Thread: Artwork for the upcoming "The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert" DVD/Blu-ray

Artwork for the upcoming "The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert" DVD/Blu-ray

Jerry LoFaro has posted his artwork for the upcoming "The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert" DVD/Blu-ray

Forty years ago this July, I was thrilled to see Emerson, Lake & Palmer play for the first time (all 3 nights at MSG, with the full orchestra). In preparation, I painted a version of Trilogy and attached a note on the back confidently explaining that I should be hired to paint all of ELP’s future album covers. Once the show ended, I went up to the stage and instructed a roadie (ok, I begged him) to please deliver my art to the band…ok, righhhhhhht.

One year ago today I attended The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Show in Los Angeles. Musically and emotionally, it was one of the best shows I’ve ever been to, and I’m glad to have shared that experience with so many of my good friends that night. I believe it is now possible to say that I finally got a reply to the letter I wrote as a 17-year old, as Keith’s longtime bandmate & collaborator Marc Bonilla asked me to reimagine the iconic creature from Tarkus for the cover of the upcoming DVD release of that wonderful show. I’m humbled, and beyond honored that I was able to create this piece in memory of my hero, Keith Emerson.
    LoFaro2.jpg
    LoFaro1.jpg
    Last edited by rminsk; 05-30-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Congratulations !!!!!

Cover looks great !!!

I was at one of those nights at MSG........magical to say the least !!!......has it really been 40 years????
    G.A.S -aholic

Very cool!
    Congrats!

I too was at one of the shows at MSG. I was late because as I sat on the subway I suddenly realized I had forgotten my ticket at home! That was a terrible experience to have to rush back home and then start back. When I got off the Subway under MSG I could actually hear the bass from the concert. I was bummed to miss part of the show but I still managed to catch one of the best shows ever.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Very cool!
    Congrats!

I too was at one of the shows at MSG. I was late because as I sat on the subway I suddenly realized I had forgotten my ticket at home! That was a terrible experience to have to rush back home and then start back. When I got off the Subway under MSG I could actually hear the bass from the concert. I was bummed to miss part of the show but I still managed to catch one of the best shows ever.
    Hate that feeling! Happened to me when walking from my hotel in Philly to a Fish concert, and at NEARfest after walking from the hotel over the river all the way to like two blocks from the theater. Christ!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hate that feeling! Happened to me when walking from my hotel in Philly to a Fish concert, and at NEARfest after walking from the hotel over the river all the way to like two blocks from the theater. Christ!!
    It really is an ugly feeling, isn't it?
    I couldn't blame anyone but myself.

When I got off the Subway under MSG I could actually hear the bass from the concert.
    ELP were so goddam loud in the 70s you didn't need a ticket to hear them!

And congrats to rminsk--remarkable artwork!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And congrats to rminsk--remarkable artwork!
    It is Jerry LoFaro's artwork. I'm sorry if it was interpreted as mine. I have changed the original post to reflect that it is Jerry's.

That artwork is sweeet!

The artwork is great. Anyone have a track list to go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The artwork is great. Anyone have a track list to go with it?
    This is a list from the the show. The show went 3+ hours so I do not know if everything will be on the DVD.
    • Prelude to a Hope
    • Karn Evil # 9
    • The Barbarian
    • Touch and Go
    • The Endless Enigma
    • Take a Pebble
    • A Place to Hide
    • Tank
    • Fanfare/Blue Rondo
    • Aaron Emerson original piece
    • From the Beginning
    • Bitches Crystal
    • Nutrocker
    • Tarkus
    • Fanfare for the Common Man
    • Lucky Man/Great Gates of Kiev
    • Are you Ready Eddie
    • Commotion (from Marc Bonilla's EE Ticket)

Whoa. That artwork is fantastic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This one is on Jerry's site too:
    KEsneak copy.jpg

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not sure we needed a butt shot of the scorplion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Not sure we needed a butt shot of the scorplion.
    That would be a butt shot of Manticore.

Not only I was at the Official Keith Emerson Tribute at El Rey Theater in Los Angeles last year but I also was at the second night of ELP's three night stand at MSG in NYC!
    Yeah I know it is not polite to brag but I have those bragging rights well earned, it took a whole lotta sacrifices back then and now but it sure was worth both efforts.
    I'm excited to be part of a devoted audience for the first time on a DVD although it was for a sad occasion but we were there to celebrate EMO's life that evening with everyone who loved and admired him.

