Thread: The Bad Plus

The Bad Plus

I just did a search and these guys did not pop up. I don't know maybe they don't do a lot of touring UK or abroad. They are pretty much jazz guys, but it's obvious that growing up they are informed by a progressive sensibility. If you've never heard them "Give" is kind of a must have for anyone prog minded. I ran out and got this disc after seeing them open for Ornette Coleman. And the satellite groups -Gang the Font Interloper, Happy Apple, Dave King Trucking -are all worth a serious listen as well.

I forgot the obvious- another example from the album Prog

Been a big fan for quite some time. Covering pop songs and songs of their youths is a well-worn jazz tradition they do well.

I'll recommend this team-up with Bill Frisell:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/15800...port-jazz-2012

and their "cover" of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"

Saw them perform this Rite of Spring thing -it was awesome! They also did a performance of Ornette Coleman's Science Fiction Sessions which was truly beyond!!

Great band. I'm listening to Dave King Trucking Company right now. King has his hands in quite a few really good bands.

Their cover of "Tom Sawyer" is amazing, and as others have stated, their interpretation of Rite of Spring is incredible. ISTR that King did not sight read any of it when they performed it live.

Really into Dave King Trucking right now. Surrounded By the Night is a very listenable disc!
    Last edited by arthurfrayn; 06-15-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I wish King's live duo work with David Torn and his trio with Torn and Tim Berne had produced recordings other than the amateur ones on the web. I'd buy 'em.

Their cover of the Aphex Twin tune "Flim" is one of their stand out moments: