Thread: ***Best Sounding Version of Peter Gabriel - 1(Car)***

***Best Sounding Version of Peter Gabriel - 1(Car)***

Just wondering what my fellow proggers think: Remaster or the Atco version....

1. UK or German pressing of the vinyl.

As for the CDs, I don't really have a strong preference for either version. The original CD has the better dynamic range; the remaster has a bit more clarity and punch, but is also compressed and loud.

I've not heard the SACD, or the half-speed vinyl (which appears to have had a quality control issue).

Ugh, I remember being in a Tower Records when the SACDs were released ...and not purchasing them. Worth a small fortune right now.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Ugh, I remember being in a Tower Records when the SACDs were released ...and not purchasing them. Worth a small fortune right now.
    I've got a bunch of them stored. Just checked the Ebay prices - may need to sell them off.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    This one:

Yes!!

I have the original CD and the remaster. I always felt that the first two albums sounded a bit off on the original CD's. Interestingly, I think some tracks sound better on the original, some better on the remaster. I still need to get the remaster of the second album to see if the same is true.

I like the UK Virgin/Charisma cd from the 1980's. Most natural sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I have the original CD and the remaster. I always felt that the first two albums sounded a bit off on the original CD's. Interestingly, I think some tracks sound better on the original, some better on the remaster. I still need to get the remaster of the second album to see if the same is true.
    Agreed. The original CD and the remaster are different, but I don't think one as a whole is necessarily better than the other. This is a case where both are inferior to the original vinyl, though.

I have a mint 24" x 36" original promo poster for this album. Wonder if that's worth anything these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed. The original CD and the remaster are different, but I don't think one as a whole is necessarily better than the other. This is a case where both are inferior to the original vinyl, though.
    I agree too, which doesn't help the OP, but as was said above they are different sounding masters, so it could also depend on your hi-fi set-up. I have, but no longer use a Musical Fidelity CD player, which gave a warm (valve-based internal DAC) and detailed playback, so was more sympathetic to the later re-master, whereas the original CD came over as slightly muffled. Warts-and-all CD players might prefer the original CD, and make the re-master sound course.

I have the 2003 SACD, which is the best digital version I've heard, and fantastically engaging listen. 'Excuse Me' is playing now, which is interesting to listen to now, a week or two after 'Sgt. Pepper's' re-release. Lost out-take from 1967?
    Last edited by jcarr73729; 06-10-2017 at 07:22 AM.

^'Excuse Me' and 'Down The Dolce Vita' I have always struggled with. 'Excuse Me' too cute for my taste and '...Dolce Vita' has- for my taste- way overblown orchestration. I really enjoy the rest, although it's a bit of a stylistic mish-mash.

Only have the remaster, can't say I have a problem with it.

Love this record. My second fav Gabriel solo release (fav is "Scratch"). My CD seems pretty on par with the record, sound wise. It's actually one of the early ones where I wasn't incredibly disappointed. I am content.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurfrayn View Post
    Love this record. My second fav Gabriel solo release (fav is "Scratch"). My CD seems pretty on par with the record, sound wise. It's actually one of the early ones where I wasn't incredibly disappointed. I am content.
    Me too!

As for the songs, I've always liked "Excuse Me." Especially the "Who's got the money bags?" part. The songs on Car I've always been indifferent to are "Modern Love," and "Dolce Vita," whereas "Waiting For The Big One" just outright stinks. All the rest are amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Me too!

As for the songs, I've always liked "Excuse Me." Especially the "Who's got the money bags?" part. The songs on Car I've always been indifferent to are "Modern Love," and "Dolce Vita," whereas "Waiting For The Big One" just outright stinks. All the rest are amazing though.
    I always thought it was "You got the money back, that's OK. Who needs a Cadillac anyway?" . Possibly a comment on leaving Genesis just before the band started making real money.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I always thought it was "You got the money back, that's OK. Who needs a Cadillac anyway?" . Possibly a comment on leaving Genesis just before the band started making real money.
    The lyrics in the booklet from the 2002 remaster show you're right.