Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colouratura (featuring members of The Muffins, Jack o' the Clock, Mercury Tree)

Colouratura (featuring members of The Muffins, Jack o' the Clock, Mercury Tree)

Colouratura is an album made in the off-hours. It is the sound of two pals working together into the late hours of the night and on into the morning. It's the album we made to blow off steam from the other pressures of life. It is the album we made when we weren't looking.

Colouratura started back sometime in early 2016, more or less over summer break when Nathan James and I tracked a couple of tunes together. What's occurred in the intervening months is an album cobbled together of every genre we could throw at it ...

This thing covers a WHOLE lot of ground. Abstract ambient, beautiful pop tunes, lo-fi schizophrenia, Ennio Morricone in space, Prog rock, folk, punk, Gregorian chant, electronic, circus romps. Heart.

"Colouratura" plays through like a single track, flows effortlessly from style to style, and explores an incredible range of dynamics. "Colouratura" is an 'event' album. A 50 minute journey into the heart and mind of one of the most creative individuals I know.

In addition to Nathan (who sings and plays guitar, bass and keys on the album), the guest list is pretty incredible. Dave Newhouse of The Muffins guests on a track, along with Damon Waitkus (Jack o' the Clock) and Connor Reilly (Mercury Tree, Nick Prol and The Proletarians). Drummer Brandon Collins, guitarist Ryan Smurthwaite and vocalist Evyenia Karapolous also make immeasurable contributions to this sonic stew. We couldn't have done it without you.

This is the album that was a labor of love. And it shows. We are proud to present Colouratura and cannot possibly wait to share it with you in only a short time. Its almost here.

We want to do this thing right, and release it physically. There is a beautiful cover design by waiting in the wings. The money you graciously donate will go toward production cost. NONE of it will be used for anything other than pressing and releasing this album. We can't offer much - however, if you donate above the $15 mark, we will send you a physical copy of the record when it is finished - $8, we will send you a digital copy.

https://www.gofundme.com/colouratura-album

Glad to see it has reached it goal so quickly!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Cool - i was glad to donate.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hey Ian. Is that physical copy a CD or vinyl?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Colouratura (featuring members of The Muffins, Jack o' the Clock, Mercury Tree)

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Hey Ian. Is that physical copy a CD or vinyl?
    CDs. Vinyl is WAY out of our price range, plus we'd probably have to go the double album length since the total run time is like 50:07.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ian, if you don't mind the suggestion, include your description of the album you give here in your Facebook post. I read the FB post yesterday and didn't really know what it was about.

Assuming you're still accepting donations.

Also, do you perform on the album? If so, what do you play?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ian, if you don't mind the suggestion, include your description of the album you give here in your Facebook post. I read the FB post yesterday and didn't really know what it was about.

Assuming you're still accepting donations.

Hi Jed! This description is actually lifted directly from the gofundme page, which you can link to from the FB page. Sorry for the confusion. I'll repost on FB with this info.

We hit our mark, but we are still accepting donations. I'm actually quite surprised by the response and I'm going to keep it open to gauge interest (we may end up ordering more discs based on the level of interest!)

Also, do you perform on the album? If so, what do you play?
    I play flute on a track called "Hymn" with Damon Waitkus backing me on guitar. Pretty exciting.

Though not a 'performance' I was heavily involved with a lot of how this album sounds. I recorded almost every single note on it and Nate and I mixed it together, side by side. So when I say 'treatments' in the liner notes, I'm talking about FX, panning, microphone placement, editing, etc. I also had a lot of fun handing Nate sounds he hadn't explored before and watching him go nuts on mellotron, and suggesting things on certain tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    CDs. Vinyl is WAY out of our price range, plus we'd probably have to go the double album length since the total run time is like 50:07.

Ha! I'm no vinyl fetishist. CD means I'm on board for the physical release.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Ha! I'm no vinyl fetishist. CD means I'm on board for the physical release.
    You da man, man!!

Hi Jed! This description is actually lifted directly from the gofundme page, which you can link to from the FB page. Sorry for the confusion. I'll repost on FB with this info.

We hit our mark, but we are still accepting donations. I'm actually quite surprised by the response and I'm going to keep it open to gauge interest (we may end up ordering more discs based on the level of interest!)

I play flute on a track called "Hymn" with Damon Waitkus backing me on guitar. Pretty exciting.

Though not a 'performance' I was heavily involved with a lot of how this album sounds. I recorded almost every single note on it and Nate and I mixed it together, side by side. So when I say 'treatments' in the liner notes, I'm talking about FX, panning, microphone placement, editing, etc. I also had a lot of fun handing Nate sounds he hadn't explored before and watching him go nuts on mellotron, and suggesting things on certain tracks.

Kind of like Enossification, but Ianification! Cool!

Hey gang, CDs ordered. Due here June 7th (same night Nate and I are due to see Bent Knee!). Big thanks to PE's own Eric Kearns (Phlakaton) for helping us to complete the cover design.

You can now preorder this on Bandcamp. Official release is Jun16, physical orders might just show up before then ... ;-)

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Full album available for streaming now on bandcamp.

Ian,

Really nice album. Congrats! A lovely diversity of sounds and moods.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Ian,

Really nice album. Congrats! A lovely diversity of sounds and moods.
    Yay! Glad you're digging it.

I should note that it's Nathan's compositions and my production. I may have suggested a thing or two here and there.

Colouratura is album of the week on ISKC progressive rock radio!

http://iskc.rocks/?page_id=3670

It's here! You can now own one of these to call your very own.

colouratura cover.jpgcolouratura back.jpg

My copy just arrived! My one and only complaint: the lyrics are printed so small, even knowing how old we all are!

Anyway, looking forward to listening to it! Impressive how quickly it was released. Screw the middleman!

Mine arrived today.Will spin it tonight.Thanks.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

My copy just arrived! My one and only complaint: the lyrics are printed so small, even knowing how old we all are!

Anyway, looking forward to listening to it! Impressive how quickly it was released. Screw the middleman!
    Ha! Love this.

Apologies about the lyric booklet.

Unfortunately part of the problem is it printed a bit on the dark side ... it's just a reality of the medium. I can give you a word doc or PDF / jpg of the lyrics if you'd like.

Hey there PE gang -

Just a heads up that we're working diligently on our second album, Unfamiliar Skies.

You can hear an advance single here which will get a wide digital release (along with the first album) this week. This one's called NAUTILUS and it is a tribute to the 70s 'stoner metal' of Black Sabbath and Rainbow. Have a happy new year. And, watch out for squids ......

New single out today, KEROUAC.

New single out today, KEROUAC.

Sounds good! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post

Sounds good! Thanks for posting!
    Thank you!

Just a heads up, we've officially launched the gofundme campaign for album #2 AND a new single, an extract from 'Parallels', the 10 minute suite that opens the album (featuring Dave Newhouse of the Muffins).

We've approved the inner and outer cover designs by the remarkable Eric Kearns (Check out the sample below), and we're looking at ordering the discs roughly a week from today (April 7th).

What does this mean? This means that you have SEVEN days to secure your preorder at www.gofundme.com/unfamiliarskies (PS - due to private donations we are about $150 from making our goal, which means that Unfamiliar Skies is a GO and you can preorder with confidence.) Obviously if you preorder, I anticipate you will have your discs in hand before the rest of the world ... possibly sometime late next month?

Oh yeah, to sweeten things even further I've prepared an 'Associated Recordings' CD-R for the $50+ levels. This includes two session outtakes and a bunch of demos and fun things that show our process. (Obviously if you donated at this level or above, you get it regardless)

Onward!

29942556_10216561057645660_730709461_o.jpg