Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Focus: Hocus Pocus box set

Focus: Hocus Pocus box set

https://www.amazon.com/Hocus-Pocus-B...ocus+pocus+box

I've never owned an album by them. Looks like a good way to go about it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Nearly everything they ever did for sixty bucks, you can't go wrong. You'd just need Live in America and the BBC album to complete the collection (assuming the "Best of Focus" is the recent re-recordings).

I like all their records, and really like Jan Akkerman as a guitarist, but Live at the Rainbow and Hamburger Concerto are probably best representative discs...

We will have it for significantly less....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Great Prog drummer, great Prog guitarist, great ....well just about everything but the vocals, admittedly an acquired taste....ymmv!

I'm definitely interested in this. Anyone know of the quality? There are folks on the Steve Hoffman forum that have criticized the releases on this label. I'm not an audiophile so I'm not listening for perfection, but would be happy with a good quality release.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurfrayn View Post
    I like all their records, and really like Jan Akkerman as a guitarist, but Live at the Rainbow and Hamburger Concerto are probably best representative discs...
    agree they are both essential----love Focus---4 first rate musicians---Melody Maker polls were legendary and Howe would win best guitarist most of the time (sometimes Clapton or Page) but the year Hamburger came out Akkerman won best---he is an amazing player and another real tragedy that he and Van Leer don't get along---right up there with the Howe Anderson ---Hackett Banks will never play together again mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Then it seems like a no-brainer for the uninitiated.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Then it seems like a no-brainer for the uninitiated.
    I guess that qualifies me, then. Make mine Wayside. Gotta get those new Magma reissues anyway.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Looks like a great set...no brainer to get this from Wayside.
    G.A.S -aholic

There is also a 21 CD Complete Kayak box set that popped up on the suggestions page for this.

Tempting (partially because of the mini-Lps) for that kind of price, but I don't need many of them -and not just the post-70's stuff

As for 3 and Live at The Rainbow, I prefer the other artworks too (Sire label artworks), because I brew up with them

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...cus/focus-3-7/

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...t_the_rainbow/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurfrayn View Post
    Also my opinion.

he is an amazing player and another real tragedy that he and Van Leer don't get along---right up there with the Howe Anderson ---Hackett Banks will never play together again mess.
    Love his playing and have a number of his solo discs as well. As to not getting along with other band members -it seems like a kind of job where you can see too much of another person. One day, it's just not worth it.

I also like the original version big single -natch -I remember vividly hearing it the radio when I was a kid and bought the 45,. The guitar still kicks ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    There is also a 21 CD Complete Kayak box set that popped up on the suggestions page for this.
    Yeah, and a link on the pgae for that indicates there's also a Golden Earring set. What's with all these Dutch legacy bands suddenly putting out these "complete recordings" sets?!

I need to get all three sets. Well, I don't need, but I would like to have them. I don't nkow about the Focus, but apparently the other two are "limited editions".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Same here, will want to get this!

Many wonders await you.

As usual, I lied. They made a deal with a US distributor for this and we can't bring it in from Europe and save people money. Oh well.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

What will be interesting is if the keyboard behind the Akkerman solo is put back into Harem Scarem on Hamburger Concerto. I have to pull out the LP to hear that these days. I miss it. It had a nice distancing effect from JA's guitar line...That would totally be a sale for me...
    Listening to Answers?Questions! Questions? Answers! on Live at the Rainbow as I type this. Love the way this guy plays guitar!

Wow, I was just listening to Hamburger Concerto a week or so ago and wishing for a new box set.

You can all thank me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So, what, if any, are the weak links in this set?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, what, if any, are the weak links in this set?
    Compressed mastering?

Looks interesting, considering the price. Adding 7 albums I don't own, makes it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Though I'm a big fan of them, I don't get that one. I have everything already and spending that money just for a double with unrealesed stuff, is a bit to much.

Focus whithout one or the other (Jan or Theis) is not really Focus to me.