Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mix of The Beatles' "White Album" in the works

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

That's how my brother and I were introduced to the Beatles as kids, with the original music (on CD) and we both grew up loving them as a result.
    It'd be terrible to introduce kids to the Beatles by giving them versions sung by loud, shrieky kids. Then the kids grow up thinking THAT is what the Beatles' music really is, and the originals don't "sound right."

It happened to me; my first exposure to the Beatles' music was -- urgh -- the Sgt. Pepper movie. Then there were the Beatles cartoons being repeated on television, which, though they featured the original music, were not the best context for it. Then there were things like Motley Crue's version of "Helter Skelter" (double urgh) and Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Dear Prudence" (which, to be honest, I actually quite like, though it's not as strong as the original). With all that, it took me a LONG time to warm up to the Beatles at all. Fortunately my mother moved in with a roommate who had all the original records and played them for me properly, and THAT was when I became a fan.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It'd be terrible to introduce kids to the Beatles by giving them versions sung by loud, shrieky kids. Then the kids grow up thinking THAT is what the Beatles' music really is, and the originals don't "sound right."

It happened to me; my first exposure to the Beatles' music was -- urgh -- the Sgt. Pepper movie. Then there were the Beatles cartoons being repeated on television, which, though they featured the original music, were not the best context for it. Then there were things like Motley Crue's version of "Helter Skelter" (double urgh) and Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Dear Prudence" (which, to be honest, I actually quite like, though it's not as strong as the original). With all that, it took me a LONG time to warm up to the Beatles at all. Fortunately my mother moved in with a roommate who had all the original records and played them for me properly, and THAT was when I became a fan.
    Could be worse, I suppose. It could have been the Chipmunks.

The first versions of many Beatles songs I ever heard (before I started buying the albums) were on Muzak, which my dad listened to.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

They should call this remix "The Brown Album" because its gonna sound like crap.

Just kidding, I actually liked the Pepper remix aside from a certain harshness in spots. I thought he did a good job and it enabled me to hear that album differently. I'm in for a spin for The Brown Album.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Just saw the Beatles Love show in Vegas. Boy was that a great sounding show. I bought the albums when they where originally released.
    The music has always been a part of my life.
    Enjoy any promotion to younger listeners.
    They younger music lovers need to hear what great music sounds like. [emoji3][emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    They should call this remix "The Brown Album" because its gonna sound like crap.

Just kidding, I actually liked the Pepper remix aside from a certain harshness in spots. I thought he did a good job and it enabled me to hear that album differently. I'm in for a spin for The Brown Album.
    I think he did a good job and accomplished his goal. I just don't agree with the need for it.

Maybe the Off-White Album.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Just kidding, I actually liked the Pepper remix aside from a certain harshness in spots. I thought he did a good job and it enabled me to hear that album differently.
    I feel pretty much the same way. It's interesting to listen to, but like you said there's some harshness at certain points and for me that was disappointing. It won't replace the original mix for me, but I'm not gonna get rid of it either.

It was the compression on these remixes which I found problematic. I liked the generally respectful approach, but not the volume.

The white album's original stereo is fairly good and, for me, better than the mono. The one thing I personally would change is putting the drums in the centre of the mix but based on the brief previews, that hasn't been done on things like 'Helter Skelter'.

The first Beatles' music I ever heard were on 45's, played on the crappiest record player you could imagine, and to this day I can remember being a very impressionable youth, panning the stereo balance of Paperback Rider/Rain to isolate the different instruments. What a profound impact that had on my life, the discovery of rock music.

Whatever it takes, as long as younger generations are discovering music... but hopefully it isn't a $100 box set
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 09-25-2018 at 08:27 AM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I feel pretty much the same way. It's interesting to listen to, but like you said there's some harshness at certain points and for me that was disappointing. It won't replace the original mix for me, but I'm not gonna get rid of it either.
    The mono is my default version. I just wish they would have fixed the one major error in it during the transition between "Good Morning Good Morning" and the reprise for the box. That was the real missed opportunity of that set.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The first Beatles' music I ever heard were on 45's, played on the crappiest record player you could imagine, and to this day I can remember being a very impressionable youth, panning the stereo balance of Paperback Rider/Rain to isolate the different instruments. What a profound impact that had on my life, the discovery of rock music.
    Stereo? On the single?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The first Beatles' music I ever heard were on 45's, played on the crappiest record player you could imagine.

