Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mix of The Beatles' "White Album" in the works

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's not like all those never-ending S. Wilson remixes, where there was nothing wrong with the original mixes in the first place.
    That's just as much a matter of personal opinion as suggesting the Beatles need remixing. Just sayin'......

Personally, I'm very happy with Beatles mono mixes, but have the super deluxe Sgt Peppers on order because of my usual pathological interest in process, and will keep the only albums I've kept in stereo: Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be and Magical Mystery Tour. I'd welcome new stereo mixes or anything up to, but excluding, the White Album, actually, because what I've read says that, while earlier stereo mixes tended to be done more quickly, almost as an afterthought because stereo had yet to become the standard. The White Album was, apparently, the first where they spent similar time on the stereo mix as they did the mono...and there are some significant differences. There are also some clear choice differences in the existing stereo Sgt Peppers when compared to the mono edition.

That said, if the White Album remix was couched in a larger deluxe edition that had lots of alternate takes, cutting room floor content, etc., I'd hang onto my existing mono & stereo mixes and add that to the collection as well....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I'm working on a remix of my teen years. With my modern expertise I think I can do them better.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I don't get rid of ANYTHING Beatles. Everything I have has a time and a place where I might feel like listening to it, even the two Capitol albums boxes. I don't get rid of anything Yes either.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    That's just as much a matter of personal opinion as suggesting the Beatles need remixing. Just sayin'......
    It's definitely glib on my part especially as many fans mainly want the 5.1, but I can think of few albums Wilson has done where I've felt that the stereo original is bad. Chicago II definitely (not heard his version), Aqualung possibly.

You yourself outline the issues with The Beatles stereo mixes. IMHO there are few such issues with, say, most of what's in the King Crimson, Yes or Jethro Tull catalogues. Stereo was the standard by then.

Aside from the fact that a remix isn't always necessairly needed, on the forthcoming Sgt Pepper Giles Martin went through all the pre-bounced down 4-tracks tapes, so he was able to assemble on the mixer a complete set of master recordings from each line feed a song is comprised of and then remix each song anew.
    In that case a remix was needed in order to use master tape recordings of each recorded track on each song.
    For the White Album, The Beatles upgraded from 4-track recording to 8-track. So, remixing would be needed only if bouncing down actually occurred. We'll see.

Also, Giles Martin recently denied his next project will be the White Album, and in any case he never spoke of a remix, so even if next year there will be a deluxe WA release, it may just include a remaster of the stereo album with added bonus material. Again, we'll see. Personally, i hope there will be a WA deluxe.

^^ There has to be. It would be criminal if they didn't do the same thing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It was all the drugs
    Yeah, they must've been baked when they recorded the white album.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It was all the drugs
    No it wasn't the drugs; part of the magic of The Beatles was their ability to keep up with the times. They continued to soak up influences from various artists throughout the decade (a good example of this is the White Album's "Helter Skelter" which was influenced by The Who).

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Aside from the fact that a remix isn't always necessairly needed, on the forthcoming Sgt Pepper Giles Martin went through all the pre-bounced down 4-tracks tapes, so he was able to assemble on the mixer a complete set of master recordings from each line feed a song is comprised of and then remix each song anew.
    In that case a remix was needed in order to use master tape recordings of each recorded track on each song.
    For the White Album, The Beatles upgraded from 4-track recording to 8-track. So, remixing would be needed only if bouncing down actually occurred. We'll see.

Also, Giles Martin recently denied his next project will be the White Album, and in any case he never spoke of a remix, so even if next year there will be a deluxe WA release, it may just include a remaster of the stereo album with added bonus material. Again, we'll see. Personally, i hope there will be a WA deluxe.
    If they don't do a 5.1 remix for the White Album, I'm passing on buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    They continued to soak up influences from various artists throughout the decade (a good example of this is the White Album's "Helter Skelter" which was influenced by The Who).
    It was influenced by a review of I Can See for Miles, in which the reviewer said that it was the heaviest thing he had ever heard. However, Paul McCartney hadn't actually heard the song by the time he wrote and recorded Helter Skelter. When he eventually did, he was allegedly quite surprised because it didn't sound that heavy to him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I don't get rid of ANYTHING Beatles. Everything I have has a time and a place where I might feel like listening to it, even the two Capitol albums boxes. I don't get rid of anything Yes either.
    You never know when you might need to hear the soundtrack to Caveman, or Yoso!

