Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peter Hammill - Sitting Targets

Peter Hammill - Sitting Targets

I've never claimed to be the biggest Hammill or VDGG fan only having Godbluff and H to HE in my collection. But for some reason the title track really resonates with me. Maybe it's the cover too. Or the year it was released. lol..
    How do Hammill fans rate this??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I like it.
    I view it as the last in the line of a string of pretty great solo albums post VDGG/VDG before he veered off into a different direction with 'K'.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It contains "stranger still", which is one of his greatest songs (imo).

Great album! In general a, slightly more accesible album then what came before. Especially side 2 is very strong. Indeed, stranger still is one of his best songs.

One of his best. Brilliant songs.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I love all of ST. It may well have been the first thing I ever owned by Hammill, having picked it up as a $2.99 cutout cassette sometime in the 80s. I thought it was a good "new wave" style album and was surprised that I couldn't get any of my Talking Heads/Ultravox/Bauhaus/Cult loving friends into it. Seemed very relevant and accessible to anyone who liked that kind of music.

One of the last albums I bought on vinyl it remains a favourite. There are a couple of real Hammill classics here - Ophelia, Sign, Sitting Targets, Central Hotel - hell its just a great album from start to finish. I remember thinking it was more guitar-focused even 'rockier' than his previous work up to then. Definitely recommended - although in my book that is an easy call for Peter Hammill releases.

A very good album with much more of a sense of band than the previous two albums. It sets a clear direction for the K Group that followed. Both studio albums from that band and both live albums are well worth getting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

IMHO one of his best albums. 'Stranger Still' is probably the best known track but I don't think there's a weak link. Things like 'Breakthrough' and 'Central Hotel' see him taking on contemporary rock with aplomb. Definitely set the tone for his subsequent direction with The K Group.

'Glue' is an overlooked masterwork- a very unsettling composition and the ending is spectacular. 'Ophelia' is one of his finest ballads, too.

One of my favorite PH albums. Also, the first album in his catalog that I recommend to "new ears."
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I love this album! Definitely one of my PHavourites.
    A great collection of songs with a great production, an album that helped me get rid of my prejudice against eighties production values

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    A very good album with much more of a sense of band than the previous two albums. It sets a clear direction for the K Group that followed. Both studio albums from that band and both live albums are well worth getting.
    Yes Sitting Target kind of set direction for K Group but I think it is much better than those albums that followed it.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yes Sitting Target kind of set direction for K Group but I think it is much better than those albums that followed it.
    I agree; not a fan of the K group.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

^ I'm only familiar with the K Group's 2nd album, which certainly is more "user friendly" than PH's preceding solo work. I kinda like it ("film noir" and the title track in particular), but it does sound rather sleek/slick...

Love it (but I am admitted PH/VDGG fanboy). Just picked up the Rockpalast CD/DVD set of the K Group (but before Enter K and Patience) that has several tracks from Sitting Targets,at ROSFest. Well worth seeking out.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    ^ I'm only familiar with the K Group's 2nd album, which certainly is more "user friendly" than PH's preceding solo work. I kinda like it ("film noir" and the title track in particular), but it does sound rather sleek/slick...
    Slickness has never been a disqualifier for me.

Those two K Group albums sit very well for me. The Evans/Potter rhythm section was a potent one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Brilliant album!

The Future Now
    Black Box
    PH7
    Sitting Targets
    Those post VDG Mark II solos - the sound changed became more compact more edgy not losing that experimental touch what an amazing streak

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    The Future Now
    Black Box
    PH7
    Sitting Targets
    Those post VDG Mark II solos - the sound changed became more compact more edgy not losing that experimental touch what an amazing streak
    I was wondering if people thought The Future Now was one of his best works. I do. Ph7, In a Foreign Town, As Close As This also favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I was wondering if people thought The Future Now was one of his best works. I do. Ph7, In a Foreign Town, As Close As This also favorites.
    The Future Now is a weird one. While most of the individual tracks are good, it doesn’t quite work as an “album experience” for me. IMO, pH7 flows much better. (Still, the one-man chorale "Mediaevil" is a remarkable achievement, not just for its time.)
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Slickness has never been a disqualifier for me. Those two K Group albums sit very well for me. The Evans/Potter rhythm section was a potent one.
    Agreed.

BTW: Many great 80s pop records are arguably “slick” (Avalon, New Gold Dream, Primitive Man, It’s My Life et al), so it wasn’t meant as a putdown or a disqualifier.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

The Future Now
    Black Box
    PH7
    Sitting Targets
    I even prefer these to the 70s PH solo output.
    As much as I love those 70s proggy albums, I find myself getting back to the above-mentioned albums much more.
    I also like the resurgence of the noughties albums which I find very good to excellent.

The Future Now
    Black Box
    PH7
    Sitting Targets
    I agree completely. You said what I was trying to say, but much better. Thanks!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I think it's a great album and I saw him on that tour and he did a lot of the material live and it was also great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Those two K Group albums sit very well for me. The Evans/Potter rhythm section was a potent one.
    Agreed 100%. I love both of those albums and the live output from this period.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***