This is the ELP @ MSG set-list link for the July 8, 1977 show with Orchestra:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/emerso...-33dcc8ad.html

BTW: I had seen Pink Floyd Animals Tour '77 final date two nights before at Montreal Olympic stadium, that tour was named "In the Flesh"

Congrats to Jerry LoFaro for his amazing artwork, well done and truly in a rightful place of ELP history!
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Not only I was at the Official Keith Emerson Tribute at El Rey Theater in Los Angeles last year but I also was at the second night of ELP's three night stand at MSG in NYC!
    Yeah I know it is not polite to brag but I have those bragging rights well earned, it took a whole lotta sacrifices back then and now but it sure was worth both efforts.
    I'm excited to be part of a devoted audience for the first time on a DVD although it was for a sad occasion but we were there to celebrate EMO's life that evening with everyone who loved and admired him.

This is the ELP @ MSG set-list link for the July 8, 1977 show with Orchestra:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/emerso...-33dcc8ad.html

BTW: I had seen Pink Floyd Animals Tour '77 final date two nights before at Montreal Olympic stadium, that tour was named "In the Flesh"

Congrats to Jerry LoFaro for his amazing artwork, well done and truly in a rightful place of ELP history!
    That is pretty cool to have been at both.

Do you remember the performance of "C'est La Vie" at the MSG show? I have mentioned it on other threads before but that was one of several songs that made me slack-jawed at the pure sonic bliss displayed that night. The quality of Lake's voice going through that insanely good sound system amazed me. The definition, the intensity, and the lack of any distortion in the bass frequencies knocked me for a loop. I don't think I have ever heard a better voice/PA combo in all of the shows I have seen. And when Emerson strolled out from stage right with his accordion? Sublime! His melancholy solo was perfection.

And of course, the power and sheer physical/sonic impact of the orchestra was so very special. Hearing his Piano Concerto was the big highlight for me. A concert for the ages it was.
    (I saw the stripped down tour without the orchestra a few months later in Tempe, AZ and while it was a fine show it had nothing on the MSG performances.)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Looks great.
    Wife and I were at one of the MSG shows in 8/77. Forty years gone where?

That is pretty cool to have been at both.

Do you remember the performance of "C'est La Vie" at the MSG show? I have mentioned it on other threads before but that was one of several songs that made me slack-jawed at the pure sonic bliss displayed that night. The quality of Lake's voice going through that insanely good sound system amazed me. The definition, the intensity, and the lack of any distortion in the bass frequencies knocked me for a loop. I don't think I have ever heard a better voice/PA combo in all of the shows I have seen. And when Emerson strolled out from stage right with his accordion? Sublime! His melancholy solo was perfection.

And of course, the power and sheer physical/sonic impact of the orchestra was so very special. Hearing his Piano Concerto was the big highlight for me. A concert for the ages it was.
    (I saw the stripped down tour without the orchestra a few months later in Tempe, AZ and while it was a fine show it had nothing on the MSG performances.)
    Indeed those MSG performances were a treat and a highlight of my concert lifetime. I can only remember that the string section of the Orchestra added a beautiful acoustic texture to "C'est la vie" and I agree, Greg's bass was very solid, crisp and pure throughout the show. Especially during "Pirates" under the skull & swords ELP black banner hanging from above the stage. I was so close on the orchestra level that I could see the young orchestra members leaning down and staring in awe at Keith Emerson during his spectacular solo during "Fanfare for the Common man" and admire to who they were playing for! I have seen not too many shows at MSG but this one stands out as the most perfectly sounding system ever, considering the cavernous bad acoustics but that night was amazing. Carl's Bronze coated drum kit was also something to behold, the poor quality videos can never equal being there and seeing this massive drum kit (Carl says Ringo bought it) that even rotated to display the massive Chinese Gong! I only took a few slides, I'll try to dig them out from where I think I left them at my Mom's home where I will visit later this month :-)
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Indeed those MSG performances were a treat and a highlight of my concert lifetime. I can only remember that the string section of the Orchestra added a beautiful acoustic texture to "C'est la vie" and I agree, Greg's bass was very solid, crisp and pure throughout the show. Especially during "Pirates" under the skull & swords ELP black banner hanging from above the stage. I was so close on the orchestra level that I could see the young orchestra members leaning down and staring in awe at Keith Emerson during his spectacular solo during "Fanfare for the Common man" and admire to who they were playing for! I have seen not too many shows at MSG but this one stands out as the most perfectly sounding system ever, considering the cavernous bad acoustics but that night was amazing. Carl's Bronze coated drum kit was also something to behold, the poor quality videos can never equal being there and seeing this massive drum kit (Carl says Ringo bought it) that even rotated to display the massive Chinese Gong! I only took a few slides, I'll try to dig them out from where I think I left them at my Mom's home where I will visit later this month :-)
    Great to read your remembrances. I too took some slides but I haven't looked at them in some time. (That was the only time I ever felt nervous about having my camera and lenses with me. After the show ended I made my way to one of the many small sets of stairs and there were almost no people in it except one chap that had been sitting close to me. I felt that he was following me a bit too closely but once I got to the main floor I blended into the crowd and lost the guy.)