H'mmm. I quite liked what Giles and his father did on Love. I think I'll give this a chance.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You never know when you might need to hear the soundtrack to Caveman, or Yoso!
    I didn't say I actually buy everything, but the stuff I do buy never leaves....I still have my copies of Some Time In New York City and Heaven & Earth for example.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I didn't say I actually buy everything, but the stuff I do buy never leaves....I still have my copies of Some Time In New York City and Heaven & Earth for example.
    Yeah, I was just being silly. But Heaven & Earth is what you'd get rid of IF you were going to get rid of something by Yes I see.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    In case anyone is wondering, the 27-minute "Helter Skelter" is take 3 of version 1 and not on this set.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Having said that, I'd have gone back to Rubber Soul and Revolver before the 'white album'. The former has basically never had a proper true stereo mix at all...even the 1987 CD 'remix' basically only narrowed the two-track 'stereo' mix done in 1965. I believe most of The Beatles multi-track masters survive...there are exceptions like 'She Loves You' and of course the earliest recordings were recorded on more basic equipment with few tracks, so you can't do very much.
    +1
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

^Funnily enough I played the stereo Revolver again the other day and what I'd never noticed before is that the two sides of the single ('Eleanor Rigby'/'Yellow Submarine') have by far the worst stereo mixes. The rest isn't necessarily great ('Taxman' in particular is not well done) but for the most part, not terrible either.

Rubber Soul on the other hand has nothing really in the centre. The 80s remix narrowed it somewhat but didn't change anything, really.

I'm not touching this thing until I see a lot of positive reviews, and I have no problem passing it by if such reviews don't materialize. The Sgt. Pepper remix was a major disappointment IMHO and the alternative/backing tracks were uninteresting to me.

I'll probably get this at some point, but the price for the super deluxe 7-disc edition is US$160 at thebeatlesstore.com. Yipes! Hopefully, Amazon will have some discount, though their current price is even higher, $180.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I'll probably get this at some point, but the price for the super deluxe 7-disc edition is US$160 at thebeatlesstore.com. Yipes! Hopefully, Amazon will have some discount, though their current price is even higher, $180.
    Amazon had it for $128 this morning, then changed it a couple of hours later. They will honor the $128 to those who nabbed it when it was at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Amazon had it for $128 this morning, then changed it a couple of hours later. They will honor the $128 to those who nabbed it when it was at that price.
    I just ordered it from Amazon France at EUR104, including postage. They were cheaper than the other Amazons this time.

I have the Beatles MONO box set on vinyl and the original stereo versions of Sgt Pepper and the White Album on cd, so I'm good with the versions I have.
    I was tempted about a month or so to get the Remix Sgt Pepper on vinyl, but a lot of reviews stated it was great but more modern, and I don't want or need modern.
    The Mono set is wonderful.
    I also have a copy of Paul's First album and Ram on vinyl, in mono(re-issues).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I see no need for Giles to do a stereo remix like he did with "Pepper." This music does not need to be retooled for newer markets. It's actually quite silly. It reminds me of several years ago when my neighbor suggested I borrow her "Kids sing the Beatles" (or whatever it was called) tape. She knows I'm a die-hard fan and suggested it was a good way to introduce kids to The Beatles. I suggested that there's no need to introduce them to The Beatles with anything other than the original music.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I see no need for Giles to do a stereo remix like he did with "Pepper." This music does not need to be retooled for newer markets. [...] I suggested that there's no need to introduce them to The Beatles with anything other than the original music.

That's how my brother and I were introduced to the Beatles as kids, with the original music (on CD) and we both grew up loving them as a result.