Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Marillion's Misplaced Childhood Steven Wilson 5.1 mix

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    That's usually my approach too but I'm already on my third listen of all five discs and I've only had it four days! No intention of putting this into storage any time soon. Am also not in demos but it's interesting to hear an instrumental passage of Lady Nina incorpororated in the Suite as it was obviously removed for the final version, thought it would have slotted in just fine!
    I've listened to the live show three times and watched the doc twice already. I'd love to get a raw version of that doc.

Not blown away by how the proper version of the album sounds so I may not return to this particular recording often but that's not why I'm happy to have it this package.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Yes. There are a lot of redundancies on this one but in my case totally worth it for Utrecht, the doc and the art. Glad I got one each signed by Fish and the band.

Utrecht is probably the probably the only commercially released Fish-era live performance (Aside from Recital Of the Script and the official bootlegs) to really reflect what this band was like live. For me, Real to Reel, Brief Encounter, Thieving, and Loreley don't come close to the live impact of this band. So I think it's great that some people will be finally discovering that.
    Good point, but don't forget the Different Stages box set from EMI. But probably this one will reach a larger audience.

I just had my first listen to the 5.1 mix and have to say I love it .
    I am someone who basically missed the whole NEO prog thing back in the 80s and never even heard Misplaced Childhood until about 10 years ago , I would say it is my favorite neo prog album so I was really looking forward to getting this boxed set .
    The whole package looks fantastic, first class all the way . I will be enjoying the hell out of this!
    Last edited by bobert; 08-01-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Good point, but don't forget the Different Stages box set from EMI. But probably this one will reach a larger audience.
    I guess Early Stages was official. but I'm not sure the average Marillion fan (do they even exist?) would be motivated to pick something like that up.

Here's a point of discussion: In the doc Fish mentions that had the Number 1 album (or was it Number 2?) when Live Aid was happening and openly wonders if the exposure would have made a bigger difference if they had been asked to play (as he seems to feel that they should have been asked)

Not sure what the answer is to this hypothetical question. Not sure how much difference it would have made in the US as the band weren't exactly playing fashionable music but who knows?

Ember
    Not sure how much difference it would have made in the US as the band weren't exactly playing fashionable music but who knows?
    Probably about as much good as playing Live Aid in the US did for The Hooters (also one of my favorite 80s bands, also still together) in England. The Hooters aren't prog, but there are some similarities in their histories. About them opening the US side of Live Aid, Bob Geldof is quoted as saying "Who the f*** are The Hooters?"

^ Another example: The Alarm had that big-deal live sattelite-Broadcast concert from LA on MTV and it didn't really help them much. They were quickly forgotten by the masses. (I'm a fan, BTW.)

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Probably about as much good as playing Live Aid in the US did for The Hooters (also one of my favorite 80s bands, also still together) in England. The Hooters aren't prog, but there are some similarities in their histories. About them opening the US side of Live Aid, Bob Geldof is quoted as saying "Who the f*** are The Hooters?"
    Have three or four Hooters albums actually. Not seen them live but I think they sold out the Keswick again this year.

^ Another example: The Alarm had that big-deal live sattelite-Broadcast concert from LA on MTV and it didn't really help them much. They were quickly forgotten by the masses. (I'm a fan, BTW.)
    Don't remember that concert, but I'm a fan and have all their albums and some solo stuff.

Wished I'd followed up on that reissue program about 15 years ago (only ever got the first reissue and it's really sweet.) I still only have the originals. Still remember them being tagged as kind of U2 junior band.
    Last edited by ytserush; 08-16-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Ember
    Have three or four Hooters albums actually. Not seen them live but I think they sold out the Keswick again this year.
    I've seen them only twice in recent years, but a zillion times back in the day when I was in one or two smaller local bands when they were at the top of the heap of local bands. Their concert repertoire has a disappointing sameness to it nowadays, but they do a great show. Recently released a live double CD of Keswick-recorded performances, via CD Baby.

I'm having bad luck with my blu-ray discs.....they have sent me two and both were blank!

A third one is on the way and it has been tested!

Don't remember that concert, but I'm a fan and have all their albums and some solo stuff.

Wished I'd followed up on that reissue program about 15 years ago (only ever got the first reissue and it's really sweet.) I still only have the originals. Still remember them being tagged as kind of Us junior band.
    They did a 30th Anniversary show at UCLA last year to commemorate the oriinal broadcast. I guess it was the first worldwide live broadcast of a rock concert or something.

http://thealarm.com/24-hours-to-ucla-30th-anniversary/

I never bought any of the reissues. I'm pretty happy with all the original CDs. Mike Peters has done a good job of keeping the franchise going, but he releases WAY too much stuff for me to even try to keep up with, and also does far too many live events to keep up with. I have a friend who's a completist Marillion and The Alarm fan. Both bands keep him busy! I saw The Alarm on the Strength tour in a gym at Ithaca college. It was a great show! Lone Justice opened for them. Yeah, The Alarm did have a U2 junior vibe, but I actually got a lot more mileage out of them than U2. I liked the sort of Woody Guthrie/Neil Young vein they had running through their music. Mike Peters is a good story teller too.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-11-2017 at 09:34 AM.

