Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: New Mix of The Beatles' "White Album" in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'd really like to hear the Esher demos but so far, I haven't heard anything else from this set that makes me want to buy it.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+esher+demos+
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Glass Onion remix sounds great

It seems that the three discs of outtakes could easily have fit on two.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Has anyone unboxed their set yet? I was on the fence of ordering the full package but after seeing this review the book does look really nice.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlL_Z4yq92k

I heard a few tunes yesterday.....sounds fuckin great to me and improved over Peppers

Hoping to sit down this afternoon for some serious listening. Opened it up last night though and yes the presentation is stunning. Lots of quality journalism too by the look of it.

Here's a nice long piece on the "accidental perfection" of the White Album

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...es-white-album
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have listened to the 5.1 mix twice and the demos and session takes once. Is it worth the price? For me, definitely. The 5.1 mix sounds fantastic. They haven't gone wild with panning effects or behind your head sounds. It just sounds bigger and you hear more details. Number 9 is an exception, where they use the surround to it's full effect. The book is very good too. There are very detailed infos on each track, plus several well written essays. The demos and session outtakes show how much work The Beatles put into their recordings to make it perfect. This is an album that, for me, is the high point of their career. It is more versatile than any other Beatles album, and there are just a couple of tracks that they could have thrown to the Piggies. But the music is good regardless of audio equipment or number of channels. Incidently, this was the first LP I ever bought (the first record was the Magical Mystery Tour EP). Then we only had a mono record player and a mono tape recorder with loudspeaker. So we only heard one channel. It was a revelation to hear it in stereo for the first time. Now, in 5.1, I get the same feeling.

From a strictly personal, one-sided perspective; I don't like it when things like this get remixed. Remastering is fine as that's essentially just a re-EQ'ing. But to remix and move the placement of many of the instrument levels, etc...I just don't like it. I want to hear things as they were intended to begin with.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have no idea why anyone would want to buy a remix of a 50 year old album unless Steve Wilson did it. Only then would it be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I have no idea why anyone would want to buy a remix of a 50 year old album unless Steve Wilson did it. Only then would it be necessary.
    Steven Wilson is no god. There are many who are just as capable.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Has anyone unboxed their set yet? I was on the fence of ordering the full package but after seeing this review the book does look really nice.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlL_Z4yq92k

I've unboxed mine! Very nice book along with the demos & the new 5.1 mix. The White Album sounds great in this new surround sound mix and the demos/sessions are enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    From a strictly personal, one-sided perspective; I don't like it when things like this get remixed. Remastering is fine as that's essentially just a re-EQ'ing. But to remix and move the placement of many of the instrument levels, etc...I just don't like it. I want to hear things as they were intended to begin with.
    Who knows what the Beatles intended to begin with? My guess is that they intended to have the best sound possible. But the equipment they were working on had limitations, most importantly, they had only 4 or 8 tracks to record on. So they had to mix down the first basic tracks to two tracks on another tape machine, then do the same again when that tape was filled up. Each generation get a lower sonic quality, and they can't remix the tracks that had been bounced down. The new mix goes back to the original first generation tapes, so no sonics are lost. The new mix doesn't add or subtract anything to the original mix. You just hear everything much clearer. If they have panned some instruments differently it is because they will come out better in the mix. With the 5.1 mix I get the feeling of being in the same room as them while they play, instead of hearing them come out from the stereo speakers. The original mix is of course fine as it is, so there is no need for the new mix unless you want to hear more details.

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    Who knows what the Beatles intended to begin with? My guess is that they intended to have the best sound possible. But the equipment they were working on had limitations, most importantly, they had only 4 or 8 tracks to record on. So they had to mix down the first basic tracks to two tracks on another tape machine, then do the same again when that tape was filled up. Each generation get a lower sonic quality, and they can't remix the tracks that had been bounced down. The new mix goes back to the original first generation tapes, so no sonics are lost. The new mix doesn't add or subtract anything to the original mix. You just hear everything much clearer. If they have panned some instruments differently it is because they will come out better in the mix. With the 5.1 mix I get the feeling of being in the same room as them while they play, instead of hearing them come out from the stereo speakers. The original mix is of course fine as it is, so there is no need for the new mix unless you want to hear more details.
    I've heard this argument about the limitations,yada yada yada til the cows come home. Folks they had state of the art equipment for the time, and a lot of monaural recordings from the 50's 60's have stood the test of time.
    Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys was pretty much recorded the same way and for years was lauded as "the" standard not only artistically but recording wise on how the final product sounded.
    Yes, the new mix does add or subtract if you're changing levels and eq'ing a track.
    For decades we've listened to the original mix and for the most part people loved it, but now with today's technology all of a sudden we're hearing about the so called "limitations" of the time.
    If you like the new "ears" remix, then fine, but the previous poster was only speaking about the way they like to hear the music, "I just don't like it" is what they said.
    I happen to agree with their point, although I was on the edge of picking it up, but I'm quite happy with my original 87 stereo cd, and 2014 Mono version.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 11-12-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    The new mix doesn't add or subtract anything to the original mix. You just hear everything much clearer.
    That's actually not true. Giles took liberties by bringing certain elements higher in the mix than the originals. Clapton's guitar fills during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one example. So, it's not just a cleaner version of the original mix. He did the same thing he did with "Pepper." I have not listened to the entire thing yet, but there are certainly areas where he added to and subtracted from the mix. So far, I think it sounds really good.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The Esher CD is totally worth the price of the three disc set all by itself.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I actually expect some to be underwhelmed due to over-expectations, but I agree that it's great.

