Thread: Popmatters premiers a stream of Bubblemath "Edit Peptide"

Popmatters premiers a stream of Bubblemath "Edit Peptide"

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Aweome! However, I don't open my presents early! I shall wait until Friday!!

neil

Been meaning to check these guys out. I've heard they're similar to Cardiacs???
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Been meaning to check these guys out. I've heard they're similar to Cardiacs???
    1. Not really, I don't think.

2. What do you think?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It's funny: if asked how original Bubblemath were, I'd say "somewhat - they have their own sound, but remind me of a whole lot of other music". Yet at the same time, I can't think of anyone they sound all that much like. And yes, I can see the similarity to Cardiacs, but it might be a sort of meta-similarity: Like Tim & Co., they combine elaborated prog content with a New Wave penchant for fast tempos, density of notes, and compressed, quickly-changing song structures. However, the actual base ingredients are different - Bubblemath, for example, have more jazz influence and no discernible take from Ralph Vaughn Williams. They sound "American", whereas Cardiacs sound "British".

Yeah, I'd agree. I can imagine there's some crossover between fans of both, but not really any musical similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by eadric View Post
    Yeah, I'd agree. I can imagine there's some crossover between fans of both, but not really any musical similarity.
    But there is, I think, a similar aesthetic. Along with important differences: Cardiacs are 15-to-20 years older, would have grown up hearing prog as children, and were an actual part of the British New Wave movement - extreme outliers from it, like a much odder and much less successful XTC, but still a part. Whereas Bubblemath, from what I understand, heard most of their influences at some remove, formed to play the kind of music they liked because no one else was playing it, and are a "scene" of one band.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-24-2017 at 06:00 PM.