They did a 30th Anniversary show at UCLA last year to commemorate the oriinal broadcast. I guess it was the first worldwide live broadcast of a rock concert or something.

http://thealarm.com/24-hours-to-ucla-30th-anniversary/

I never bought any of the reissues. I'm pretty happy with all the original CDs. Mike Peters has done a good job of keeping the franchise going, but he releases WAY too much stuff for me to even try to keep up with, and also does far too many live events to keep up with. I have a friend who's a completist Marillion and The Alarm fan. Both bands keep him busy! I saw The Alarm on the Strength tour in a gym at Ithaca college. It was a great show! Lone Justice opened for them. Yeah, The Alarm did have a U2 junior vibe, but I actually got a lot more mileage out of them than U2. I liked the sort of Woody Guthrie/Neil Young vein they had running through their music. Mike Peters is a good story teller too.

Thanks for that. Going to watch this weekend.

Have to admit I've not kept up with Alarm news for about 15 years other to note that Mike Peters joined Big Country for a while (which I'd have liked to have seen.) I might regret going to look seek out what's out there in Alarm world over the last 15 years.

I watched some of the discussion among the band members and Chris Kimsey on the Blu-Ray last night, and man Fish is difficult to understand. I've never had a problem with his accent on the between-song banter, or speaking with him (a tad) in person. But in free-wheeling conversation like that it's very difficult for me to catch what he's saying. I think maybe it also wasn't miked very well, but the others are a lot easier to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I'm having bad luck with my blu-ray discs.....they have sent me two and both were blank!

A third one is on the way and it has been tested!
    Four discs, four blanks.

My blu-ray works with everything else, including the new Gentle Giant blu-ray.

I watched some of the discussion among the band members and Chris Kimsey on the Blu-Ray last night, and man Fish is difficult to understand. I've never had a problem with his accent on the between-song banter, or speaking with him (a tad) in person. But in free-wheeling conversation like that it's very difficult for me to catch what he's saying. I think maybe it also wasn't miked very well, but the others are a lot easier to understand.
    agreed! as soon as it started I tried finding some subtitles sadly not included. usually I play solitaire or something while I listen to interviews but for this one had to really pay attention to understand the words

This kind of thing rarely if ever includes subtitles.

Four discs, four blanks.

My blu-ray works with everything else, including the new Gentle Giant blu-ray.
    Blanks? Aren't they testing them? Well, I've had one similar quality control issue with a Fish release, the Kettle of Fish video compilation DVD. My copy's buggy and I've never managed to get a replacement from them. Of course this was during the bad days when he had that employee who was embezzling. I need to check it again and see what my Oppo Blu-Ray player makes of it.

Lucky it's only with Fish. For me I have difficulty to understand all those actors and musicians that are from Great Britain or Scotland...

^ Overall I'm good at understanding British accents, having watched a ton of BBC shows growing up, having a lot of English camp counselors, etc.

Blanks? Aren't they testing them? Well, I've had one similar quality control issue with a Fish release, the Kettle of Fish video compilation DVD. My copy's buggy and I've never managed to get a replacement from them. Of course this was during the bad days when he had that employee who was embezzling. I need to check it again and see what my Oppo Blu-Ray player makes of it.
    I was told they were tested......but all 4 were blank.

I tried it on multiple players with no results.

Put it in the computer to see if there were any files on this disc and I got the "no disc in drive" error.

I have just given up. The good folks at Racket did the best they could.

I had the same issue with the "tales" blu-ray......and all i got was shit from burning shed. They tried to tell me it was my player which was a bunch of crap. Finally they said they would send me a replacement disc but it never came. So I am done getting physical media from them.

So from now on, any blu-ray releases will be bought from Amazon where returns for bad product are no issue.

Put it in the computer to see if there were any files on this disc and I got the "no disc in drive" error.

I had the same issue with the "tales" blu-ray......and all i got was shit from burning shed. They tried to tell me it was my player which was a bunch of crap. Finally they said they would send me a replacement disc but it never came. So I am done getting physical media from them.

So from now on, any blu-ray releases will be bought from Amazon where returns for bad product are no issue.
    That's really weird, I can't really think what happened except that they didn't really test them at Racket. I can see the manufacturer screwing up, but Racket's usually pretty careful.

I was gonna guess the player maybe too after the XTC oranges and lemons PS3 debacle (of which there was never a solution so I just have a coaster until I get another blu ray player). but misplaced childhood worked fine on my PS3 so it can't be the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    I was gonna guess the player maybe too after the XTC oranges and lemons PS3 debacle (of which there was never a solution so I just have a coaster until I get another blu ray player). but misplaced childhood worked fine on my PS3 so it can't be the same issue.
    Why would it be the player if every other blu-ray disc I have works.

Which, is true, doesn't make sense to me.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Was Wilson able to reduce any of the whinniness on some of the songs?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Was Wilson able to reduce any of the whinniness on some of the songs?
    Can you give specific examples? Do you mean the lyrics to the songs? He didn't change any of them.