Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam West Dies at Age 88

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Adam West Dies at Age 88

Oh POW! THWOCK! OOF! BANG!

RIP
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Aw, bummer. He worked to the end. Loved that guy. Batman Forever!
    RIP Adam.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Holy buzzkill Batman!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wow! I truly loved Adam West when I watched the Batman movie with his commentary on. He was laughing at all the parts I was laughing at, and they weren't the set-ups in the movie, but rather when things were too absurd to take seriously (which was often).

As I get older, I find that only Adam West West played Batman with all the seriousness and dignity the character deserves.

R.I.P. Adam West - Thanks for keeping us from taking ourselves too seriously.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

RIP. Batman was a big favorite in the 60s. I remember the show was on twice a week. Same bat-channel. That cliffhanger at the end of the episode always had us talking about the next ep all geeked up. I remember seeing the feature film at a kiddie matinee and staying to watch it 2-3 more times.

By the way, Julie Newmar as Catwoman was out of this world HOT.

As usual I'll be watching the old reruns on MeTv, tonight at midnight; with a heavy heart though.

RIP Batman, Mayor West.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    My favorite Batman.
    RIP
    Agreed. No Dark Knight for me, give me Adam West trading snarky lines with Cesar Romero.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Agreed. No Dark Knight for me, give me Adam West trading snarky lines with Cesar Romero.
    Cesar Romero -- the first Hollywood actor to get a nose job.

He will always be the only Batman who mattered. Fantastic performance - with just the right amount of tongue-in-cheek. And by all accounts a really nice, warm guy. What a shame. RIP.

First time I ever heard of Burgess Meredith was when he played the Penguin on Batman. Lot's of good actors on that show.

In a world where a lot of actors tend to resent being associated with such an iconic role and being typecast as a result, Adam West seemed to revel in making fun of the fact that for a lot of people, he'd forever be Batman. I don't know how many TV shows I saw him on where he seemed to be sort of laughing at that whole thing.

There was a great episode of The Simpsons where Homer, Bart, and Lisa go to a car show, and Adam West is signing autographs. Of course, the kids don't recognize him because they're "too young to remember" and only know the early 90's Tim Burton directed Batman movies. Adam says something like "I didn't need molded rubber to make me look built!". A couple years ago, he was on a Big Bang Theory, where he gets into a debate with the guys about who the best Batman was, reiterating the molded rubber argument.
    As I get older, I find that only Adam West West played Batman with all the seriousness and dignity the character deserves.
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I've long felt the problem with most of these comic book movies is they take the material way too seriously. I think the first two Superman movies were the only one that did it with a straight face, but with just enough of a wink to not seem ridiculous. In general, I think these kind of things have to be done tongue-in-cheek. That's why I still think Flash Gordon was so great, they knew they were making a turkey, so they just had fun with it.

RIP Adam West, old chum. When I was a kid I worshiped the guy. And the car. And the various actresses who played Catwoman stirred uncomfortable feelings for me.

(I'll save my arguments over definitive Batman for later in the thread)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well, the man did well. 88 is a lotta years. Compared to Superman he had a very long life.

He'll always be Batman, Mayor West, and the astronaut who died at the beginning of Robinson Crusoe on Mars to me.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

What a bummer to read this headline this morning. RIP Adam West, my first Batman. I still can't believe his career never really bounced back after Batman was cancelled. He did get work, just not enough to restore his leading man status.

RIP
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

RIP to a class act who never took himself too seriously. I loved that show!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP to the REAL Batman!

Sad news. I watched that show regularly back in the 60s. I'll spin some Biff Bang Pow! in his honor.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Batman.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The LA Times reached out to Newmar for her thoughts on West, whom she saw a few weeks ago at the Hollywood Show, an autograph signing experience for fans:

Stellar, exemplar, a king to the end. He was bright, witty and fun to work with. I will miss him in the physical world and savor him always in the world of imagination and creativity. He meant so much to people. A friend said: 'The father that we wanted.' That is a great gift, no matter how you live it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Class 'A' Bummer.

Yeah, I was sitting right in front of the TV with my brothers in the 60's too.

My first LP was Batman and other TV show themes by some unknown band. I think it's still at my parents house...