Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Band name reference

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So are Genesis, Exodus...and are there other bands whose names are taken from Biblical books?
    2nd Chapter of Acts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Chapter_of_Acts

Lyle Lovett released a (great) album called Joshua Judges Ruth

Islidur's Bane and Shadowfax both derived their names from Lord Of The Rings. As I recall Islidur's Bane was the "One ring to rule them all" and Shadowfax was Gandalf's horse. Speaking of which, wasn't there a band called Gandalf, also?

Islidur's Bane and Shadowfax both derived their names from Lord Of The Rings. As I recall Islidur's Bane was the "One ring to rule them all" and Shadowfax was Gandalf's horse. Speaking of which, wasn't there a band called Gandalf, also?
    I think Gandalf is the pseudonymn of Austrian musician Heinz Strobl. Didn't he also work with Steve Hackett?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think Gandalf is the pseudonymn of Austrian musician Heinz Strobl. Didn't he also work with Steve Hackett?
    It is, and he did. He also worked with Lanvall (alias Arne Stockhammer) who probably derived his name from that of an Arthurian knight in the story Lanval.
    And there have been bands named Gandalf, including an American psych outfit and a Finnish death metal group.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Steppenwolf & Aerosmith are book titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe someone already asked, but do you mean the Sinclair Lewis novel Arrowsmith? Have they said the name came from that?

T'Pau, a late 80's English pop band, took their name from Star Trek.

For what it's worth, Allan Holdsworth's album Atavachron also takes it's name from a Star Trek episode, All Our Yesterdays (which also served as the title of one of the pieces on the album). And should anyone miss those two allusions, the cover depicts Allan wearing Starfleet pajamas.

Guns N Roses were so named, reputedly, because the group was made up of musicians fro two different bands, LA Guns and Hollywood Rose. LA Guns, in turn, derived their name from that of their guitarist, Tracii Guns.

It's usually stated that the "MG's" in Booker T & The MG's stood for "Memphis Groovers", but I believe I've also heard Booker T Jones say that one of the guys who worked at Stax Records drove an MG, which everyone else coveted, and that's really where the group name came from.

Some esoteric references:
    Current 93 , Alister Crowley reference, from memory Jimmy Page was also a fan if Crowley
    The Secret Chiefs 3 , link to spiritual occult guide
    The Lodge, tongue in cheek Peter Blegvad esoterics
    Esoteric , great album title 'Epistemological Despondency'
    Last edited by alucard; 06-17-2017 at 03:00 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Some esoteric references:
    Current 93 , Alister Crowley reference, from memory Jimmy Page was also a fan if Crowley
    Page actually owned Crowley's house for a time. Page's interest in Crowley and such things (to the point of owning an occult book store) was often time cited by those stupid religious fanatics back in the 80's as proof that Led Zeppelin (and rock music in general) was "evil". Robert Plant reputedly once blamed Page's dabbling in t black magic for the string for the string of unfortunate incidents that hit the band in the late 70's.

Speciality of Italian bands, long band names with references to everyday life:
    Raccomandata con Ricevuta di Ritorno , registered letter with return
    Premiata Forneria Marconi, reference to an existing bakery
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, cooperate bank

Another category would be bands named after cities and/or states: Kansas, Chicago, Boston, Alabama Shakes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Another category would be bands named after cities and/or states: Kansas, Chicago, Boston, Alabama Shakes.
    Or continents:
    Europe
    Asia

Thermænius (Pierre Dørge's band)
    Named after a Swedish Combine Harvester

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 06-22-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Or continents:
    Europe
    Asia
    French Avant duo 'Vialka' , someone ask during the interview at the RIO for the meaning of their name and they told its was the name of a small town in Siberia where they had been thrown of a train by drunken soldiers in the middle of winter , like let's remember that it can't get any worse.

Potemkine ( a village, a battleship, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigory_Potemkin )

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Also,
    New England
    Toronto
    Chilliwack

If you want to extend it countries and continents, you can add:

Japan
    America
    Europe
    Mission From Burma

There's gotta be more than that, but that's all I cn think of right now.

^^^

There's a few metal bands whose names also derive from LOTR: Cirith Ungol, Gorgoroth and Amon Amarth as a starter.
    Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Potemkine ( a village, a battleship, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigory_Potemkin )

ALso the title of a classic silent movie, directed by Sergei Eisenstein.

So are Genesis, Exodus...and are there other bands whose names are taken from Biblical books?

I know Stryper's name was derived from a particular quote from the book of Isiah (also apparently the source of the bubble bee stage/costume/guitar motif).

I believe there was a band called Barabbas (the thief who was set free so that Jesus Christ could be crucified in his place).

There's gotta be other bands with Biblical names.
    Pearls Before Swine
    Happy the Man
    Kingdom Come
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Happy the Man
    I had the understanding that HTM got their name from Goethe's Faust (and not, as was erroneously believed by some, the Genesis B-side, which the HTM guys hadn't even heard of when they chose their name, though they were apparently fans).

I had the understanding that HTM got their name from Goethe's Faust (and not, as was erroneously believed by some, the Genesis B-side, which the HTM guys hadn't even heard of when they chose their name, though they were apparently fans).
    I looked up the biblical quotation for Happy the Man, and I guess it depends on which translation you use; I found this from the King James version: "Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding." Not familiar with Faust, other than the German band.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I looked up the biblical quotation for Happy the Man, and I guess it depends on which translation you use; I found this from the King James version: "Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding." Not familiar with Faust, other than the German band.
    The name Faust derives from a German legend, dating back several centuries, revolving around a successful but unhappy scholar who sells his soul to the devil for unlimited knowledge and power. In the early 19th century, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote a play based on the legend, called simply Faust, which is now considered a classic of stage literature.

And I'm sure I've read where it was said the band took the phrase from the play.

Kin Ping Meh - German translation of a Chinese novel title.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Kin Ping Meh - German translation of a Chinese novel title.
    Rather the German pronunciation of the Chinese signs. These words have no meaning in German.

(the real German Translation would be "Pflaumenblütenzweig in goldener Vase")
    Last edited by TheH; 07-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.