There's a broader point here: the Beatles music was/is so good that the sound reproduction didn't matter. I bet I could provide you with stiff competition in the crappy kid's record player contest. Mine folded up like a little plastic suitcase. Only had one little speaker on the front.

At age 8 or 9 I bought a scratched up crap copy of Hard Day's Night for a quarter and played it to the death on that thing. I then borrowed all the Beatles albums the library had and taped them by putting my Realistic mono tape recorder in front of the turntable's crap speaker. I would tell my mom, please don't come in or make noise I'm taping!

And for all that total crap sound the Beatles music was for me the greatest thing ever. No amount of remixing and remastering and eq'ing and whatever will ever make it a more real or vital experience than it was.

Growing up In NYC.AM radio next to my bed.W-A-Beatle-C.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    There's a broader point here: the Beatles music was/is so good that the sound reproduction didn't matter. I bet I could provide you with stiff competition in the crappy kid's record player contest. Mine folded up like a little plastic suitcase. Only had one little speaker on the front.

At age 8 or 9 I bought a scratched up crap copy of Hard Day's Night for a quarter and played it to the death on that thing. I then borrowed all the Beatles albums the library had and taped them by putting my Realistic mono tape recorder in front of the turntable's crap speaker. I would tell my mom, please don't come in or make noise I'm taping!

And for all that total crap sound the Beatles music was for me the greatest thing ever. No amount of remixing and remastering and eq'ing and whatever will ever make it a more real or vital experience than it was.
    That story could be right out of my bio. The only differences are the trip to the library and that I recorded in front of the speaker of my dad's console stereo.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A lot of my earlier listening was done on something like this, but it was even uglier, and the speakers could be detached and moved apart so you got some separation. Looked like a BIG, beige, plastic suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That story could be right out of my bio. The only differences are the trip to the library and that I recorded in front of the speaker of my dad's console stereo.
    So you were an audiophile! Do you still have any of the tapes? Mine probably got thrown out back in high school, when I could actually afford the records. I would love to be able to hear those old tapes, though, just to see how they stacked up against the 2009 cd remasters. 40 years ago they sounded just fine...

I found an image of my record player. Mine didn't have the record changer but otherwise was identical to this. Way smaller than Jed's...

recordplayer.jpg

Those tapes are long-gone.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I found an image of my record player. Mine didn't have the record changer but otherwise was identical to this. Way smaller than Jed's...

recordplayer.jpg
    Cool! That's an Emerson, isn't it? My first record player was a green plastic Emerson! It did have a changer, but the weird thing is that I'm positive that mine had one speaker built into the lid and the other under the platter, so you could move them apart and have wide stereo. But none of the pictures I can find online have a speaker in the lid.

New Mix of The Beatles' "White Album" in the works

I certainly wasn’t an audiophile! I mentioned that close and play but something close to this is actually what I listened to Beatles on for the first few years (it didn’t have the built-in microphone):

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I certainly wasn’t an audiophile! I mentioned that close and play but something close to this is actually what I listened to Beatles on for the first few years (it didn’t have the built-in microphone):

This is how I started, too. My cousins made me a compilation tape with their favourite Beatles tunes, and I listened non-stop on a cassette recorder like this. Mine was made by BASF: :-)

Count me in too. I taped off the radio, the stereo, etc. on crappy systems. We didn't care that they were crappy, we just wanted to hear the music, and we wanted to take it with us where ever we went.

Does anyone remember those "mirror things" you'd put on top of a spinning record that animated all the cartoon, kiddy characters on our kiddy records? Not sure I'm describing it right, but it was this cone shaped or cylindrical thing with mirror segments all around it. You'd place it in top of a kiddy record with little cartoon characters of Goofy, Micky, Donald, etc. all chasing each other around the spinning disk. As a 4-5 year old in 1962-3 it was fascinating.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 09-26-2018 at 09:06 AM.

I love these comments where people are sharing their memories and photos from their youth.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Is it John or Paul playing the barrelhouse piano on Rocky Raccoon? It’s so cool and impressive that they knew how to play in that style. I don’t know anything about what kind of training they all had.

That song has been stuck in my head all day I love it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is it John or Paul playing the barrelhouse piano on Rocky Raccoon?
    Neither, it's George Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Neither, it's George Martin.
    You know, I was afraid that would be the answer.