Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stewart Copeland’s Gizmodrome announce debut album

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I really liked the stuff Copeland did as Klark Kent (essentially rejected Police songs) - he's got a very distinct sense of melody, once you get a feel for it, you can instantly recognize his style. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned that the album contains two reworked KK tunes. This feels like a (30 years late!) follow-up to that material, though the fact that Stew doesn't have to play everything improves it quite a bit. I'm a fan.
    This. The Klark Kent stuff is very cool and a must for Police fans (unless said fans dislike stuff such as “It’s Alright for You”, “Contact” or “The Other Way of Stopping”, in which case they’re not really fans). I recently also dusted off The Rhythmatist and got a kick out of that too.

Gizmodrome is a ton of fun.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Four songs in on the first listen.

Kept trying to place the vocal style.

It's not Zappa.

It's Mike Watt. They sound nearly identical!
    When King is on the mic, I also have to think of Keneally a bit. They even have the same initials. That can't be coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    When King is on the mic, I also have to think of Keneally a bit. They even have the same initials. That can't be coincidence.
    Oh yeah, I can see that.

I love Mark King, and Level 42. Hearing him in this context is just so much fun.

Actually, the only member I was not familiar with is Mr. Cosma, but his work on the keys is excellent. These guys have made a really fun collection of songs together.

"Ride Your Life" is a killer tune. It may sound crazy, but it reminds me of NoMeansNo.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Actually, the only member I was not familiar with is Mr. Cosma, but his work on the keys is excellent. These guys have made a really fun collection of songs together.
    The keys are great. I mean, everything is. The thing is that it doesn't sound like some stale supergroup. There's a team spirit and sense of joy that can't be faked or glossed over/in in post production.

This. The Klark Kent stuff is very cool and a must for Police fans (unless said fans dislike stuff such as “It’s Alright for You”, “Contact” or “The Other Way of Stopping”, in which case they’re not really fans). I recently also dusted off The Rhythmatist and got a kick out of that too.

Gizmodrome is a ton of fun.
    I gave this a brief break long enough to throw on Kollected a few times and can very easily see the stuff that doesn't sound like The Police complementing this album live.

I'll dig out Rhythmatist this weekend to see what else might be a good fit for the set.

Really looking forward to a gig.

The keys are great. I mean, everything is. The thing is that it doesn't sound like some stale supergroup. There's a team spirit and sense of joy that can't be faked or glossed over/in in post production.
    Exactly. Seems like this was done for all of the right reasons which is why I always appreciate this kind of thing. Total vibe festival.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I'll dig out Rhythmatist this weekend to see what else might be a good fit for the set.
    "Gong Rock" should work and "Serengeti Long Walk" too. Hope they play "Love Lessons" and record it...

Interviews with SC are always entertaining. Here’s another one (scroll down...starts at around 7’30):

https://tim.blog/2017/09/06/stewart-copeland/

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Got my copy of the Riff Tricks instrumental version yesterday. Gave it a first listen on the good cans last night. Sounds fantastic.
    Are these non-vocal versions of the album?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Pretty much. There's some slight mix differences as well, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    There's 8 tracks. 6 Instrumental remixes, one remix with vocals, and one song from the album with alternate vocals - I posted a video a little upthread regarding that; there's a track on the album, Zombies at the Mall, that has its origins in an older Copeland/Cosma tune - that version, with Italian vocals, closes out Riff Tricks.

https://gizmodrome.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=33682

While the "main" Gizmodrome album was being mixed in Milan, all recorded music was sent to Hamburg, Germany, at Chameleon Studio. Local producer and engineer Eike Freese mixed the alternative instrumental versions on this EP without having listened to what had been used on the studio album nor what was the sound and the mood of the "main mixes".

The result is outstanding, the songs are shown from a totally different perspective from their album versions. Instruments originally suppose to sustain the songs have become the lead and without the presence of a vocal part, the joyous virtuosity can shine in all its glory.

Pre-ordered this album from Amazon UK, and it arrived just before I returned to China. I was really looking forward to receiving the cd, thinking that with that line-up, how could you really go wrong?? Thoughts so far: it's good, but my word, Stewart Copeland's vocals are something of an 'acquired taste,' and, if anything, it stylistically reminds me of Oysterhead's The Grand Pecking Order from 2001. I'll have to look into the instrumental versions of the tunes, as that sounds very intriguing indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Pre-ordered this album from Amazon UK, and it arrived just before I returned to China. I was really looking forward to receiving the cd, thinking that with that line-up, how could you really go wrong?? Thoughts so far: it's good, but my word, Stewart Copeland's vocals are something of an 'acquired taste,' and, if anything, it stylistically reminds me of Oysterhead's The Grand Pecking Order from 2001. I'll have to look into the instrumental versions of the tunes, as that sounds very intriguing indeed.
    I can definitely see the Oysterhead similarities, although I think I much prefer Gizmodrome personally. Claypool's singing was never very enjoyable to me, but there was some killer stuff on that album still.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Supposedly the Japanese version includes the instrumental disc.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I can definitely see the Oysterhead similarities, although I think I much prefer Gizmodrome personally. Claypool's singing was never very enjoyable to me, but there was some killer stuff on that album still.
    I thought Trey Anastasio's stuff was really good on this album - the clear highlights to me are "Oz is Ever Floating", "Birthday Boy", and "Radon Balloon". Strange because I much prefer Primus to Phish.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

They played a few shows in Europe recently, anybody here go?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

it doesn't sound like some stale supergroup. There's a team spirit and sense of joy that can't be faked or glossed over/in in post production.
    Well said. It's just what I look for in a supergroup: everyone's talents are put to good use for what this project is, but without resting on any past associations. There's need to evoke the sounds of their better-known bands in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I thought Trey Anastasio's stuff was really good on [the Oysterhead] album
    I definitely prefer Phish to Primus, so I'd agree there. That one was a weird mix. Some tunes were definitely Trey and some could have fit on any other Les project out there, but there were a few that managed a nice combination of the two. I'm still disappointed they didn't stick around long enough to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    They played a few shows in Europe recently, anybody here go?
    Still waiting for US gigs hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Still waiting for US gigs hopefully.
    Same here. Ade's Power Trio is touring soon as 4 nights are listed in early June at The Iridium jazz club. Nothing on his website yet, only another Gizmodrome show listed for April in Japan.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I asked Adrian about US dates and there are no specifics yet but they will happen. I hope I can see them live - I think it's a wonderful album and he says the stuff is even better live.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I asked Adrian about US dates and there are no specifics yet but they will happen. I hope I can see them live - I think it's a wonderful album and he says the stuff is even better live.
    I sure hope so. From what I read, Pete Ray Biggin from Level42 will handle the drums while Copeland sings up front. The dude is killer, and imagine him and Copeland bashing it up together will be an event in itself!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I sure hope so. From what I read, Pete Ray Biggin from Level42 will handle the drums while Copeland sings up front. The dude is killer, and imagine him and Copeland bashing it up together will be an event in itself!
    I really can't wait for this!