Thread: Kansas, reviewed by a Celine Dion fan

Kansas, reviewed by a Celine Dion fan

Online I recently met a gay guy who lives in Thailand. He writes music and his favorite singer is Celine Dion. We talked on the phone and I described "Death of Mother Nature Suite"; he said it sounded impossible. I sent him a link, and though that song wasn't to his liking, all by himself he discovered two others:

"However, I am really impressed by Mariabronn and Song for America. I cannot say I like or hate them. Just shocked and speechless. I have never heard of anything like that before. They're complicated, masterfully performed and show excellent songwriting craftsmanship. Totally mind-blowing. They're totally fearless with those what-the-heck chord progressions and I do hear some elements of classical music there! Yes, music should be like this. Expression and creativity without regard to traditional or popular inclinations. It breaks the boundaries of what a music genre should be. And the synths - oh, man. . . I didn't know they could pull that off decades ago. Real geniuses they are."

Pretty succinct summary, no?

One has to wonder what he would have said about those songs if he actually did like them.

I have a friend who is also a Celine Dion fan. One day I was talking with him about how people denigrate my taste because I like Kansas, and he said, "How can they do that? At least these people play their instruments and play them well. They put hard work into making that music."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I have a friend who is also a Celine Dion fan. One day I was talking with him about how people denigrate my taste because I like Kansas, and he said, "How can they do that? At least these people play their instruments and play them well. They put hard work into making that music."
    SIngers play an instrument, the voice. Would he make the same argument to a person who liked, say, Frank Sinatra better than Limp Bizkit?

Near------far----where ever you are------------

well I don't like Kansas or Celine but I have found if you turn someone on to progish music---if they know anything about music or are musicians---they will find something to admire even if it's not their thing.

It proves that there are millions/billions out there who have no idea that rock bands can really play their instruments and write songs. They only hear the sh!t on the radio and have no conception of what is possible and they might even like it if they heard it. Good post.

In the early 80s I worked with a guy who was a classical musician. He said he hated rock because none of them could play and the music was insipid. His example was Another One Bites The Dust. So, having an Aiwa walkman with a pristine recording of The Dregs' Industry Standard with me, I convinced him to listen to one song. It was Conversation Piece. He was blown away. Said he didn't even think such articulation was possible on an electric guitar and thanked me.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    SIngers play an instrument, the voice. Would he make the same argument to a person who liked, say, Frank Sinatra better than Limp Bizkit?
    And there's a difference between Luciano Pavarotti and the White Stripes, but we're not talking about that. Steve Walsh had a good voice (though it wouldn't be to his taste) and he was surrounded by good instrumentalists. Good voice + solid instrumentalists > good voice alone.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    In the early 80s I worked with a guy who was a classical musician. He said he hated rock because none of them could play and the music was insipid. His example was Another One Bites The Dust. So, having an Aiwa walkman with a pristine recording of The Dregs' Industry Standard with me, I convinced him to listen to one song. It was Conversation Piece. He was blown away. Said he didn't even think such articulation was possible on an electric guitar and thanked me.
    That's a great tune and a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    In the early 80s I worked with a guy who was a classical musician. He said he hated rock because none of them could play and the music was insipid. His example was Another One Bites The Dust.
    Wow. Can a classical musician groove like that?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. Can a classical musician groove like that?
    A marching band drum-line - which is in some sense classical music - can.