Thread: Honey West, featuring Ian McDonald, will release debut album on May 19

Honey West, featuring Ian McDonald, will release debut album on May 19

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-...ner-membe.html

Interesting... his last album was 18 years ago!!! ...This sounds like your basic rock 'n' roll band, but then Drivers eyes, which is excellent IMO, wasn't proggy either. I'm very curious to listen to this album since all the music was composed by Ian.... Anyway, I'm happy that he's still making music, and he looks very happy too

Well I'm glad too see Ian still into making music, even if it's music I'm not really interested in. And no sax or flute? Seeing him play guitar just seems funny to me. And even though his contribution to the original King Crimson is timeless, I believe in his heart of hearts that he's just really a rocker. Remember at the end of 1969 he left King Crimson saying that the music was too dark for him anyone to do something lighter. So although he is certainly a progressive rock pioneer in my opinion the music he helped create on the 1st King Crimson album overwhelmed and scared him. So if he wants to play rock and roll good for him. Mel Collins who started with the second King Crimson album seems to be a better fit especially in the new band now. Seems Mel is more into the progressive and improvisational side of the king. At any rate I hope Ian does well.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Anne Francis is happy wherever she is.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My daughter goes to NYU Tisch School. One day out of the blue, she texts me: "One of my teachers is in a band with Ian McDonald." I replied WHAT!?!?!. I had never mentioned this name. She only knows that Crim is my fave band. So I find out more details, and long story short, when they have some shows, her teacher says that he'll take me backstage to meet Ian.

old men doing rock, nothing new there.
    my interest is sparked!
    Ian got old

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I was thinking, wait a minute, didn't she die a couple years ago?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I was thinking, wait a minute, didn't she die a couple years ago?
    Unfortunately she did...died in 2011. I wonder what happened to Bruce??? I own a Bengal cat...not quite the same thing...but pretty close...LOL.

This looks cool. I found the Beatlemania theme very funny with the hot groupies chasing the grandpas. Those girls are probably the band members' granddaughters...

The music sounds like the Fleshtones, from the 80s, who I believe are still around as a group and look equally old!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Probably trading dirty limericks with Walter Pidgeon and Leslie Nielsen!

But yeah, that was my first thought, too, "they've named a band after that old spy TV show".

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The music sounds like the Fleshtones, from the 80s, who I believe are still around as a group and look equally old!
    Indeed. The Fleshtones are still around. Saw them twice recently with Los Straitjackets and once about 35 years ago. They are the most annoying band I've ever seen (all three times) but are great at their craft.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

With all respect, I don't think he's just a rocker. Ian's next venture, after ITKOTC, the McDonald & Giles album, was full prog. Also, it is known that McDonald regretted his decision of leaving Crimson. He was even going to rejoin the Crim for a tour after the release of Red. Then he was a short time with Fireballet, an american symphonic prog band. In the 2000s he toured with the 21CSB (after an unsuccesful attempt to reunite the original Crim). My point is: he's a very accomplished musician and he never lost his interest in prog, but his career is rather inconsistent and he's not a prolific composer, that's for sure! I think Honey West is the back to basics phase many musicians go into late in their careers, but not necessarily his thing. IMHO of course.

Old man of prog
    ouch

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Well I'm glad too see Ian still into making music, even if it's music I'm not really interested in. And no sax or flute?
    There's some baritone sax at the end of the video.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^^^ I remember an interview with Mick Jones regarding why Ian left Foreigner. Mick said the reason he was so excited about having Ian in the band was Ian's tremendous talents on saxes and flute as well as keyboards. But instead Ian wanted to be just another guitar player. Seems like maybe that is still true!

That being said, I just pre-ordered this, largely to support a venture with Ian in it. I am hoping it might make a good summer pop/rock car cd. Last summer my kids and I greatly enjoyed the Monkees' Good Times and we had it in the car probably through October or November. Hopefully this might be a similar hit.