Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Col. Bruce Hampton

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I have to confess I can't get past the vocals on Music To Eat. I like his stuff from the 90s onward, but listening to that Grease Band album is a tough slog. Maybe I should sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    ....and the official release of the Hampton Grease Band's "Music To Eat", originally released in 1971, is horribly out of print...I still can't believe that Columbia bothered to put it out on disc in the first place. That had to be around 20 years ago, and I doubt they pressed that many..
    Actually, the reissue wasn't put out by Columbia. It was put out by something called Shotput Records, which was distributed by Columbia. According to discogs.com, Shotput only put out six titles (one of which was a Glenn Phillips solo album), circa 1996, so it must have been a pretty short lived operation.

I have a vague memory of an MTV News report from that era that identified Shotput as being a label run by some them well known rock musician. I'm thinking it was somebody like Mike Watt or one of the guys from Nirvana (not Cobain, obviously), or someone like that. If that's true, than it was probably whichever musician who used whatever clout he had to get Columbia to let him put out the reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I have a vague memory of an MTV News report from that era that identified Shotput as being a label run by some them well known rock musician.
    Firing up Google ("Shotput Records" is not easy to search) I found a Billboard article from 1996 saying that Brendan O'Brien ran it.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Firing up Google ("Shotput Records" is not easy to search) I found a Billboard article from 1996 saying that Brendan O'Brien ran it.
    Wasn't Peter Buck involved as well? His reverence towards allthings G. Phillips is well known and he's a committed fan of the MtE album, but I also remember Reading many years ago about how he was part of a smalltime record label-foundation dedicated to reissuing eccentric underground rock "classics". I believe they were at the time also working on reissuing the MU/Fankhauser albums, for instance - although eventually this task was sorted out elsewhere.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wasn't Peter Buck involved as well?
    I didn't find mention of Buck related to Shotput.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I didn't find mention of Buck related to Shotput.
    I was surely mistaken, then. He does remain a significant fan, though - thankfully.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    listening to that Grease Band album is a tough slog. Maybe I should sell it.
    If you've got the vinyl, that's pretty easy to process nowadays. I guess with the outset of CDs and the OOP-status of MtE, you won't find much difficulty in converting that into dough either.

My tip, however, would be to stay with it and try listening again a few years down the line. This is one of those peculiar cases where it might stick.