Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Payne and the Rock Pack

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Adam, was this show in Hollywood, FL?
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Yes. Did I mention that too many times in my previous posts?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    How was Kimball's singing, aside from his antics? I have seen YouTube videos from a while ago of some outdoor gig he did which are jawdroppingly bad. To whit:

The other clips from this show suggest the entire gig was a horror-show! Hope he was better here.
    That hurts. Couldn't listen to it for more than a minute or so.

I've driven by the Seminole Hard Rock thousands of times but never been there. I was looking at their concert schedule. Peter Frampton will be there this month. Thinking of maybe going. Haven't been to a concert in ten years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've driven by the Seminole Hard Rock thousands of times but never been there. I was looking at their concert schedule. Peter Frampton will be there this month. Thinking of maybe going. Haven't been to a concert in ten years or so.
    Santana will also be there in October, IIRC.

The arena is a oversized school gym, but they get some great acts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No, I must have missed it. I thought it was interesting that you were there. You weren't there for this show, were you? I actually have no idea what's in Hollywood, FL.

Oh, now I see Hollywood is between Miami and Ft Lauderdale.
    I live about 45 minutes from the venue.

"It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Santana will also be there in October, IIRC.

The arena is a oversized school gym, but they get some great acts.

Yeah I saw that. I'd rather see Santana than Frampton.

OMG......that was painful to watch.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That hurts. Couldn't listen to it for more than a minute or so.
    Kimball posted a comment on that video and says that his in-ear monitors weren't working, so he couldn't hear himself sing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I live about 45 minutes from the venue.

Ohhh, I forgot you migrated south! Nice!

How was Kimball's singing, aside from his antics? I have seen YouTube videos from a while ago of some outdoor gig he did which are jawdroppingly bad. To whit:

The other clips from this show suggest the entire gig was a horror-show! Hope he was better here.
    Yeah he was just as bad. That's why the sound guy turned his mic down.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Kimball posted a comment on that video and says that his in-ear monitors weren't working, so he couldn't hear himself sing.
    He also posted "I just went to a University Hospital yesterday in Germany, and spent about 3 hours with a brilliant Vocal Doctor. He did so much work on my Vocal Cords, and then we checked out the best Vocal Warm-Up details I've ever seen. After we worked on that for a while, I was singing notes like I never could in my whole life. Now I'll be able to sing anything i want, better that I ever have. This is going to be so much fun for me, and I can't wait to use all of his information that I learned."

That comment was a year ago.

Yeah I saw that but it's not the only time he's sounded akin to this. paythesnuka says he was just the same in this show.

Yes, that makes it hard, to stay in tune.

Oh, man. That was bad. Really bad. Really makes me sad, as a huge Toto fan. I've always preferred Joseph Williams fronting them, but this is just awful.

If your in-ear monitors aren't functioning, couldn't you just remove them? It looks like there are stage monitors in front of him. Seems like a lame excuse. And he looked really corny introducing the song.

To be fair, he doesn't normally sing the verses on "Africa." That's David Paich on the record. But the choruses were just as bad.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^He completely mis-timed the last lyric in the song...yet seems to be playing keyboard in time. Odd.

Each song was featured on the big screens on each side of the stage, but along with the live feed, pieces of old videos featuring each vocalist were shown as well. So, in one moment you would see Lou Gramm as a spry, young, athletic vocalist with an afro, and the next you see him in the present as Geoff Downes' current-day doppelganger.

so did they show wetton singing the songs originally...? or just footage of Payne in his silly hat. I would probably go see this if it came to my area but still wish Payne would focus more on his time in Asia or better yet new stuff.

and sad to hear and see the stuff about Bobby Kimball. I know people put it down but I do think he sounded pretty good with Yoso including the live bootlegs I heard of some of their shows.
    Last edited by gojikranz; 07-03-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh, man. That was bad. Really bad. Really makes me sad, as a huge Toto fan. I've always preferred Joseph Williams fronting them, but this is just awful.

If your in-ear monitors aren't functioning, couldn't you just remove them? It looks like there are stage monitors in front of him. Seems like a lame excuse. And he looked really corny introducing the song.

To be fair, he doesn't normally sing the verses on "Africa." That's David Paich on the record. But the choruses were just as bad.
    A lot of times, when in-ears are used, the floor monitors are actually VIDEO monitors with the lyrics crawling across them. Now, was that the case here? I have no bloody clue...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    so did they show wetton singing the songs originally...? or just footage of Payne in his silly hat. I would probably go see this if it came to my area but still wish Payne would focus more on his time in Asia or better yet new stuff.

and sad to hear and see the stuff about Bobby Kimball. I know people put it down but I do think he sounded pretty good with Yoso including the live bootlegs I heard of some of their shows.
    They showed an Asia video with Payne sans hat and Guthrie Govan on guitar.

^He completely mis-timed the last lyric in the song...yet seems to be playing keyboard in time. Odd.
    You actually made it that far!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    I'm one of the few people who actually liked Kimball in Yoso, and while some of the shows were indeed pretty good others were not. I believe toward the end of the tour his voice really broke down. The London show (Keith Emerson in attendance, IIRC) was supposedly really poor. Several PE folks were there and commented negatively. There is some YouTube from BB King's which is nothing to write home about either.

It is sad, I agree. The Yoso band had some real AOR potential. I believe they largely broke up b/c Kimball's issues...

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    You actually made it that far!?!?
    Well, you miss the bass solo if you don't. That's really something.

Well, you miss the bass solo if you don't. That's really something.
    Alright, I'm intrigued now. I'll have to hunker down and brace myself and get through the whole thing...

OK, I have no idea how, but when I clicked on that Bobby Kimball video again to hear the infamous bass solo, this video came up instead.

In the "hard to sit through" video contest, Kimball is minor league compared to this!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm one of the few people who actually liked Kimball in Yoso, and while some of the shows were indeed pretty good others were not. I believe toward the end of the tour his voice really broke down. The London show (Keith Emerson in attendance, IIRC) was supposedly really poor. Several PE folks were there and commented negatively. There is some YouTube from BB King's which is nothing to write home about either.

It is sad, I agree. The Yoso band had some real AOR potential. I believe they largely broke up b/c Kimball's issues...
    Yes, I was at the London show and Kimball was poor. Not completely terrible, but pretty poor. As I understand it, Kimball and Sherwood indeed fell out over Kimball's issues.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

There may be other things going on with Kimball, but I suspect that his hearing is not just an in-ear monitor problem. He is singing like he has lost his hearing. I sing in a group with someone who is a good singer but his hearing is shot. On bad days, he sounds a lot like Kimball does here, as if he has no idea what key he should be singing in.