Thread: Saw the Bad Plus last night

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Saw the Bad Plus last night

A friend offered me a ticket for last night's show at the Iron Horse here in 'Hamp. While an acoustic "jazz" trio is typically not my cups, I had a great time, truly enjoyed the playful dynamic between the players and their energy. Glad I got to see them before they refresh their lineup and I will look forward to checking out the new iteration.

I have always wanted to see these guys.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman
    Glad I got to see them before they refresh their lineup and I will look forward to checking out the new iteration.
    I have only heard them on record. I did not know there was a lineup change in the works. Do you have details?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    from their web site:

"A message from The Bad Plus to our fans and followers:

We will soon begin an exciting new chapter in our life as a band. As of January 1, 2018, The Bad Plus will consist of founding members Reid Anderson (bass) and Dave King (drums) and new member Orrin Evans (piano). Original pianist Ethan Iverson will finish out the 2017 touring schedule in support of the album It's Hard, culminating in a New Year's Eve gig at the Village Vanguard in New York City.

The Bad Plus have always been a band in the truest sense - a group of passionate collaborators with no single “leader”. That spirt will continue in full-force as we welcome Orrin into the group. This is not an act of replacement; no tryouts were held. We've known and respected Orrin as a musician and as a person for longer than The Bad Plus has existed. His heart and and his talents are simply a perfect match to continue our trajectory.

A brand-new album featuring the refreshed lineup will be recorded this fall for release in 2018, with a supporting tour cycle to follow. The Bad Plus' extensive songbook will continue to be represented at shows. We remain grateful to our supporters and invite you along with new listeners to be an integral part of our evolution and the exciting music it's sure to deliver."

That's going to be a very different presentation with no Ethan Iverson, but Dave King always makes interesting stuff, so, whatever this band will be, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a cool thing. I've seen these guys 3 times and I think they're awesome.

I love their version of "The Rite of Spring."