Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Dear Hunter

I do see them occasionally at used stores in my hometown. More often now the last 2 Acts, Migrant and The Color Spectrum sampler. I kind of feel like I need to pick them up to send to others unable to find them.

I own 2 or 3 copies of both Act 1 and 2 on CD. I guess if I find more, I'll have to grab them and be up for sending them to folks who may want them.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I do see them occasionally at used stores in my hometown. More often now the last 2 Acts, Migrant and The Color Spectrum sampler. I kind of feel like I need to pick them up to send to others unable to find them.

I own 2 or 3 copies of both Act 1 and 2 on CD. I guess if I find more, I'll have to grab them and be up for sending them to folks who may want them.
    RAISES HAND!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Excellent band. I reach for Acts 2, 3, 4 and Migrant often. The new one's pretty awesome too.

Prog Emo? You bet!!! And count me in.
    The Prog Corner

I'll be sure to look. I do wonder if some of the Vinyl might include the cds (some seem to often now).

anyway, here's my review of the show from the other night:
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...ter-first.html

Jeez, I'm from Rhode Island and completely missed these guys.

I've been doing some computer work today and have been listening to a YouTube file that some one created of apparently all their CD's. I have been enjoying them quite a bit. Some really great stuff with the occasional dog mixed in, but sadly, I must begin the search for their CD's.

Progeezer, thanks for heads up!

^^^^ You're very welcome, RI!

So I've ordered Acts IV & V, Migrant & Color Spectrum, and now my assignment for today is to figure out which of my 3 grandchildren I need to barter into slavery for Acts I, II & III!!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

wow, it is scary how rare or expensive the 1st 3 Acts are on CD. I recall seeing some stuff about that like a year or 2 ago, but given I own them already, it didn't affect me.

I may want to try asking Casey on twitter if they ever may go back into print. It may have something to do with the label.

In the mean time, when I do get to places like Half Price Books and other used music stores (Cheapo possibly), I'll have to spend a little time looking for them. The problem is, I don't shop for CDs very much anymore, and a lot of the retailers don't carry them, but mostly Vinyl instead.

Sheesh, this reminds me of trying to find some of the Kevin Gilbert cds, seeing Shaming of the True or Thud on ebay for well over $100, sometimes 2 or $300 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    The Dear Hunter themselves were very tight. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the sound mix was in their favor as I struggled to hear the vocals. But for some reason, I did not for Coheed.
    This was identical to the show I was at on Monday. I was disappointed as I think Casey has a great voice and was looking forward to hearing it live for the first time. I only have Acts IV and V but love them and don't find Casey to be overly "yell-y". They also have great harmonies and I was l wondering how they would pull that off live. But it was very tough to hear the vocals and overall the mix was not great. What was surprising after that was that the sound quality for Coheed and Cambria was incredible, both vocals and guitars, so clear despite being at the usual chest cavity compressing volumes (which since since I didn't have a dB meter on me I would only describe as "fucking loud"). Is this just the skill of the guy at the mixing board? You always see the small-ish amps on stage but this is blasted through the big hanging speakers above the stage right? What could cause such a difference between the two bands playing in the same venue, with more or less the same sound setup, one right after the other?

Sorry you guys had acoustics issues. I guess I was lucky since the venue is known for its acoustics & the mix was just fine.

^ Making sure the headliner is not upstaged?

^^^Even though that sucks, that does have merit.

Quote Originally Posted by pbd999 View Post
    This was identical to the show I was at on Monday. I was disappointed as I think Casey has a great voice and was looking forward to hearing it live for the first time. I only have Acts IV and V but love them and don't find Casey to be overly "yell-y". They also have great harmonies and I was l wondering how they would pull that off live. But it was very tough to hear the vocals and overall the mix was not great. What was surprising after that was that the sound quality for Coheed and Cambria was incredible, both vocals and guitars, so clear despite being at the usual chest cavity compressing volumes (which since since I didn't have a dB meter on me I would only describe as "fucking loud"). Is this just the skill of the guy at the mixing board? You always see the small-ish amps on stage but this is blasted through the big hanging speakers above the stage right? What could cause such a difference between the two bands playing in the same venue, with more or less the same sound setup, one right after the other?
    that is odd. It may have something to do with the amps they use.

I have seen The Dear Hunter many times. 8 times including Saturday per http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...e-history.html
    and they have sounded a lot better before from a mixing standpoint.

And sadly, I haven't read a ton of reviews from this current tour that might add to this feeling.

On a cool/humorous side note, check out this video they shared the other day. Bass player Nick Socellito in a Buffalo'66-like vibe bowling.

https://www.facebook.com/therealTDH/...6/?pnref=story

Also I noticed this album on a blog the other day. The artwork is awfully similar to some of the stuff from the last 2 albums, which makes me wonder if it was done by the same person.

http://www.getrockmusic.net/artist/nothing-like-you

Quote Originally Posted by pbd999 View Post
    I only have Acts IV and V but love them and don't find Casey to be overly "yell-y".
    That's mostly true of the first couple of Acts. His singing has improved a lot since.

I sold Act I fairly cheap within the last year. Guess I could have gotten more, but glad it found a better home as I never listened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    That's mostly true of the first couple of Acts. His singing has improved a lot since.
    Agree. The yelling turned more into singing and IV and V are my favorites.

the screaming in some ways really came from his work with The Receiving End of Sirens (the other members had more of a background in Post-Hardcore than Casey), which became an acquired taste for me, and once it did, I totally fell in love with the album Casey was on Between the Heart and the Synapse.

I found Act I for $10 last month

Sounds like a band that would give some diversity to a festival or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Sounds like a band that would give some diversity to a festival or two?
    I am actually surprised they have not played one yet. They tour a lot so timing may be part of it, but I would think they would be a good fit.

Yeah, I think that a lot of people (like me until 3 weeks ago) would be in "where have I/they been" mode if they played a festival.

I believe they played on Prog Nation at Sea. I was heavily interested in going to that cruise, but the timing was poor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ... for as long as they've been around I never heard (of) them.

OK all you New Englanders (they're from Providence), who tf are these guys, ...
    I'm originally from Providence and have never heard of them. Of course, I've been out of the local Providence scene for years. One of my best friends, who's a professional musician, still lives there and has never mentioned them to me. Guess I'd better look into what I've been missing.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Hold on.

They are not based in Providence anymore.

Casey was born in Southern California where he grew up and had a musical family along with his brother Nick whose TDH's drummer.

Casey MOVED to Boston in the early 2000's, initially for a girl I guess, but he ended up literally meeting the guys from The Receiving End of Sirens when they met them at the Urban Outfitters he was working at.

He resided in the Boston area throughout the time he was in TREOS. And I recall initially after when he started TDH.

Eventually around the time of Act III I think he ended up living in Rhode Island, which some of the other touring members at the time also did.

But around the time of The Color Spectrum or shortly before, he moved back to Southern California.

He was there for I want to say at least 3 maybe 4 years. Around the time he finished the Amour in Attrition Symphony or not long after, he moved to Port Angeles, WA where he wrote and recorded much of Acts IV and V. And as far as I know, he still lives there.

the other members per say I think all are based in Southern California still.

Thanks for this, Geezer.
    Is there a connection with the Albany, NY area, which is mentioned many times in the recording of Color Spectrum, etc?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Thanks for this, Geezer.
    Is there a connection with the Albany, NY area, which is mentioned many times in the recording of Color Spectrum, etc?
    You're welcome. It's nice to see I'm not alone in this revelation.

As for your question, I defer to MN Kyle, who has the background knowledge on TDH that I don't.