Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gregg Allman - RIP

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    He must have been around 54-55 when this came out. He already sounded like he had one foot in the grave 15ish yrs ago. Beautifully sad song, had to play this one the other night. RIP
    My favourite song on Hittin' the Note (a brilliant come back album) - so poignant. Great album cover too.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Has a cover of the AB "Not my Cross to Bear", one of my all time favorite songs. Greg modernized it a little but stayed true to the classic that so many people in the 80s had never heard. He reintroduced this legend of a song to a new generation.
    That's the only song I posted on FB after his passing. So much passion and pain in that incredible vocal.

"I ... have not come .... to testify .... "

Chills every time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Has a cover of the AB "Not my Cross to Bear", .
    Besides the title track this was the only other memorable track. I just don't remember liking that album otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    On a couple other forums I've seen people post "now playing: Jessica". OK, in a thread devoted to Gregg's memory why the hell would you bring up a Dickie Betts instrumental? I've got no problems with that song but sheesh, at least get something with Gregg Allman's voice on it!

Nice to know I'm not the only person aroun dhere who knows Shades Of Two Worlds exists. I was lucky to find a promo copy in the used bins at Wax Stax right when it firs tcame out, and it's been a firm favorite of mine ever since.

That string of albums they did for Epic records in the 90's, starting with Seven Turns running up through An Evening With The Allman Brothers Band: Second Set are all fantastic. Talk about a comeback!

On the Shades Of Two World tour, they filmed a show at Great Woods, a shed in Massachusetts (I gather it's been renamed after some corporate outfit, I forget which one) for Japanese TV. But they ended up releasing it VHS as Live At Great Woods. Finally a couple years ago, they put out a proper DVD version (after it only being available on DVD for years in a severely edited form, I think probably the Japanese TV show that the concert was originally filmed for.

I wish I could lay hands on recordings of some of the shows the band did that I saw. I think the last time I saw them, they were doing those Instant Live things, where you could buy the CD immediately after the concert. But the other shows I saw, were before that era, and they for some reason had a no downloading rule (ie sites like Dimeadozen weren't allowed to have any Allmans shows up), which I never understood, since they did allow audience taping. I've got a couple of my shows from the 90's on cassette, but like I said, I'd like to have them on CD (or failing that, some form of digital format).

Wow what bad news...I have to thank 88.5 FM WXPN for playing a nice marathon of classic Allmans and solo material the day we found out he passed to help ease the pain...

My first time seeing the Allman's was a free show put on by a local radio station called a celebration of the first BE-In at the park or something.

It was the end of summer 1985 or 86 and there was about 5000 to 10000 people spread out in Fairmount park in Philadelphia on a hot sunny afternoon...Lots of motorcycles everywhere I looked..

The first act to come out was Greg Allman and his solo band who played some amazing stuff and stayed on for about an hour and a half.

If that was the only thing I witnessed that day that would have been good enough for me but then after a short break the Dickey Betts band came on and his band played some great songs( featuring a little bit more guitar than Greg's Set that day if I remember) which also blew me away l!!!!

And then to top the day off after a short break members of each band came together and played A set of Allman Bros Music which forever converted me that day and made me a lifelong fan....

So lucky to live during these times to have witnessed some of the greatest music ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Nice to know I'm not the only person aroun dhere who knows Shades Of Two Worlds exists. I was lucky to find a promo copy in the used bins at Wax Stax right when it firs tcame out, and it's been a firm favorite of mine ever since.

That string of albums they did for Epic records in the 90's, starting with Seven Turns running up through An Evening With The Allman Brothers Band: Second Set are all fantastic. Talk about a comeback! t).
    Totally agree. All of those albums are strong ones.

That string of albums they did for Epic records in the 90's, starting with Seven Turns running up through An Evening With The Allman Brothers Band: Second Set are all fantastic. Talk about a comeback!

On the Shades Of Two World tour, they filmed a show at Great Woods, a shed in Massachusetts (I gather it's been renamed after some corporate outfit, I forget which one) for Japanese TV. But they ended up releasing it VHS as Live At Great Woods. Finally a couple years ago, they put out a proper DVD version (after it only being available on DVD for years in a severely edited form, I think probably the Japanese TV show that the concert was originally filmed for.

