Thread: Full album is streaming: Bubblemath - Edit Peptide

Full album is streaming: Bubblemath - Edit Peptide

Hi everyone,

You can listen to the entire Bubblemath album Edit Peptide for free today, if you wanna. All eight tracks. Over an hour of music:

http://www.popmatters.com/post/bubbl...ream-premiere/

--Kai
    Bubblemath

Oops! I should have known Steve F. would have beaten me to this post. My bad.

Feel free to ignore this one. Go check out Steve's!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Esbensen View Post
    Oops! I should have known Steve F. would have beaten me to this post. My bad.

Feel free to ignore this one. Go check out Steve's!
    Kai, if i don't beat you to the punch, I'm not doing the job you entrusted me to do.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Just listened to the whole thing. In one sitting. Small doses may be a better idea... I'm not surprised this took you guys 15 years!

This will def. be on my next Wayside order.

That opening 12-minute track is a monster and a half. Yowza. Intentional or not, I get some Keneally vibe in there. Great job on that track alone! There is a groove at 8:17 that is so killer.

Old man of prog
    Just listened to the first half. Deep

I luv it. Even more than Particles!

But please - no 25 years before the next one. Either I'm dead and in the ground, or they'll not allow the damn thing played at the retirement home.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But please - no 25 years before the next one.
    17 years. Like cicadas.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Yes.

Every 17 years, Kai & Co. climb up in the trees and chant, "heyyYYYYYYY, BABY! heyyYYYYYYY, BABY! heyyYYYYYYY, BABY!" nonstop for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Yes.

Every 17 years, Kai & Co. climb up in the trees and chant, "heyyYYYYYYY, BABY! heyyYYYYYYY, BABY! heyyYYYYYYY, BABY!" nonstop for weeks.
    That's so beautifully stated....I wish all my releases did that.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Intentional or not, I get some Keneally vibe in there.
    I've gotten the impression that most similarities you hear in them are unintentional: That they come up with much of what they do from first principles - from working on their own music, doing what sounds interesting and right, and going through that sort of process for years until they've evolved an identifiable musical voice of their own. And that what imitations they do get reshaped and restated in their own musical language, to the point where they're only vaguely identifiable. Rather than seeming to go, as some do, "We love this part of this song by that band, and here's our version of it."

Still working my way through it (if you call listening to nothing else for the past week 'working through'), and man, it is great! I could see it having a broader appeal than Fine Particles, especially if you found the lyrics in the first in any way objectionable. All the playing is first rate, but I'm especially loving the vocals - this stuff is complicated.

Had my first spin last night. Wow. A lot to take in! So many ideas and riffs and craziness and moments of beauty, power and density all coming at you. I look forward to more and more spins. You can tell how much work went into this release.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I've gotten the impression that most similarities you hear in them are unintentional
    Well the little take of Twisted Sister's We're not gonna take it in Get a Lawn is definitely intentional!

Quote Originally Posted by eadric View Post
    I could see it having a broader appeal than Fine Particles, especially if you found the lyrics in the first in any way objectionable. All the playing is first rate [...] this stuff is complicated
    Listening through most of the album yet another time this previous weekend, it struck me as something of an achievement if their whole spectrum of composed sound is even reasonably possible to perform. This is densely challenging stuff of intensely shifting colour and timbre, often moving and turning at frightening pace and overall more akin to Fantomas etc. than much of what otherwise passes as "prog" nowadays. They could probably find appeal with more fringe-like audiences of the genre, though - such as those normally into Cheer-Accident, Thank You Scientist!, Mr. Bungle or the likes.

It's damn hard not to be impressed.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This is densely challenging stuff of intensely shifting colour and timbre, often moving and turning at frightening pace and overall more akin to Fantomas etc. than much of what otherwise passes as "prog" nowadays. They could probably find appeal with more fringe-like audiences of the genre, though - such as those normally into Cheer-Accident, Thank You Scientist!, Mr. Bungle or the likes.
    Absolutely, and yet ... I don't know, I can convince myself that Bubblemath is pop music, which is not something I'd suggest of Mr Bungle. Admittedly a sort of perverted pop music where instead of letting the drummer setting the rhythm, we'll have the entire band do it, occasionally all at the same time. It feels challenging but still accessible. It should sell a million records!

Also, that breakdown at the two-minute mark in Routine Maintenance ... it takes a certain swagger to even try something like that, let alone pull it off. And to do it that early into the song! Completely ridiculous. I can't help but imagine Bubblemath smirking at us while they do it, and who'd blame them.

Listening through most of the album yet another time this previous weekend, it struck me as something of an achievement if their whole spectrum of composed sound is even reasonably possible to perform. This is densely challenging stuff of intensely shifting colour and timbre, often moving and turning at frightening pace and overall more akin to Fantomas etc. than much of what otherwise passes as "prog" nowadays. They could probably find appeal with more fringe-like audiences of the genre, though - such as those normally into Cheer-Accident, Thank You Scientist!, Mr. Bungle or the likes.

It's damn hard not to be impressed.
    I've seen them play, twice. They can do it. Yes, music like that is hard, but so much of what you can play is a matter of what you're used to, and what you concentrate on. Possibly they've worked together for so long that even the most nightmarish rhythmic hiccups have become part of their personal musical vocabularies, and keeping something like that together isn't necessarily harder for them than playing fast, in unusual scales, or in odd meters.