Thread: Great deal if you own a p-mount cartridge turntable

Great deal if you own a p-mount cartridge turntable

I have a Technics SL-QX300 turntable in my bedroom system. I got it for a few reasons - one, it was highly recommended by previous owners, two, it is fully automatic, so I don't have to worry about shutting it off to save my stylus, and three, it uses p-mount cartridges, which are plug and play. That means you don't have to use several tools for installation, nor carefully balance the tonearm and set the tracking force and anti-skate.
    While you can get more high end regular cartidges, there are some p-mount cartridges that have relatively good performance for less than 60.00. The main problem, though, is they are becoming pretty rare because none makes p-mount turntables anymore.
    Because of this, I have been looking into purchasing a second Audio-Technica AT311EP as backup to the one I am currently using. I have been very happy with the sound of this cartridge.

So my wife wanted to go to Fry's this past Friday night. They occasionally have some good vinyl deals, so while I was looking in that section (snagged The Wall for 29.99 BTW!), I happened to glance in their locked case for cartridges. Lo and behold, I saw ONE AT311EP cartridge (never opened) on sale for 19.99! If you shop for this one online, it is typically about 56.00. I noticed a few other regular cartridges that were sale priced as well. It could be that they are discontinuing selling the cartridges. They probably had only about 6 others.
    Anyway, if you have a p-mount turntable, this one is highly recommended. Maybe you'll find a great deal also.
    As more and more big box stores are closing and reducing their offerings, you can often find great deals like this, especially on specialized products.

I actually bought an AT311EP from Fry's like 6 months ago, for the same price. I already had one, but it was time to change the stylus, which would've been more expensive than the whole cartridge.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I actually bought an AT311EP from Fry's like 6 months ago, for the same price. I already had one, but it was time to change the stylus, which would've been more expensive than the whole cartridge.
    Isn't that hilarious?
    I consider that particular cartridge to be comparable to most regular cartridges around 100.00.
    If I ever see any more at that price, I will probably snatch up at least one or two more.. I'm fairly certain they are not producing them anymore.

We used to sell the crap out of these t-tables when I worked at Pacific Stereo in NorCal. Great, hardworking units. I used to abuse the shit out of mine doing backtracking for skits and general amusement.

The only thing more overpriced than styli for t-tables were the powered antennas for cars. We'd buy them for under $20 and sell them for over a hundred.