Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony to start pressing records again after almost 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You'd think that modern industry would've found a replacement material, that is more stable and sturdy, less prone to static, dust accumulation, scratches and warping.
    Not to disagree with you or anything, but the PVC used in LPs is very stable. LPs from the 1950s are still playable today. Will we be able to say that about CDs sixty-five years from now?

True, they deteriorate (incrementally) with every playing, and when new they have static, and they can be scratched and warped if mistreated. But with proper care they'll last longer than you will.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-01-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I just don't get repeated asinine comments like that. No doubt the other one will be along to sneer as well.
    I posted a thread in respect for fallen ANZAC soldiers once - the idiot decided to sneer at that too. "Ignore" is your friend.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    I personally prefer CDs by some way...but I don't understand the repeated need for these kind of sarcastic comments. I always thought cassette was the crappiest of the big three mediums (CD/cassette/record) of yesteryear, and I feel any revival of that format is purely down to bone-headed hipster irony. There's a lot more to like about records, when everything is right.

It's a niche (albeit a rapidly developing one), certainly, but it's a small level of cheer for a beleaguered, battered music industry.

I refuse to use that 'v' word though, they were always 'records' for me and they will remain thus.
    Plain and simple, vinyl is an expensive way to produce music which requires great expense to playback. The industry loves it because the people who want this wont be distributing the music effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Plain and simple, vinyl is an expensive way to produce music which requires great expense to playback. The industry loves it because the people who want this wont be distributing the music effortlessly.
    This is nonsense.

There are a number of quite highly regarded turntables (even by "audiophiles") in the $300-$400 range. Less than $200 will get a fairly solid TT for someone who is less picky and just wants to get going with that vinyl "sound" again.

Audio Technica even make a $100 TT which sounds surprisingly decent and would work for a beginner. I bet that for less than $500 anybody could have a TT, amp and speakers that along with some clean vinyl will lay CD to waste. I'm happy to guide anyone on a budget who wants recommendations.

Yes, good call. The industry loves the prospect of the remaining physical media folk moving to vinyl. Most people who are buying it don't have the ability to make digital copies of it. Also, don't expect the download code to remain a new vinyl freebie - my bet is that in the future this will change to some kind of cloud access. And - for now, anyway - most people who are buying new vinyl don't know or care whether or not the record was made from an analog master, or is just a "CD on a platter."

That said, I also don't know why some people can't accept that both formats have their advantages and shortcomings, and that the best-sounding version of any particular well-known album could be on either format.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    This is nonsense.
    But you missed the point of his post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth
    The industry loves it because the people who want this wont be distributing the music effortlessly.
    I.E., no digital file, no easy transfer to an unauthorized user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift
    Most people who are buying [records] don't have the ability to make digital copies of it.
    Ability, or desire.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    But you missed the point of his post.I.E., no digital file, no easy transfer to an unauthorized user.Ability, or desire.
    I didn't take issue with that part of Firth's post.

OF COURSE the industry loves the possibility that a physical medium is back on the upswing.

In terms of long-term payout, they screwed themselves in the first place by not seeing that a format which would allow itself to be perfectly cloned and had artwork sized just barely superior to a postage stamp probably wasn't one to bankroll.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    no digital file, no easy transfer to an unauthorized user.
    Not true. Someone that does not care about physical and needs only digital versions can get on platforms like soulseek and find almost everything in a multitude of digital formats. For free. Even 100 copies vinyl "exclusive" productions are uploaded, even few days following release. Small scale labels like ours, suffer from this trend...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

But I said 'niche', for goodness' sake. And ultimately, it still is.

Seems to me that legal streaming has proven to be as big a problem as illegal downloading, due to derisory royalty rates from some platforms.

Seems to me that legal streaming has proven to be as big a problem as illegal downloading, due to derisory royalty rates from ALL platforms.
    fixed it for you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    fixed it for you.
    Are Bandcamp's rates that bad? Or is it not really considered a streaming site?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-04-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are Bandcamp's rates that bad? Or is it not really considered a streaming site?
    BandCamp is NOT a streaming site. People can stream songs IF THE BANDS/LABELS want them to, but it isn't 'required' of the bands/labels.

BandCamp are the best medium in the business to get full resolution (or even high resolution) digital purchases at market rate prices while giving bands/labels the best return.

