Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: This is Just All Kinds of Wrong - Rolling Stone's Top 100 Metal Albums of All Time

Danzig? YUK!!!! Horrible singer

My favorite HM albums are:

Judas Priest Hell Bent For Leather (Killing Machine)
    Iron Maiden Piece Of Mind
    Black Sabbath Paranoid
    Metallica Ride The Lightning
    Slayer Reign In Blood

That's pretty much all I need.
    The Prog Corner

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Here are the top 40 metal studio albums on rateyourmusic.com, (attempting to have the same metal scope as RS used).
    The choices of The People:

1. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    2. Master of Puppets - Metallica
    3. Master of Reality - Black Sabbath
    4. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    5. Ride the Lightning - Metallica
    6. Reign in Blood - Slayer
    7. Rust in Peace - Megadeth
    8. Powerslave - Iron Maiden
    9. Lateralus - Tool
    10. Symbolic - Death
    11. Blackwater Park - Opeth
    12. Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
    13. Aenima - Tool
    14. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath- Black Sabbath
    15. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
    16. And Justice For All - Metallica
    17. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Iron Maiden
    18. Dirt - Alice In Chains
    19. Painkiller - Judas Priest
    20. Vol. 4 - Black Sabbath
    21. Still Life - Opeth
    22. Filosofem - Burzum
    23. Rising - Rainbow
    24. Human - Death
    25. Kill Em All - Metallica
    26. Dopethrone - Electric Wizard
    27. Angel Dust - Faith No More
    28. Seasons in the Abyss - Slayer
    29. Panopticon - Isis
    30. Ashes Against the Grain - Agalloch
    31. The Mantle - Agalloch
    32. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
    33. Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
    34. The Sound of Perseverance - Death
    35. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - Burzum
    36. Crack the Skye - Mastodon
    37. Bergtatt: Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler - Ulver
    38. Sad Wings of Destiny - Judas Priest
    39. Don't Break the Oath - Mercyful Fate
    40. Individual Thought Patterns - Death
    always puzzles me that Burzum gets credence when I have heard cats mating that sounded better.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Emperor is conspicuously absent

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Emperor is conspicuously absent
    Nightside Eclipse was in the low 40s and I think another was not too far behind.

Burzum is cats mating? Then what does Emperor sound like? Cats being strangled?

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Danzig? YUK!!!! Horrible singer
    Also a lousy lyricist. SUre, metal isn't known for great lyrics, mostly, but Glenn Danzig seemed to be pandering to the whole "We're so evil" stereotype. I mean, lots of bands wrote songs about demonic possession, or serial killers or zombies or whatever, but I can't remember anyone else writing a song warning parents about how bad ass or evil the performer is supposed to be. Oy!

And then to make it worse, remember when he put out that "live" version of Mother that was such a big hit. Or it might not have been a "hit" in the Billboard sense, but MTV sure played that video an awful lot? Well, I remember reading where John Christ, Danzig's guitarist at the time, say that all they did was take the studio version, he overdubbed a new solo because he was unhappy with a couple out of tune string bends, and they remixed it with more reverb and crowd noise so it would sound like a live track, when it wasn't.

And there was another song where he kept grunting during the chorus, I thikn it was called Dirty Summer or something like that. He'd sing the title of the song, then make this sound like someone was punching him in the stomach. And he does this like ten or more times during the song. Yeah, ok.

And I guess this is one for the "he's a jerk" thread, but I heard a lot of stories about him. I can't remember if it was John Christ or one of the other guys in the band who quit after playing with him for like 10 years because all of a sudden, Glenn required everyone to sign new contracts with sobriety clauses in them, even though the issue apparently had never been a problem.

Then there was the rumor about how he got his ass kicked by someone backstage at a music festival somewhere. The kicker was, the guy who supposedly kicked his ass was one of the guys in Def Leppard. So, Glenn apparently felt that he had to put out some sort of press release denying this ever happened, and that the rumor was started by the Def Leppard camp, and he basically challenged whichever member of Team Leppard to a fistfight, like he wanted to prove that he could kick the Def Leppard guy's ass no problem. One wonders if he wasn't a bully when he was in school (did he even go to school?!).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Montrose is hard rock, I think. But hard rock/metal is one of those things where it is hard to define where one ends and the other begins. It's possibly in the lyrics- the gothic and macabre tends to predominate in metal. Hard rock tends to be lyrically earthier...but then you get to the grey area of Kiss/Van Halen and the 80s 'hair metal' bands!
    As far as I'm concerned Kiss isn't even close to being a "grey area", with the possible exception of Creatures Of The Night (which was the album they should have made in 1981, instead of 1982). Other than that one album, they're most definitely hard rock. And remember, I've worn Kiss makeup myself, so it's not like I'm soemone who doesn't like this band. I love them (or rather, I love their 70's and early 80's music), but I'm not gonna pretend this band is something that isn't.

Oh, and please, it's "glam metal", not "hair metal".

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Nightside Eclipse was in the low 40s and I think another was not too far behind.

Burzum is cats mating? Then what does Emperor sound like? Cats being strangled?
    Emperor is awesome!

In fact, the only redeeming work Burzum put out had Samoth on it.