Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks: The Return TONITE

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Usually pretty important! Though it is David Lynch and of all his stuff I've loved...I still have no idea what any of it means So I guess I can just watch.
    After watching the first four, Klonky, I would highly recommend watching the first 2 seasons, or at least getting a recap off YouTube, as it is exactly as promised; a continuation. So not understanding Lynch (and I'm with you) for Lynch-sake withstanding, jumping in now would be an ULTRA head scratcher.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    (Showtime was airing two episodes a week on Sundays for the last few months - you can probably also get it on demand) .
    I checked the "On demand" option on our TV box, they've got season 2 up only, but starting with episode 10.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I checked the "On demand" option on our TV box, they've got season 2 up only, but starting with episode 10.
    that is about the spot it all went downhill. Even according to Lynch:

Its early episodes became appointment television before the Binge Age, but once its quintessential problem was solved — “Who killed Laura Palmer?” — the series got bogged down in a web of increasingly esoteric plotlines (deep space monitoring, for one). “It got very stupid and goofy in the second season; it got ridiculous,” Mr. Lynch said in a phone interview, explaining that he was not involved with the show after Laura’s killer was revealed in the second season. “I stopped watching that show because it got so bad.”

Lynch did come back at the end of season 2 and things started to get better. He directed the finale which is still the most surreal thing ever aired on American network TV

I binged the original series over 3 day weekend up here in Canada. I never saw it in the original airing.
    Totally engrossing and bizarre television.

DtB

QUESTION:

I'm through season 1 and the first 3 episodes of season 2. Am I better served watching "Fire Walk With Me" now (I know it's a prequel) and then pick up at S.2 ep.4, or watch the rest of season 2 and THEN "Fire etc.??

Twin Peaks hiatus for me until I read feedback here.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I would continue with the series then watch FWWM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I would continue with the series then watch FWWM.
    And the very person I was hoping would chime in is right on time! That was my gut feeling based on the timing of when they were shot, and I needed some corroboration based on the content of eps.4-20 of season 2. Needed (and now heeded).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I was a fan during the show's run. Season 1 was great, season 2 not so much--I always believed they really had no idea where to take the story and kind of made it up as they went along. I appreciated the quirkiness and the non-linear, existential story telling, but it seemed to devolve into self-gratifying nonsense--and not the interesting kind of nonsense.. I hope they get back to the core of what made the show enjoyable. I will, however, test drive it for a few episodes!

David Lynch originally did not want the series to be as long as it ended up. He was pressured by the network to extend it.

Most of season 2 was kind of done 'ad hoc', and was not part of the original story arc.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

it was not that the show was longer than intended, the network inteference came from pushing them to solve the Laura Palmer case. In the Lynch and Frost original concept, they were never going to close the murder, it was just a back door into Twin Peaks and the characters and weird shit going on around town. But the first season became a hit, largely on the back of "Who Kille Laura Palmer?" marketing and people were pissed that the murder was not solved. The network demanded that they reveal the killer shortly into the second season, and Lynch was pretty disheartened and went off to do Wild at Heart, only coming back at the end. lynch had always maintained that he thought they would get a 3rd season and the wild finale was not filmed as an end to the series, but was rather meant to give it new direction.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    And the very person I was hoping would chime in is right on time! That was my gut feeling based on the timing of when they were shot, and I needed some corroboration based on the content of eps.4-20 of season 2. Needed (and now heeded).
    I don't think FWWM in necessary viewing tho as far as the continuation goes.

I have watched all four currently available episodes. Great stuff! I especially loved the first ten minutes or so of the episode three.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

We watched the first two episodes last night. Very dark, very weird. A lot to like!

Some are listing this as Season 3. And IMO I agree. After all the series does pick up where it left 25 years later.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

So, is Peggy Lipton still on board?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just watched two-hour the pilot episode. Onto the first season tomorrow.

I forgot about the Log Lady.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm only 2 eps in, but i'm absolutely loving the shit out of this so far and to think i was preparing to be let down...

I've caught up and now only have last night's 3-4 left to watch.

Kyle M looks (almost but not quite) frozen in time and Madchen Amick has aged better than Sheryl Lee imho.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    QUESTION:

I'm through season 1 and the first 3 episodes of season 2. Am I better served watching "Fire Walk With Me" now (I know it's a prequel) and then pick up at S.2 ep.4, or watch the rest of season 2 and THEN "Fire etc.??

Twin Peaks hiatus for me until I read feedback here.
    Definitely the series and then the movie, which imo is only essential to Lynch freakos (like myself)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I watched the new episode but haven't watched Twin Peaks since its original run. Holy fucking bizarre. I'll keep going but holy fucking bizarre. Did I say bizarre?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-30-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Better than the original series, so far....based on the first three new episodes. Love it!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I like it better too especially episode 4. Funny as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Better than the original series, so far....based on the first three new episodes. Love it!
    I agree. Lynch made sure he would have full artistic control this time.

Even though it's weird, it makes more sense now imo. It captures the essence of the series, without irrelevant stuff going on.

I started thinking while watching Kyle M. as the possessed Dougie last night that he's an actor who, Dune notwithstanding, didn't get enough work for the last 20 years.

Has he been doing theater or just f*****g off?

Yes, this is total Lynch. Lost Highway, Mullholland Drive, and Inland Empire Lynch at full fucking tilt. Lots of tangents with seemingly no connection, but entirely captivating at the same time. Loving this, however, not unlike the crybaby instant gratification viewers whining for a swift answer to "who killed Laura Palmer" back in the day, I'm finding myself fucking jonesing to have Coop snap out of it already.

So, we finally meet Diane.