I saw them after they ditched the orchestra in Springfield MA. I agree with the above that Lake's bass sound was incredible as was the overall sound in the horrid arena. Supertramp also sounded great there.
    I bought a cool ELP T shirt after the show for $5 while walking to the car. It was white with a colored painting of a pirate ship near a beach. Unfortunately, I wore it so much that it didn't last long...

Speaking of t-shirts, I would absolutely love one with that Tarkus vs. Manticore art!
    I am very much looking forward to watching this when it is finally released. I can't wait to hear Rachel Flowers playing Fugue on my home theater.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I saw them after they ditched the orchestra in Springfield MA. I agree with the above that Lake's bass sound was incredible as was the overall sound in the horrid arena. Supertramp also sounded great there.
    I bought a cool ELP T shirt after the show for $5 while walking to the car. It was white with a colored painting of a pirate ship near a beach. Unfortunately, I wore it so much that it didn't last long...
    Wow, what a coincidence reading through this thread, my memories keep coming back from that time. That summer of 1977 I saw Led Zeppelin (for the one and only time at MSG), Supertramp (2 nights in Montreal) Pink Floyd (the largest single performer attendance I have been at - 80,000 at Olympic stadium) and of course, ELP at MSG to crown off my summer of '77. T-shirts were not a very big item at the time but I did buy a "mint" color Pink Floyd T-shirt with the Animals logo and the famous Swan Song logo Led Zeppelin US Tour 1977 shirt that now is even sold at Target stores as a throwback item.

About the slides I took, I only took pics at Pink Floyd and ELP. I did not feel I was doing anything wrong or not permitted. There was no internet so where would I post or sell pictures? Those were mainly for my own keeping, but now with EBay, YouTube and so many copyright paranoia going on it is a different world - every concert goer has a camera on their phone. Back in the day, I would enter just showing my ticket and nobody would ever ask me about my camera, no big deal. Much less go through bag check, the world sure has changed but I love those memories.

Wow, what a coincidence reading through this thread, my memories keep coming back from that time. That summer of 1977 I saw Led Zeppelin (for the one and only time at MSG), Supertramp (2 nights in Montreal) Pink Floyd (the largest single performer attendance I have been at - 80,000 at Olympic stadium) and of course, ELP at MSG to crown off my summer of '77. T-shirts were not a very big item at the time but I did buy a "mint" color Pink Floyd T-shirt with the Animals logo and the famous Swan Song logo Led Zeppelin US Tour 1977 shirt that now is even sold at Target stores as a throwback item.

About the slides I took, I only took pics at Pink Floyd and ELP. I did not feel I was doing anything wrong or not permitted. There was no internet so where would I post or sell pictures? Those were mainly for my own keeping, but now with EBay, YouTube and so many copyright paranoia going on it is a different world - every concert goer has a camera on their phone. Back in the day, I would enter just showing my ticket and nobody would ever ask me about my camera, no big deal. Much less go through bag check, the world sure has changed but I love those memories.
    1977 was a heck of a year for concerts in New York. There were so many excellent (and big) acts touring. I would add the Genesis "Wind and Wuthering" tour to your list. It was an amazing show (MSG). There were so many shows that after buying my tickets for the summer I realized that i had two shows scheduled for the same day (so I had to pass on seeing Buddy Rich in Westchester).

But I'd disagree with you; concert Tee shirts were huge back in the mid to late 70's. They had steadily been better and better sellers and everyone I knew bought at least one or two at every show (because they were usually only $5-7). The "retro" "re-released" tee shirts started to appear around 1977 or 1978. (I was thrilled to buy a "Lamb" tee at the "And then there were Three" tour in 1978.) One could then find shirts from older tours whereas before that, one would generally only find tee shirts with artwork from the current album.

It was not a problem to get cameras into shows in the NY area. No NY shows that I went to in the 70's and early to mid 80's cared about cameras. I always carried a large rig with multiple lenses to every show. However, things were different in different states...at the exact same time cameras were strictly forbidden at almost every venue in Arizona (where I went to college). And relatively large amounts of ads appeared in the back of the music mags for people selling their photos to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
    Jerry LoFaro has posted his artwork for the upcoming "The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert" DVD/Blu-ray

LoFaro2.jpg
    LoFaro1.jpg
    Really nice pictures. Is there a way to get these pictures in hi-resolution?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Really nice pictures. Is there a way to get these pictures in hi-resolution?
    Thanks.

Nice!