Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Popol Vuh - 'nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Their WHAT!?!
    Their rockabilly phase, Carlberg man. BTW, Pharaos has got some meaty Fender Rhodes on it too. It's slick fusion, then.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Yup. That first note is one of the all-time great opening musical salvos. And, for me, this track -- with its hint of the demonic -- wipes away all frivolous suggestion of new-ageness.
    what you said! what you said!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Their WHAT!?!
    The period in their history when they sounded closest to a conventional rock band. Perhaps not an unbroken period, but I find that they released most "rock-oriented" material in the mid 70s. I don't see a lot of their music really as rock music, even if there are some guitars included.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I don't see a lot of their music really as rock music, even if
    The lengthy title track E&S ("Einsjäger") is not only a binafide progressive rock epic, but a magnificent one. IMO.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The lengthy title track E&S ("Einsjäger") is not only a binafide progressive rock epic, but a magnificent one. IMO.
    I agree.

I also agree. it's 19:24. An epic.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

One track makes "a rock period"?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    One track makes "a rock period"?
    If it's 19 minutes long.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Point taken. Objection withdrawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Has anyone else ever plumbed that whole ambient/spiritual thing with such grace and subtlety? .
    I think Daevid Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I think Daevid Allen
    You might as well suggest Raffi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Has there ever been a box set that collects several (or all) of their classic albums?
    There's a very nice long box (issued by SPV) including all the Werner Herzog soundtracks: Aguirre , Coeur De Verre , Nosferatu , Fitzcarraldo and Cobra Verde and also a superb photo/bio booklet. Not what I would call P.V's classic albums but good to have if you can get it cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    If it's 19 minutes long.
    Basically the whole album is like that. I also remember that it was Album of the Year in some Italian publication of the time.

Their WHAT!?!
    It might be a reference to the guitar playing....which truly wasn't far from sounding like Ted Turner of Wishbone Ash. The more soft gentle Rock style of Turner's playing on Argus...which sounded more spiritual than Andy Powell. So if you're thinking about Powell's playing ...then no , there isn't a comparison. During this period of Popol Vuh the drummer backed the guitar improvisation with a few Rock beats. This occurred for only a short amount of time in the 70's and was noticable on three albums.

I have all the official releases on CD which ends with Spirit Of Peace. Also have Yoga, which supposedly doesn't include Florian , but love it anyway. These are becoming rare, but short of that I have just the official releases and nothing too rare. Additionally I have the two Celestial Harmonies releases and a strange import compilation. I tried listening to later releases from the 90's and they did not hold my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I tried listening to later releases from the 90's and they did not hold my interest.
    It’s generally agreed that Spirit of Peace is the last non-soundtrack release of any worth.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It’s generally agreed that Spirit of Peace is the last non-soundtrack release of any worth.
    It's not for me to challenge the general opinion, but I'll just say that I like For You and Me, not to mention Messa di Orfeo and Kailash, though those two are essentially soundtracks. It's just City Raga and Shepherd's Symphony where I find nothing of worth.

So, which albums would you suggest one start with? I already have In den Gärten Pharaos, but haven't really heard anything else (and yes, I know the music after that album is completely different).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So, which albums would you suggest one start with? I already have In den Gärten Pharaos, but haven't really heard anything else (and yes, I know the music after that album is completely different).
    Einsjäger & Sibenjäger
    Letzte Tage - Letzte Nachte

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Einsjäger & Sibenjäger
    Letzte Tage - Letzte Nachte
    I hardly have anything left to add except that if you liked IDGP, Affenstunde might be of interest, since it was Florian’s only other Moog album.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I hardly have anything left to add except that if you liked IDGP, Affenstunde might be of interest, since it was Florian’s only other Moog album.
    Yeah, so I've heard. I know that after the second album, Fricke abandoned the synth (reputedly for religious reasons) and later sold his big modular to Klaus Schulze. That's one reason I've always been hesitant about exploring the subsequent albums, though I'm sure I'd probably like them.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    after the second album, Fricke abandoned the synth (reputedly for religious reasons) and later sold his big modular to Klaus Schulze. That's one reason I've always been hesitant about exploring the subsequent albums,
    My cent: drop Affenstunde and get Aguirre if you want more synth-based 70s Fricke. Then, for the ensuing Vuh style, try Hosianna for the celestial and tranquil approach, Einsjäger for the more powerful one and Letzte Tage for his altogether probably most varied work.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hosianna Mantra
    Einsjäger & Siebenjäger
    Aguirre
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My cent: drop Affenstunde and get Aguirre if you want more synth-based 70s Fricke. Then, for the ensuing Vuh style, try Hosianna for the celestial and tranquil approach, Einsjäger for the more powerful one and Letzte Tage for his altogether probably most varied work.
    Not sure I would drop Affenstunde, but yes, it's relatively unrepresentative album for PV... It sounds more like a Tangerine Dream album between Zeit, Atem, Phaedra and Rubycon.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure I would drop Affenstunde, but yes, it's relatively unrepresentative album for PV... It sounds more like a Tangerine Dream album between Zeit, Atem, Phaedra and Rubycon.
    But significantly less melodic and more attemptively "expressionist" and disharmonic than those. I personally find it somewhat baby-steps for Fricke, although he obviously already knew very well what he was doing and wanted to do.