Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ian Anderson goes full Tull

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The guy who wrote the music and lyrics, sang, played, arranged, hired and fired countless musicians tours but isn't Jethro Tull because of one musician's firing? Don't see it.

Or put another way does Jethro Tull exist without MB? You bet your bippy it does, and would.

Would it exist without IA? Silly question.
    I agree.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Tull in Toronto about 8 years ago and Ian's voice was totally shot. I said that was my last time.
    I last saw IA perform in 2010 and his voice was in rough shape. Thing is, it was still better than the two previous times I saw Tull!

Ian Anderson is a living legend. I'm willing to cut him some slack on his singing after all these years.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, it was a lot better when he had Ryan O'Donnell to share the heavy lifting. I thought he was a terrific asset to the band both vocally and in terms of stage presence. But it looks like Kommissar Anderson has declared O'Donnell an un-person: he doesn't appear on the Tull website under "Ian Anderson Band Musicians (2012 – present)." Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. At least Martin didn't get kicked out of the band retroactively!
    http://jethrotull.com/musicians/ryan-odonnell-bio/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Not sure how to navigate there through normal browsing of the site, though.

Not sure how to navigate there through normal browsing of the site, though.
    Why are you replying to your own posts instead of editing them?

Does Dave know he talks about himself in the third person?

The reason I said a touring Jethro Tull without Ian might be interesting is because a lot of great players have come through that band. I'd love to see what they do with the material.

Of course the first Tull (less Mick Abrahams) basically became Wild Turkey, if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Does Dave know he talks about himself in the third person?

The reason I said a touring Jethro Tull without Ian might be interesting is because a lot of great players have come through that band. I'd love to see what they do with the material.

Of course the first Tull (less Mick Abrahams) basically became Wild Turkey, if I recall.
    Who would you expect to play in the band, aside from Barre? John Evans and Jeffrey Hammond have retired from music making. Barlow doesn't appear to have worked much in more than 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Glenn Cornick was the only Tull member in Wild Turkey. Clive Bunker's band after Tull was the short-lived Jude with Robin Trower, who was fresh out of Procol Harum. Mick Abrahams, of course, formed Blodwyn Pig.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Who would you expect to play in the band, aside from Barre? John Evans and Jeffrey Hammond have retired from music making. Barlow doesn't appear to have worked much in more than 10 years.
    Jethro Tull featuring BAP (Barre, Abrahams, & Pegg. Or Palmer, take your pick.).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Jethro Tull featuring BAP (Barre, Abrahams, & Pegg. Or Palmer, take your pick.).
    How about Barre, Pegg, Perry, Jobson and O'Donnell? They'd need a flute player. Van Leer?

The dotcom lineup was good. Now that they have all been replaced by young strangers I have lost interest in the current band. Not enough old style influence supporting Ian now. In fact he's gone all pop due to the new member influences

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ian Anderson is a living legend. I'm willing to cut him some slack on his singing after all these years.
    Mileage on IA's current vocals skills will vary, I guess. It is nice to see how much energy and enthusiasm he still has for being an entertainer, regardless of how shot his voice is. He "got" the performance angle of the business right from the start and hasn't let up.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Tull in Toronto about 8 years ago and Ian's voice was totally shot. I said that was my last time.
    No question Ian's a living legend, but saw him two years ago and said the same thing. Also find the young singer's antics (O'Donnell) irritating. Looking forward to seeing Martin's band this fall.

How does it work with Martin performing Tull songs on his own? Even the ones Ian wrote?

Here's the most recent setlist, plenty of IA penned tunes... http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/martin...-6be64e9a.html
    Last edited by Score2112; 06-08-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    How does it work with Martin performing Tull songs on his own? Even the ones Ian wrote?
    Do you mean how does it work legally or musically?

Legally anybody can play anything - musically it sounds great to me. The singer doesn't try to imitate IA - he's got his own style. It's great to hear the material done by a really tight band and with a singer who has a very strong voice - helps to remind me of why I like those songs so much.

Seems to work pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INnv7dPHvj8

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    No question Ian's a living legend, but saw him two years ago and said the same thing. Also find the young singer's antics (O'Donnell) irritating.
    I don't think O'Donnell is on this tour, and it seems to be the first post-Tull tour where Ian has no vocal help either onstage or on video.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I don't think O'Donnell is on this tour, and it seems to be the first post-Tull tour where Ian has no vocal help either onstage or on video.
    Well thats good news. Last time I saw IA, O'Donnell had a very prominent role, disappointingly (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    No question Ian's a living legend, but saw him two years ago and said the same thing. Also find the young singer's antics (O'Donnell) irritating. Looking forward to seeing Martin's band this fall.
    Paul Forrest of Dayglo Pirates sounds exactly like Ian did as a young man, with him singing you could close your eyes and feel as though you were back in '75 again but Ian's ego won't allow for that to happen, at least not on a touring basis.

https://youtu.be/dFDUC87pmh4
    Last edited by BarryLI; 06-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.

I've seen Martin multiple times and love what he does, I'd love it more if he'd pay a keys player to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    musically it sounds great to me. The singer doesn't try to imitate IA - he's got his own style. It's great to hear the material done by a really tight band and with a singer who has a very strong voice - helps to remind me of why I like those songs so much.
    I agree, having seen both Martin and Ian's shows relatively close together it was no contest which one we got the most enjoyment from (one was actually painful to sit through). Martin did a great job in recruiting Dan Crisp as a vocalist and 2nd guitarist, he excels at both and it's really cool to hear twin guitar harmonies that were never present in Tull shows.

FWIW i've seen Ian a few times without Martin and have the Homo and TAAB2 records and still refer to it all as Tull.

I'm sure the reason Ian inserts the Tull brand into all gigs and recordings is for marketing purposes only.
    Last edited by progholio; 06-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.

I imagine this is the Promoter being a bit naughty and billing it as Jethro Tull when it isn't.

Would the real Jethro Tull please, Stand Up, ah, for our Benefit?
    The older I get, the better I was.