Thread: TV Creature Feature Hosts

TV Creature Feature Hosts

Over the years, I've watched many creature feature programs that were often hosted by someone in costume who introduced the movies. I remember Dr. Shock, Elvira, Wolfman Mac, and the current Svenghoulie. My absolute favorite was The Ghoul. images.jpeg
    He'd often denigrate the movies as "voyage to the bottom of the barrel." He had a doll called Froggie that he'd molest, sometimes slathering it with Chees Whiz, and he'd hop around the studio on a Hoppity Hop. He'd mock the network, Kaiser Globe Broadcasting, calling it "the Kaiser." He was the Uncle Floyd or Soupy Sales of horror shows. Anyone have other favorites out there?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Feep! http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum....t#.WTmVIWgrLYY

I wasn't allowed to stay up that late when I was a little kid, but the same guy hosted a weekday morning kids' show as Major Muddl.

John Zacherly,The Cool Ghoul.RIP.
    Last edited by walt; 06-08-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Dr. Shock was the man in Philly when I was growing up.

Svengoolie is a joke. And their skits are beyond horribly unfunny.

Pittsburgh had Chilly Billy, who was another one that just couldn't hold a candle to classics like Dr. Shock and The Ghoul. Don't tell that to Pittsburghers, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My favorite:

images.jpg

Boston's Creature Double Feature didn't have a host, but its theme music was ELP's Toccata.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Svengoolie isn't any cornier than Elvira, just as bad as she was only without the hot body

Gavin Wallace-Ailsworth's (of Bent Knee) dad is / was a TV horror host in the Bay area. This came out the first time I met them for some reason and I was bigly, fan-boy impressed.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Svengoolie isn't any cornier than Elvira, just as bad as she was only without the hot body
    Yeah, it certainly does come with the territory. They could try a little harder, though.

Other shows didn't have hosts, like mentioned. Creature Feature on WNEW in New York. Chiller Theater from Philly.

I remember watching horror movies all day on Saturdays when I was a kid. All the Universal classics, 50s Sci-Fi. All of it. All day long and ending with Creature Feature at 10 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Over the years, I've watched many creature feature programs that were often hosted by someone in costume who introduced the movies. I remember Dr. Shock, Elvira, Wolfman Mac, and the current Svenghoulie. My absolute favorite was The Ghoul. images.jpeg
    He'd often denigrate the movies as "voyage to the bottom of the barrel." He had a doll called Froggie that he'd molest, sometimes slathering it with Chees Whiz, and he'd hop around the studio on a Hoppity Hop. He'd mock the network, Kaiser Globe Broadcasting, calling it "the Kaiser." He was the Uncle Floyd or Soupy Sales of horror shows. Anyone have other favorites out there?
    Grew up watching The Ghoul out of Detroit, and always though he was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Gavin Wallace-Ailsworth's (of Bent Knee) dad is / was a TV horror host in the Bay area. This came out the first time I met them for some reason and I was bigly, fan-boy impressed.
    Surely not the great Bob Wilkins?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

This was(afaik) the original opening from Chiller Theatre(circa 1961).Scared the mortal piss outta my brother and me.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Surely not the great Bob Wilkins?
    Dunno.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I did like Elvira in her first couple of years. Some of the skits she did were funny. Over time, they were run into the ground and it got tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Boston's Creature Double Feature didn't have a host, but its theme music was ELP's Toccata.
    I'd forgotten that it was Creature Feature at first, but when it proved popular they moved it up a few hours and made it Creature Double Feature.

I grew up in Detroit. The Ghoul ....Before that Sir Graves Ghastly. Famous Monsters Magazine anyone. Gogo artwork.
    Last edited by proghutch; 06-09-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Misspell

In Seattle, we had The Count.

Loosely related, this was a show filmed around here and shown to us Canadian kids early Saturday mornings. It was a complete acid-trip mind-f**k show!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm watching The Mummy's Tomb on Svengoulie right now.

As a kid growing up in North Central Ohio, we had Hoolihan & Big Chuck, who were very good, and the Ghoul. I'd give the nod to the Ghoul. Hoolihan & Big Chuck did skits that constantly poked fun at Cleveland's Eastern European immigrant population, and the Ghoul was basically "this is your brain on drugs." Great stuff, if you were a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    My favorite:

images.jpg
    Definitely.

"OoOoOoOoOoOoo, dees ees scAaAaAaAarr-r-ry! OWOOOOO!"

It was Frank Zappa's favorite, too - he wrote about how, the first time he saw Count Floyd, he uncontrollably laughed so hard he spewed coffee all over.

My memory might be sketchy, but I seem to remember Channel 51 in Miami had a show called The Purple Grotto.
    The host was a vampire-type who went by the name Count Borloff? I haven't ever found it online, but I remember
    liking the theme music.

Creature Feature came a few years after that (in Miami, at least). It was hosted by a laid-back local radio host, Arnie Warren.
    The show moved to daytime and Warren was replaced by Bwana Johnny. He was one of those goofball-types that would
    interrupt the movie with "jokes". I hated that at the time; I was about 12 and I wanted to remain locked into a scary movie.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Definitely.

"OoOoOoOoOoOoo, dees ees scAaAaAaAarr-r-ry! OWOOOOO!"

It was Frank Zappa's favorite, too - he wrote about how, the first time he saw Count Floyd, he uncontrollably laughed so hard he spewed coffee all over.
    And a RUSH connection to boot
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Does anyone remember Chuck the Security Guard and the All Night Show in Toronto. While not strictly creature features (he did play the odd one) it was a great show to to into the wee hours of morning.

In th NY area in the 70s I remember Creature Feature on channel 5 WNEW at 8:30 Saturday nights and Chiller Theater on channel 9 WOR .

I can't remember the host, exept the guy on WNEW had dark sunglasses and a low creepy voice.

I was a huge monster kid in grade school.

Anybody remember these?

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/1...-trading-cards
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone