Thread: New Jean-Michel Jarre Interview w/making of Zoolook and Music for Supermarkets

New Jean-Michel Jarre Interview w/making of Zoolook and Music for Supermarkets

Hey everyone,

Okay, I immediately acknowledge that perhaps his new output does not necessarily fit into areas of interest here. But Jean-Michel Jarre's past certainly does.

I just interviewed him for Innerviews here: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/jean-michel-jarre

We covered some important historical stuff, including Zoolook, Music for Supermarkets, Concerts in China, and Pierre Schaeffer. His three new albums are also covered.

Interview allotments are so short for Jarre that I wasn't able to do the usual 2-hour Innerviews thing, but I did what I could within 35 minutes.

Excellent, thank you!

"Pierre Schaeffer is the grandfather of DJs. "
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I'm not the biggest JMJ fan, but I like Zoolook, and its the only one I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I'm not the biggest JMJ fan, but I like Zoolook, and its the only one I own.
    I fully concur with Zeuhlmate that Zoolook is the only JMJ record worth listening to. With Zoolook JMJ discovered the (then) very fashionable sampling techniques but unfortunately he came a little bit late in the game, not as a pioneer but as a follower.

To give you a better idea about what can be done by (clever) use of early sampling techniques (but not only) I would recommend listening to Computerakustiche Klangsinfonie by ERDENKLANG (H.Bogenmayr & H.Zuschrader), released in 1982 (two years before Zoolook). This album was entirely realized (including sequencing) on the first FAIRLIGHT CMI music computer and most of the sounds were created by the musicians themselves using "natural sounds" as raw sound material. A truly innovative but sadly unknow record.