Thread: Blatant omissions in PROG MAG 100 greatest anthems

Blatant omissions in PROG MAG 100 greatest anthems

Very surprised to not find Ashes Are Burning or Child In Time among the half dozen or so by Marillion. Also not one Heep anthem? Paradise/The Spell, July Morning, Salisbury, The Park? Maybe I should cancel my prescription and read Classic Rock instead? Just venting. I still love it. Just don't understand neo-prog I guess or prog metal for that matter and all the real estate these took up.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more." — Y.J. Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    Very surprised to not find Ashes Are Burning or Child In Time among the half dozen or so by Marillion. Also not one Heep anthem? Paradise/The Spell, July Morning, Salisbury, The Park? Maybe I should cancel my prescription and read Classic Rock instead? Just venting. I still love it. Just don't understand neo-prog I guess or prog metal for that matter and all the real estate these took up.
    A top 100 list that someone has a problem with?

Say it ain't so!

I haven't seen the list, but PROG has always slanted towards the accessible, the neo, the classics, the metal, and the English. There have always been huge gaps and omissions if viewed from a broader standpoint. But it is what it is.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Touché. Just wanted to start an alt list and vent a little...mostly about my own narrow prog tastes

Touché. Just wanted to start an alt list and vent a little...mostly about my own narrow prog tastes
    Do you have their list or a link to it?

I have a feeling that I'd object to at least half.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Do you have their list or a link to it?

I have a feeling that I'd object to at least half.
    I'm sure it is in TeamRock website. I have the print version.

I'm sure it is in TeamRock website. I have the print version.
    You have to be a subscriber to view it.

Feel free to manually copy them to here.

I leafed through that list and fell on their stats about the list ... the group with the most tracks in that list is Marillion

end of debate, jokers!!

I bought Mojo instead!! Floyd, Hawkwind, Delany & Bonnie and Bat Out Of Hell

ps: It's been twi years since I bought Prog... and I prefer buying the mother mag Classy Crock.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You just have to take a deep breath and rise above this kind of dogshit, my friend. It is much more fun to have a laugh at the cluelessness of the yobs who compile these "Best Of" lists. It's only a desperate device to generate sales, in place of actually taking the time to write articles (!), however short, about bands and musicians, from the 60's to the present, who added their piece of the puzzle of the HUGE mosaic that is "progressive rock".
    I fucking resent when magazines resort to this cheap and dull tactic to sell their mags, as if their writers have the definitive say on fucking greatness, or whatever...yet I'd stand a pint to any one of those pricks who know more about prog rock than you, or I do.
    And goddamnit, I really dig MOJO, but their allergy to progressive rock has begun to grate on me over the years. For some reason their staff reveres Hawkwind, Can, and Robert Wyatt....but why stop there? Why, instead of another god damned Ramones, Clash, or Sex Pistols article, why not tell the stories of Caravan, Nektar, Camel, etc, each of whom sold more than all of those overrated shit bands combined?
    It hurt my heart when I realized that MOJO is in the fashion-peddling business, just like Rolling Dogshit....not the music. Tell me over and over how great The Band was, and Bob Dylan, the fucking unbelievably overrated Clash, and the motherfucking Ramones. Over and over.
    Anyway...take a deep breath as I do, and laugh at these fucking yobs who think their opinion is gospel. None of them know shit.

Yeah, but every mag as their fave pets and will make main features roughly twice per year

Classy Crock has Aerosmith, Zep, GnR, etc...
    Prog has Marillion, Yes and whatever else
    I forget what Q's fave pets are (and I don't care)

But Mojo's issue is actually somewhat about prog (despite a main feature of Prince) since the free CD (only started listening to it last night in the car and left it there) is doing an overview of today's prog scene from their own POV. It's kinfd of uninformed but the intention isn't bad.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    You just have to take a deep breath and rise above this kind of dogshit, my friend. It is much more fun to have a laugh at the cluelessness of the yobs who compile these "Best Of" lists. It's only a desperate device to generate sales, in place of actually taking the time to write articles (!), however short, about bands and musicians, from the 60's to the present, who added their piece of the puzzle of the HUGE mosaic that is "progressive rock".
    I fucking resent when magazines resort to this cheap and dull tactic to sell their mags, as if their writers have the definitive say on fucking greatness, or whatever...yet I'd stand a pint to any one of those pricks who know more about prog rock than you, or I do.
    And goddamnit, I really dig MOJO, but their allergy to progressive rock has begun to grate on me over the years. For some reason their staff reveres Hawkwind, Can, and Robert Wyatt....but why stop there? Why, instead of another god damned Ramones, Clash, or Sex Pistols article, why not tell the stories of Caravan, Nektar, Camel, etc, each of whom sold more than all of those overrated shit bands combined?
    It hurt my heart when I realized that MOJO is in the fashion-peddling business, just like Rolling Dogshit....not the music. Tell me over and over how great The Band was, and Bob Dylan, the fucking unbelievably overrated Clash, and the motherfucking Ramones. Over and over.
    Anyway...take a deep breath as I do, and laugh at these fucking yobs who think their opinion is gospel. None of them know shit.
    I feel your pain, buddy, but why to hold it back? Express yourself

Apparently Supper's Ready is number one on the list, with Close to the Edge at number two. There are no ELP tracks included in the top ten. Number 100 is Inca Roads by Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention from One Size Fits All (1975). Thick As A Brick may be at number eight. That's all I could find out (from the Pink Fish forum). I assume there is their definition of anthem in the magazine . . . and I wonder if SAHB's Anthem is included?
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

from what I remember 9 ft Underground is at n°98 or something...

