Thread: Dylan show

Dylan show

Does anyone here happen to have a recording of Dylan and the Band from The Spectrum in Philadelphia, PA from January 7, 1974? I attended the evening show and would love to have an audio copy, if it's out there. Thanks.
    meanwhile, I am looking through Dime
    Last edited by davis; 06-30-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Does anyone here happen to have a recording of Dylan and the Band from The Spectrum in Philadelphia, PA from January 7, 1974? I attended the evening show and would love to have an audio copy, if it's out there. Thanks.
    meanwhile, I am looking through Dime
    Not your exact show, but Before The Flood is probably fairly representative of that show.

Yeah, I used to have a copy of that. but I would love to have a copy of the show I went to.

It is on DIME (but according to the Dylan site I just checked there was only one show January 7 - on January 6 they played afternoon and evening shows).

I found it on Dime and dld it. the SQ is amazing for that time. Found another copy on guitars101. it's dlg now so I don't know yet if it's the same source.

I just listened to Before the Flood a few days ago. There's some pretty amazing performances on there. I've read that Dylan was less than thrilled with it but there's an almost desperate energy to some of these songs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I haven't heard it in a long time. I did not used to like The Band, but i do now. guess I'll get me a copy. Bob didn't like the Budokan release either. I think that got released without his consent. I first heard the Hard Rain version of Maggie's farm on somebody's car speakers in Ocean City. I thought it was Great. I love the Hard Rain album.

Is there any point to getting an SACD copy of BTF?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Is there any point to getting an SACD copy of BTF?
    I can't see where that disc would benefit from such a treatment. It's not like it needs great clarity to get its point across.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I guess it was an early nostalgia tour in the sense that the set mainly consisted of old songs...but the arrangements are different to the studio versions, as was typical of Dylan. So Before The Flood is kind of a 'best of both worlds' live album- offers the hits but done in a different way. 'Most Likely...' is absolutely raging.

Hard Rain is an odd one for me. Short live albums can sometimes feel like 'product' as they don't always capture the full extent of a show. This teeters perilously close to that, especially with the sloppy mix. But, what's there is very good indeed. Should have been longer.