Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Companyia Electrica Dharma - Diumenge

I agree with SS, Fusioon—despite the name—were hardly jazz fusion. I guess the name comes from the “fusion of ideas,” since at least on Minorisa they were fusing disparate ideas—symphonic rock with Balearic folk tunes and electronics—together in unusual ways. (Their earlier output was more conventional “classical-rock” stuff). Iceberg’s debut Tutankhamon was also more or less a symphonic prog album with some fusion ideas, though based on the only other album I’ve heard by them (the spectacular Coses nostres), they embraced jazz fusion full-bore.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Following the previous posts in answeres to mine, I'm currently busy relistening to Fusioon's albums, because it's been over 10 years since my last spin.

I always thought that their third album Minorisa was anything but JR/F, but I was rather certain that their first two were.
    But after having listened to their debut this morning, I was driven to check to my PA review which wrote this:

One of those artwork sleeves that symbolize the music style best, but this is doubled by the band's name - the other one that does equally good is Nucleus's Elastic Rock recorded almost three years before. The first chapter of this standard prog quartet with the Camp brothers at bass and KB is actually fairly accessible (well compared to the other two later albums) and IMHO, is maybe the one I prefer because of its naiveté.

This record is a mostly instrumental one (a few scatting one the opening track), but this does not hamper the enjoyment of the music: they have a fairly unique sound and the music has some very subtle Spanish overtones but not in the Flamenco realm. Their sound oscillates between Isotope, Wigwam (the Gustavson and Pohjola compositions), Focus or Finch, Sloche (or fellow Quebecois Maneige) and countrymen Iceberg. If the jazz colours are the main characteristics of the album, the classical influences peak here and there, most notably in Negra Sombra (Dark Black). Apparently all of the tracks are covers of traditional songs (6 of 8 tracks) all adapted/arranged by Manel Camp and the other two being penned by other writers. The odd flute, sax and clarinet (actually un-credited) but drummer Arisa is the one playing them (says D-E Asbjornsen) and bring touches of brilliance. The superb piano may even ring reminiscence of Chilean Los Jaivas in their more symphonic moments and with the organs, ELP comes to mind.
    And I must say that I still largely abide of my 2005 review

From their second album (which I will listen in the car tonight while driving to a buddy's prog BBQ thingie), I had this to say:

The second Fusioon album (also called Crocodile) is quite a different affair than the debut mostly because of its less fusion-esque spirit, but it is likely to please many progheads because of its main influence: Gentle Giant. This mimetism is even a little too derivative IMHO, regardless of that fact, the album is impressive nonetheless.

As far as I am concerned we are dealing with the second best GG album not made by GG themselves. Not far behind Quebec's Etcetera's sole album but well ahead of Germany's Epidermis's debut album, GG is not the only influence presented here, but certainly the most dominant one. Among which I will list Gryphon, The Nice and Yes, but maybe a bit of jazz-rock (Soft Machine) also.

Again a mainly instrumental album (I estimate the singing or vocal parts to less than 15%), all of the tracks are penned by the Camp brothers (mostly Manel the KB man) which in itself is quite a departure from their earlier effort. The entirely instrumental (bar the final vocal chords) and very classical multi-movement suite Tritons (which contains a Tcaikovski variation) is clearly a highlight but personally I like Dialogos as my favourite with its impressive and dark start. A similar start for the other multi-movement suite Concerto Grosso, but the track falls a bit short on the inspiration front and by this time, I must admit I am a bit saturated from the GG bombardment.

Personally (and unlike the majority of progheads) I prefer this album to the following Minorisa even if that one is less derivative of classic prog groups
    Soooo, my half-bad. I guess must revisit less obvious shelves of mine more often, as to avoid senility/Alzheimer to catch up with me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

crazy...

I just listened to this today on my way back from a long trip

very good album!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?