I wish I could lay hands on recordings of some of the shows the band did that I saw. I think the last time I saw them, they were doing those Instant Live things, where you could buy the CD immediately after the concert. But the other shows I saw, were before that era, and they for some reason had a no downloading rule (ie sites like Dimeadozen weren't allowed to have any Allmans shows up), which I never understood, since they did allow audience taping. I've got a couple of my shows from the 90's on cassette, but like I said, I'd like to have them on CD (or failing that, some form of digital format).
    Shades of Two Worlds is a stand out album of later ABB. Every cut is excellent. Devon Allman mentioned today there will be releases of Gregg shows and some ABB concerts as well, one of which should have a show with Jack Pearson on it, when he toured with the band. Monster guitarist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Shades of Two Worlds is a stand out album of later ABB. Every cut is excellent. Devon Allman mentioned today there will be releases of Gregg shows and some ABB concerts as well, one of which should have a show with Jack Pearson on it, when he toured with the band. Monster guitarist!
    I saw them four times when Jack was in the band, and they were all fantastic shows. It was kind of a weird era, because Jack played a G&L Strat style guitar, and at the time, Dickey had switched to playing a Strat, as well. They both had those single coil sized humbuckers in their guitars, so they still got the chunky humbucker sound, but the Allmans was one of those bands that one always associated with the Les Paul guitar (though Dickey, Duane, and Warren had all at various times played guitars that most definitely weren't Les Pauls), so seeing them "go over to the other side" was kinda odd to me, but I was happy, as I always liked Strats better than Les Pauls myself.

Anyway, I remember that was the era when they played two nights in a row here in Cleveland, each year, in 1997 and 1998. And for each pair of shows, they probably did about 50 percent different songs each night. And in fact, that first night in 97, was the first time I had ever heard them do High Falls. I didn't even own the Win Lose Or Draw album, because I had always heard it was one of the weaker albums (and indeed, on the Dreams set, they used only one song, one of the vocal things), so I didn't even know there was this instrumental from that era that I had never heard. I rectified that in my collection very quickly.

Another thing I remember about those shows was Oteil dropping in a bit of Little Martha into his bass solos, which I thought was really cool.

Speaking of Oteil, how many of you guys knew that when he was a kid, he was in the Peter Sellers movie Being There? You know at the beginning of the picture, where Peter's character first walks out of the building and is seeing the "outside world" for apparently the very first time, and he walks down the street and encounters the street gang? Well, Oteil was one of the gang members, he even gets acknowledged as such in the closing credits. That's how I found out, when I saw the movie about 10 or so years ago, and I thought, "Wait a minute!" rewound the DVR, and watched the beginning again, and sure enough, there he was!

Back to Allmans: one of the peculiar things about the Allmans is they always seemed to bring inclimate weather with them to Cleveland. They always played outdoor venues here, and I think the majority of the shows I saw, we got a least a light drizzle, and sometimes it absolutely pissed down on us before, during, and/or after the show. The last time I saw them, we got a full blown thunderstorm, complete with lightning off in the distance. And yes, I do believe under such conditions, they did include Stormy Monday in the setlist.

Thankfully, the two times I saw them in Chicago, they were playing at an indoor theater, and the weather remained perfect for my visit.

Oh, and another cool thing about Jack was, when they did Blue Sky, he did a conventional fret-style solo, instead of going slide, as Duane had on the original record and Warren did when he was in the band during the first half of the 90's. I remember thinking it was cool that Jack was willing to mix it up like that.

Oh, and another cool thing about Jack was, when they did Blue Sky, he did a conventional fret-style solo, instead of going slide, as Duane had on the original record and Warren did when he was in the band during the first half of the 90's. I remember thinking it was cool that Jack was willing to mix it up like that.
    Duane did not play slide on Blue Sky.
    The Duane guy in my ABB tribute band plays a white strat and has a number of pedals. He is a fusion/Duane guitarist. Our old keyboard player used to complain about his fusion influenced playing. I love it. People watch him play in disbelief.
    Apparently Gregg will be buried near Duane at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, as it should be. I still haven't processed his death.

