Thread: How Blockchain technology can change the music industry

How Blockchain technology can change the music industry

A glimpse of the not-so-distant future perhaps? Smart contracts and micro-transactions with cryptocurrency may be the next revolution in how we obtain and trade digital media.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/08/ho...usic-industry/

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I can't get to the second article, but the first one is interesting. I think the #1 thing any solution has to address is piracy. I'm skeptical this, or any, technology would be able do that. If people are determined to hack the code or find a workaround to get a digital copy of something, they will. I'm not sure if the carrot approach mentioned will really do much to stop that, though it is an interesting idea.

I do see some applications for this with streaming, which artists hate because they aren't compensated fairly. So something like this is certainly worth a look, but as the article says, I'm not sure it's a silver bullet.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    <<This can solve the historic problem of digital content being downloaded, copied and modified at the leisure of users. >>

Just in time for the revival of analog music-listening formats! I can handle a generation of diminished sound quality if I'm rediscovering listening to cassettes.

The blockchain is the key to dismantling the entirety of society as we know it.
    The Prog Corner

And all it requires is 100% buy in ( and a 10% commission on all transactions ).
    Wake me when it scales up to be more than a curiosity. And is a stable currency ( what are by bits worth today? )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain