Roll" again?
    Absolutely not, I'm with you there, but "Manic Depression", "Love Reign O'er Me" and "For What It's Worth" had a lot of worth.

Man, there's a lot of Zep's catalog she could have fun with. Picture Ann doing something like "Ten Years Gone" or "Fool in the Rain".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Ann sounds amazing. That said, I do think she should take it easy on the covers. Heart's repertoire doesn't need a boost. It's already that good.
    I agree for the Heart shows. For her solo shows, I would guess her set is hers to mangle and stretch as much as she desires.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    She's always loved singing covers. Now, without her sister's opposition, she can sing whatever she wants. And I'm okay if that includes The Who, Led Zeppelin and Yes.
    I'm not really a fan of Zeppelin, Who, or Yes, so those parts of her show would bore me. I never got into their Lovemongers off-shoot band. In my opinion, Heart has too many classic and awesome deep cuts that never get played to then insert so many covers into their set. That right there is what has kept me away from seeing them perform live in over 20 years. I have enjoyed their last few studio albums.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    As I stated above, there are plenty of Heart songs that they can inject into their set that would showcase their entire career.

She just came through the Bay Area and I couldn't make it to one of her shows. I DL one of her shows from Dime.
    Thanks for this link. I don't mind her doing these covers. This is not Heart. Ann can and should do whatever she wants. Rock on girl!

She's one of the two or three female singers I like. She sings with balls.

are Ann & Nancy not getting long these days? ................. again.