I totally love the Giles Martin remix of the album. I consider myself pretty familiar with it, having bought it in 1969. I've had multiple vinyl and CD versions (1987 and 2009) since then. The remix blows me away. Paul's voice on Helter Skelter sounds like he's in the same room. Maybe that's not how it was originally intended, but I love the clarity and details that I've never noticed. I appreciate that others don't want to listen to anything but the original and that's fine. I suspect that, similar to the Giles' Pepper remix, this White album remix will be my preferred listening version going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Fair to say with the 3 disc set you don't get the book eh?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Here's an unboxing video on YouTube. Pretty anal, but it showed me what I wanted to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlL_Z4yq92k

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's actually not true. Giles took liberties by bringing certain elements higher in the mix than the originals. Clapton's guitar fills during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one example. So, it's not just a cleaner version of the original mix. He did the same thing he did with "Pepper." I have not listened to the entire thing yet, but there are certainly areas where he added to and subtracted from the mix. So far, I think it sounds really good.
    It is a remix, not a remaster or reconstruction. So obviously the levels and panning is different. But they haven't removed voices or instruments or found something that wasn't there on the original mix. You just hear it clearer and with more details. I love how the drums sound, for instance. I haven't listened to the new stereo mix yet, but with the 5.1 mix you get another dimension that I find exiting to listen to.

Finally gave most of the remix a good listen. It's pretty great. Giles brought some interesting parts out that were otherwise lost in the mix. But, he did so without compromising the original mix. The sound is incredible. The bass is very full. It has a studio feel. The clarity is as impressive as he did with "Pepper." I do think he brought the drums a little too far forward on a couple of tracks. And there are a couple of areas where it feels like the instruments are fighting for space. But, those are total minor nitpicks. I think Giles did a great job. My beef with "Pepper" was that there still remains no proper stereo mix as The Beatles envisioned it. So, I can cut this effort more slack because there is a proper stereo White Album.

The outtakes are a treat. Some questionable choices and omissions. Maybe drop a couple of the instrumentals and bring in more outtakes. Although, it's nice to hear the instrumental backing tracks played by the full band. I am a bit surprised they didn't include the unedited "Sexy Sadie" from the Peter Selelrs Tape. I suppose the biggest omission is the 27-minute "Helter Skelter," especially since there's room on each of the three short discs to fit it. Yes, the three discs of outtakes will fit onto two discs.

I have not listened much to the demos, but I've had them for years, so there's nothing new to me. They sound really good, though.

Can't wait to hear what they do with "Abbey Road."

And, let's face it, they owe us anniversary sets of "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver."

While they're at it, how about the original "Get Back" album packaged with the "Let it Be" movie?

And a nice live box set?

Good review. I have no qualms admitting that the new stereo remix will be my go-to from now on. It just sounds better to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Here's a nice long piece on the "accidental perfection" of the White Album

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...es-white-album
    Thanks for posting this, Jerol.

I love the Beatles, but I'm not a total fanboy for them. I could be, but I never let myself go down that rabbit hole. But I've never ruled it out. I was born too late to experience any of this while it was happening, so when I read things like Jerol's article, I have to take the writer's word about the contemporary impact. It's difficult to assess influence sometimes. I've had this conversation with my daughter, who has become a fan after I've played their music for her. It's difficult to relate how the Beatles influenced those who came after them when you're more familiar with those who came after. But it's a worthwhile pursuit, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Big thumbs up for the new 5.1 mix of The White Album. I hear a lot more punch and detail in this version versus the original stereo & mono mixes. Also hearing the demos and the various 'works-in-progress' on CDs 3 thru 6 is a worthwhile look at this making of this Beatles classic (and the book that comes with the set in Essential for Beatle/White Album fans).