Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHYLOCK and DAVID TORN at PROGDAY 2017!

SHYLOCK and DAVID TORN at PROGDAY 2017!

SHYLOCK and DAVID TORN at PROGDAY 2017!

---------------------

SHYLOCK (France)

“...When I thought I had seen everything with Museo Rosenbach, PFM or Osanna, Shylock appeared and finished as my favorite act of the festival....extraordinary musicians, who besides showing their skills, left their soul on stage. Simply wonderful!"

- Guillermo Urdapilleta, The Rocktologist, Baha Prog 2014

SHYLOCK is a French progressive rock band that formed in the 1970’s. The music became known for its instrumental richness and complexity, dark ambience, electric tension, and refined romanticism. Gialorgues and Ile de Fièvre became regarded as classic albums of the late-70s French progressive scene.

Most often compared to King Crimson, Pulsar and Arachnoid, SHYLOCK’s influence can be felt in bands like Änglagård, Xaal, Tiemko, and Minimum Vital.

Thirty-three years after disbanding, the group reformed in 2012 to perform the music worldwide again for people who had never seen them on stage. ProgDay is honored to host SHYLOCK for its first US appearance.

---------------------

DAVID TORN (Special Guest with Sonar)

David Torn is a composer, texturalist, guitarist, producer & whatnot of actual international stature, renowned for his unique musical voice which seems to span & un-define a range of idioms and styles. His work has had material impact & influence upon both film scoring and, generally, upon contemporary electric, electro-acoustic & electronic music.

You will also find David’s creative contributions on the works of other musical artists-of-note as diverse as David Bowie, Tim Berne, Jeff Beck, Mick Karn, David Sylvian, John Legend, Tori Amos, Meshell Ndegeocello, John Popper, Jan Garbarek, Jarboe, Laurie Anderson, Chocolate Genius, Don Cherry, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Tony Levin, Andy Rinehart, David Douglas, Manu Katché, etc.

SONAR's upcoming release, Vortex, was produced by David Torn. He also performs on the album. ...So it just seemed natural to have David sit-in with the band at their ProgDay performance.

Thank you to David for his interest in the idea, and working with us to make it happen. ProgDay is very excited to announce an exclusive performance of Sonar with special guest David Torn at Storybook Farm.

---------------------

Join SHYLOCK (France), FLOR DE LOTO (Peru), SONAR (Switzerland) with special guest DAVID TORN, and iNFiNiEN (US) for the twenty-third edition of ProgDay. ProgDay 2017 will take place on Saturday and Sunday, September 2nd and 3rd, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

To hear music from all this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music page (http://www.progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

Four more bands to be announced.

Thanks!

Michael

WOW!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Excellent stuff
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

May have to start scouting Chapel Hill hotels.

Good to know...

Holy SHIT

BooYah!
    Nice lineup adds.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    🙀 🤙

George mentioned at the end of RoSfest that Shylock would be playing ProgDay - but still great to see this confirmed.
    A chance to see them live might finally get me off my lazy ass and get me down to NC. (let's see what the wife has to say about that....)

Torn is a great add, too. Only seen him live once, ~30 years ago, as part of David Sylvian's band. I thought he stole the show.

Wow! That's quite a lineup! I don't know iNFiNiEN but I'd like to see the others, especially Shylock and David Torn!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    A chance to see Shylock live might finally get me off my lazy ass and get me up to NC. (let's see what the wife has to say about that....)
    Torn is a great add, too.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    G.A.S -aholic

David Torn! He did music for Twilight and Glee!!

Just kidding, though I see he did. Maybe he'll draw a younger crowd 😃 Seriously though, I don't think I've ever heard a Torn solo album. Can anyone recommend the best one to start with? Does he perform solo usually?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Just kidding, though I see he did. Maybe he'll draw a younger crowd 😃 Seriously though, I don't think I've ever heard a Torn solo album. Can anyone recommend the best one to start with? Does he perform solo usually?
    Two obvious ones to point to for a prog fan would be Cloud About Mercury, which has Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, and Mark Isham playing on it, and Bruford Levin Upper Extremities.

Other recordings that prog fans may know include the Tony Levin/David Torn/Alan White release and Polytown with Mick Karn and Terry Bozzio.

My personal favorites include What Means, Solid Traveller?, the Jan Garbarek album It's Okay To Listen To The Gray Voice, and The Everyman Band releases.

Just kidding, though I see he did. Maybe he'll draw a younger crowd �� Seriously though, I don't think I've ever heard a Torn solo album. Can anyone recommend the best one to start with? Does he perform solo usually?
    Although not a solo-album, you could start with the album David Torn made with Mick Karn and Terry Bozzio, called "Polytown":

A much loved solo-album is "Cloud About Mercury", featuring Bill Bruford, Mark Isham and Tony Levin. During some live-shows Mick Karn replaced Levin:

2 persons with the same recommendations in 1 minute!

"3 Minutes of Pure Entertainment" is one sure fire definition of Awesome!
    Also for some fun, look into SplatterCell-Oah
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

SONAR SONAR SONAR

Never heard Shylock, but hey - that'll probably get Greg Walker there which means GOODIES at the merch tables.

Sonar plays tomorrow with Torn in Zürich on a double-bill: http://www.sonar-band.ch/

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever heard a Torn solo album. Can anyone recommend the best one to start with? Does he perform solo usually?
    FWIW...Torn is announced as playing WITH Sonar, not as a separate act.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow! That's quite a lineup! I don't know iNFiNiEN but I'd like to see the others, especially Shylock and David Torn!
    Lorne, you'd dig them. Reminiscent of Bent Knee.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Really? I will check them out then!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    That's enough for me to go check them out, too!

neil

Banned
    Wow David Torn, I would have never guessed. His Clouds about Mercury was a breath of fresh air in the 80s.

Good Day MUSIC people...

Took a minute, today, to check out iNFiNiEN! Listening again right now. There's a complete live show at YouTube. Just wanted to say to Mr. Bennett and the band committee 'most excellent choice' - PDayfriends!

I'm going to stop listening RIGHT NOW... as I don't want to dilute my initial thoughts come the performance at the festivities!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 06-04-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Reserved a room today. Not sure I can go but hoping!