BC is a fabulous thing; they are the one bit of cheerful news in the business for us as a label in the last 5 years.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Even 100 copies vinyl "exclusive" productions are uploaded, even few days following release. Small scale labels like ours, suffer from this trend...
    On googling my own album titles, I notice that Progressive Archives doesn't even deem me significant enough to warrant a listing, but Russian bootleggers still consider my music worth stealing and offering for free.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    On googling my own album titles, I notice that Progressive Archives doesn't even deem me significant enough to warrant a listing, but Russian bootleggers still consider my music worth stealing and offering for free.
    Doesn't that make you well with a certain pride. Pride ... or dropsy.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Pride ... or dropsy.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

BC is a fabulous thing; they are the one bit of cheerful news in the business for us as a label in the last 5 years.
    Never been into streaming (Spotify or others)...

But I'm a recent Bandcamp adept... Bought some albums directly from the band that way.

PA's DB (almost anyone can enter something in the discography) is only as good as its participants (all volunteering and working gratuitously) are aware of people entering boots or over-looking recent reissues.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But I'm a recent Bandcamp adept... Bought some albums directly from the band that way.
    Let Svetonio be your Yoda.

^There's a name I haven't seen mentioned for a while. I would very much like it to be even longer before I see it again.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I have used The edit to purchase vinyl.

But I believe I called the whole thing on vinyl and CDs not dying.

People should hire me to be their marketing predictor.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I have used The edit to purchase vinyl.

But I believe I called the whole thing on vinyl and CDs not dying.

People should hire me to be their marketing predictor.
    They will die eventually; what is happening now is the move to these items being part of a specialized market. Most people don't listen to music on physical media any more, but there is a minority contingent who does, and a solid percentage of those who likely always will. It's an ever-shrinking part of the overall market, but the dedication/loyalty of the core of customers means that the companies can release products that cost more and still get a return. The box sets and elaborate packaging isn't going anywhere, at least for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    They will die eventually; what is happening now is the move to these items being part of a specialized market. Most people don't listen to music on physical media any more, but there is a minority contingent who does, and a solid percentage of those who likely always will. It's an ever-shrinking part of the overall market, but the dedication/loyalty of the core of customers means that the companies can release products that cost more and still get a return. The box sets and elaborate packaging isn't going anywhere, at least for awhile.
    we shall see, but the major labels pushed the notion that vinyl, cd and cassettes were all dead, and yet here they still are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    we shall see, but the major labels pushed the notion that vinyl, cd and cassettes were all dead, and yet here they still are.
    For industry people, "dead" doesn't mean altogether eliminated; it means a fundamental shift in the way music is delivered, so that they can direct their resources towards that. For all intents and purposes, physical media is currently in its death throes and will probably be considered "dead" in a few years. I'm interested to see the 2017 first half sales numbers, which are usually released at some point in July.

For industry people, "dead" doesn't mean altogether eliminated; it means a fundamental shift in the way music is delivered, so that they can direct their resources towards that. For all intents and purposes, physical media is currently in its death throes and will probably be considered "dead" in a few years. I'm interested to see the 2017 first half sales numbers, which are usually released at some point in July.
    I am not totally buying the death throes. I see more stores carrying vinyl, more services for purchasing vinyl.

Prog Archives still thinks prog is the "cool table" and only recognize people they deem worthy of their coolness.

I'm interested to see the 2017 first half sales numbers, which are usually released at some point in July.
    And sure enough, it was released yesterday.

Some of the important numbers (and these are United States numbers only):

Overall music consumption was up 9.9% ytd over 2016 ytd.
    On-demand streaming was up 58%
    Subscription streams grew 69%.

Digital album sales were DOWN 24.3%
    CD album sales were DOWN 3.9%
    Vinyl album sales were UP 20.4%
    Overall album sales were DOWN 2.1%

So, CD album sales decreases may be flattening.
    Vinyl album sales are still growing significantly.
    Vinyl catching up with CDs is dependent on not just its own growth, but significant erosion of CD sales. That may happen in the future, but clearly has not happened this year.

One big thing: in the first half of 2016, digital album sales per unit were much higher than CD sales (45.6 million vs. 37.3 million). Now, CD sales have regained the lead (35.9 million for CDs vs. 34.5 million for digital), as the enthusiasm for paying $10-$15 for a digital download seems to be waning rapidly in the era of subscription streams.

Total CD album sales: 35.9 million
    Total vinyl album sales: 3.6 million

The full report:
    http://www.buzzanglemusic.com/wp-con....S.-Report.pdf