Iy's not that atrocious per se, but uninteresting in the view of the 10 (wasted) pages it occupies.

It was a readers poll. No criteria set. But I was pleased to see Haken got five songs in the Top 100.
    The Prog Corner

Can't believe Folsom Prison Blues got snubbed AGAIN. Prog is so elitist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Apparently Supper's Ready is number one on the list, with Close to the Edge at number two. There are no ELP tracks included in the top ten. Number 100 is Inca Roads by Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention from One Size Fits All (1975). Thick As A Brick may be at number eight. That's all I could find out (from the Pink Fish forum). I assume there is their definition of anthem in the magazine . . . and I wonder if SAHB's Anthem is included?
    If Supper's Ready and Close to the Edge are 'anthems' then I guess I don't know what an anthem actually is

Presumably a lot of people answering the poll just nominated their favourite tracks without any actual thought process about what makes a piece anthemic.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

Presumably a lot of people answering the poll just nominated their favourite tracks without any actual thought process about what makes a piece anthemic.
    No way. Those are Progfans. There's no way that would ever happen.

For some reason their staff [Mojo magazine] reveres Hawkwind, Can, and Robert Wyatt....but why stop there?
    They've been more than fair. In addition to the artists you mention, they've also run major articles on and continue to give positive coverage to Peter Gabriel, Van der Graaf Generator, Fripp/Crimson, and Peter Hammill.

Why, instead of another god damned Ramones, Clash, or Sex Pistols article, why not tell the stories of Caravan, Nektar, Camel, etc, each of whom sold more than all of those overrated shit bands combined?
    Caravan, Nektar, and Camel have sold more individually than the Ramones, Clash, or Pistols have combined??????

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Caravan, Nektar, and Camel have sold more individually than the Ramones, Clash, or Pistols have combined??????
    That was an odd claim by veteranof1000psychicwars. Much prog has sold enormously well, but those bands...? I don't think Caravan has charted in the UK or US. Nektar did better: Down to Earth made #32 in the US. Camel are the best sellers: Moonmadness and Rain Dances made the UK top 20 (just), while they've had two albums go Silver in the US.

However, that compares to The Sex Pistols, whose one studio album went Platinum in the US and double Platinum in the UK, and was #1 in the UK. They had 7 top 10 singles in the UK in all. The Clash's Combat Rock went double Platinum in the US, and Gold in the UK. All 6 of their studio albums made the UK top 20, as did 5 singles. The Ramones are the weakest selling of the three, but that still means a couple of Gold certifications in the US, a top 10 UK single and a top 10 UK album. We don't know full numbers, but I think any one of The Sex Pistols, The Clash or The Ramones alone probably sold more than Caravan, Nektar and Camel combined.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mojo has never struck me as anti-prog in any way. There was still some of the 'moldy fig'/rock 'purist' brigade at other publications but I'm not sure anymore.

I think comparing Camel, Caravan and Nektar to probably the biggest selling of the punk groups (unless you count the likes of Blondie, The Stranglers and The Jam, who had more 'crossover' appeal) is a fallacy. Camel, Caravan and Nektar were cult bands, really...Nektar were popular for a while in the US but never made any sales impact in the UK. Caravan had fairly minimal impact. Camel did better but no really huge albums, even then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    If Supper's Ready and Close to the Edge are 'anthems' then I guess I don't know what an anthem actually is

Yeah, that was my thought too. Please define anthem for us. To me, Ashes are Burning is a great piece of music and one of Renaissance's all time classics, but I wouldn't call it an anthem. I would think anthems are short, catchy and very melodic in nature. The vocal section of Utopia Theme by Rundgren for instance would be an anthem (but not the rest of the song).

[QUOTE=veteranof1000psychicwars;693573]

It hurt my heart when I realized that MOJO is in the fashion-peddling business, just like Rolling Dogshit....

THIS made me laugh out loud - I believe you've nailed the essence, history and importance of Rolling Stone magazine here.

[QUOTE=arabicadabra;718021]

It hurt my heart when I realized that MOJO is in the fashion-peddling business, just like Rolling Dogshit....

THIS made me laugh out loud - I believe you've nailed the essence, history and importance of Rolling Stone magazine here.
    Definitely agree as far as RS is concerned (it's been that way for decades). MOJO has a lot more cred in my eyes.