Duane did not play slide on Blue Sky.
    OK, so it was just Warren who always played slide on Blue Sky. It's been a long long time since I listened to the studio version. My point was, I liked that Jack didn't feel compelled to do what his predecessor had done with the song.

Another thing I liked about the Allmans is they didn't always play "the hits'. I remember the second time I saw them, in 96, at the end of the show, the houselights came on, and they hadn't played Whipping Post, Jessica, or Ramblin' Man. That was mindboggling to me, having seen so many who insist that "there's certain songs we have to play". Very refreshing, I thought that was.

I still haven't processed his death.

I totally agree.

Vaylor Trucks weighs in on Gregg's genius-

http://vaylor.info/post/161351705870...lr-feed%3Apost

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    He must have been around 54-55 when this came out. He already sounded like he had one foot in the grave 15ish yrs ago.
    He was only 23 when I first heard the ABB in 1970, yet he seemed older and more mature. The voice, the demeanor, the songs, all made him seem like an older gentleman with more life experience. Yet to see him later in life, he didn't look like he'd aged much since the 70's. RIP.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

A Tribute from the Country Music Awards, featuring Derek Trucks on slide guitar. Not sure of the singers, other than Darius Rucker (pretty obvious) and probably Jason Aldean (since it appears to be his band).

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    A Tribute from the Country Music Awards, featuring Derek Trucks on slide guitar. Not sure of the singers, other than Darius Rucker (pretty obvious) and probably Jason Aldean (since it appears to be his band).

Derek played Duane's 57 gold top through his Marshall. Very sweet!

There is so much live music to explore beyond Live at the Fillmore East. One Way Out - Live at the Beacon Theater has been in heavy rotation at chez mozo. I really like the 90s Allmans a lot with fine releases like Seven Turns and Shade of Two Words but nothing compares (for me) to Hittin' the Note. HtN is fully represented in this live release and it sounds great live. I'm amazed how the band found the quintessential Allmans sound so late this their careers. I had tickets to see the Allmans at the Beacon about 10 years ago but Gregg was ill and it was cancelled.

I'm still so sad that we lost Gregg. Long live the Allmans.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    There is so much live music to explore beyond Live at the Fillmore East. One Way Out - Live at the Beacon Theater has been in heavy rotation at chez mozo. I really like the 90s Allmans a lot with fine releases like Seven Turns and Shade of Two Words but nothing compares (for me) to Hittin' the Note. HtN is fully represented in this live release and it sounds great live. I'm amazed how the band found the quintessential Allmans sound so late this their careers. I had tickets to see the Allmans at the Beacon about 10 years ago but Gregg was ill and it was cancelled.

I'm still so sad that we lost Gregg. Long live the Allmans.
    Sorry to hear you missed them at the Beacon that time.

Luckily for me, living within 35 miles of the Beacon has resulted in 4 or 5 awesome shows over the years, including one of the shows on that 2003 tour that One Way Out comes from. Those shows were also filmed for the DVD Live at the Beacon , which I have never even seen btw. (have to fix that soon for sure, I remember they sent a camera crew into the audience and filmed our group, always wondered if I made the final cut? )

The smoking combo of Haynes and Derek Trucks is what brought the band back after the later Betts debacles IMO....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Sorry to hear you missed them at the Beacon that time.

Luckily for me, living within 35 miles of the Beacon has resulted in 4 or 5 awesome shows over the years, including one of the shows on that 2003 tour that One Way Out comes from. Those shows were also filmed for the DVD Live at the Beacon , which I have never even seen btw. (have to fix that soon for sure, I remember they sent a camera crew into the audience and filmed our group, always wondered if I made the final cut? )

The smoking combo of Haynes and Derek Trucks is what brought the band back after the later Betts debacles IMO....
    Yeah, a bummer I missed the Beacon show. I heard this was a favourite place for the band and audience so I can just imagine what great experiences you had. I saw the Allmans in upstate NY and in Boston and those shows will always be imbedded in my memory. I also agree that Hayne and Trucks were central to the Allmans revival.