Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post a good unknown album or two or more

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    The Foodband : same 1979, a German band that I used to love and see quite often when I was still in high school.They recorded two records and split The singer Wolf Maahn had a decent solo career in Germany . He tried to copy Springsteen a lot. The first record was recorded and released for WEA UK and one year later with a different name (in form of a pun 'Last years album ) in Germany and has never been released on CD to my knowledge. The song below got a lot of airplay on the regional WDR Radio.

https://youtu.be/6-q9NcgmpIs

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Wolf Maahn is the brother of Hans Bäär, who used to be a member of Hoelderlin.

One of my favorites from the Young Ones, Nine Below Zero:

These two are unknown enough:
    band: trip shakespeare, album: lulu
    band: trip shakespeare, album: across the universe

everything by Double Naught Spy Car https://doublenaughtspycar.bandcamp.com/

these are unknown enough too:

john royen - solo tradition: stride style jazz piano
    daniel kane - on the street where you live
    do'a - light upon light
    the balancing act - three squares and a roof

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is not the kind of band I'd usually think to listen to, but one of the guys from House of Prog played them even though they're not prog, and they caught my ear. They make me think of Squirrel Nut Zippers, but I didn't like Squirrel Nut Zippers and I think these guys are way better. Not sure what you'd call it, but sort of a retro swing, jazz, vocal thing. The woman who sings writes really interesting lyrics, and IMO her voice is great and the lyrics work really well with her voice. Unfortunately my two favorites songs aren't on YT, but this one's great as well:

BTW, they're from San Francisco and are coming to the East Coast for the first time in a couple of weeks! I'll be at their show at The Bowery Electric. Unfortunately a couple of other bands are playing so I don't know how long they'll get to play or when they'll go on.

If you liked that at all, give this a listen - my favorite song by them:

https://royaljellyjive.bandcamp.com/track/h-m-s-soulbay

Last edited by miamiscot; 08-16-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You guys might know this - just stumbled on it:

This thread deserves a bump.

Back in 2017, their music was not on YouTube, but it is now:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Rsbj75kR-QDonA

And here is a description from the Link I posted in 2017:

Lead and Thoughts and Spears is a southern California three-piece Progressive Dreampop band from the early to late 90's. Ones first impression of Lead and Thoughts and Spears would be that these three artists are heavily influenced by David Sylvian, and Robin Guthrie's work. However; their compositions are much different, with delicate mix ups, progressions and crescendos.

[QUOTE=Progbear;709695]As previously mentioned in another thread, I think the Movies’ fourth album, India, is a seriously underrated power-pop album:

....and formed from the ashes of Public Foot The Roman.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'll go with this one:

Where "unknown" is based on Bandcamp saying it only appears in 51 collections.

It deserves a wider audience in my opinion. Some folks might be familiar with the KoMaRa project where "Ma" is for Mastelotto, well, this is KoMaRa's predecessor band with a different drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    These two are unknown enough:
    band: trip shakespeare, album: lulu
    band: trip shakespeare, album: across the universe
    I remember this band. I never owned the album "across the universe" but I remember it because my brother bought it after I mentioned seeing an ad for it in a magazine. Not prog but maybe something like arty alternative. The song that stood out for me was "turtledove." Anyway, after they broke up, some of the members went on to form Semisonic who had a hit with "closing time" in the late 90s.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Hadn't listened to TS for years until a few weeks ago when I noticed that the vocals have pitch problems during more than several spots on that album. I was surprised that I haven't noticed it before. I guess I was more focused on the melodies and such. That album and the next one Lulu are fun nevertheless. It is clear some of the vocalists have sung notes higher than their comfort zone in places, it shows. Would have been nice if they had not tried too hard and instead sung lower in those parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Hadn't listened to TS for years until a few weeks ago when I noticed that the vocals have pitch problems during more than several spots on that album. I was surprised that I haven't noticed it before. I guess I was more focused on the melodies and such. That album and the next one Lulu are fun nevertheless. It is clear some of the vocalists have sung notes higher than their comfort zone in places, it shows. Would have been nice if they had not tried too hard and instead sung lower in those parts.
    Singing higher than their normal register? Isn't that what falsetto is all about? I imagine The Beach Boys and others would sound different if they didn't do that. I've always noticed that the Moody Blues have singing that is like that too (not the lead singing but the backing vocal harmonies). From a technical standpoint it can be annoying but it's never really bothered me personally and I even think it's part of the charm. I know what you mean about TS though and you can kind of hear it on that song "turtledove."
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Well they/sound were struggling in those spots, to my ears. Falsetto or not. You can tell when somebody's seeing a high note well

*singing

Luciano Cilio

Robbie Basho

From my more recent acquisitions.. Walkie Talkies 'Surveillance' (UK Rialto 1980), pretty cool artsy / progsy New Wave stuff. It doesn't hurt of course that 'God himself' performs keys on this LP (I refer of course to Mr Dave Stewart of Egg, National Health) however this was not the selling point for me, as he is for some reason not even credited on the sleeve, so I had no idea he was on this until I looked it up!

[QUOTE=veteranof1000psychicwars;1151272]
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Public Foot The Roman.
    Wow! Haven't heard that band name in forever. I bought the album used must be 20 years ago sound unheard only because it was on Capitol's Sovereign label, the same label as the first couple of Flash albums. Have no recollection of listening to it. I'll have to dig it out, dust it off, and give it a whirl.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Perhaps not really prog
    Stadion - s/t
    I've often described it as ELO goes punk. One of the members was Sebastian Öberg, who also played with Flasket Brinner

Another one featuring Sebastian Öberg
    Johann Lindell - Fagelvägen