Thread: Help With a Song Title

Help With a Song Title

I've had this earworm for days, now, and I don't know the title nor the group who recorded it; can't remember either. This is all I know:
    • I'm pretty sure it was a top 40 hit but definitely not top 10
    • I believe it was released in the mid '60s
    • It's an instrumental with the melody played by a horn section. Oh, and I think the piano is featured, as well. No guitars.

That's all I can recall but I'm sure with all the musically encyclopedic minds at this joint, someone's going to know what the hell I'm talking about.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Uhhhhh, no.

The song wasn't by Al Hirt or Herb Alpert or someone your parents would listen to. I'm pretty certain the song was recorded by a band.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Need. More. Info.

"Soulful Strut"?

or possibly "Grazing in the Grass"?

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Wasn't the theme from Exodus an instro hit in the 60s? If so, could be that.

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Wasn't the theme from Exodus an instro hit in the 60s? If so, could be that.
    Had a listen. Not it. Too many strings. Can't believe it was a hit.

It's Grazing in the Grass. Don't think I ever knew the title. Altho, the name Hugh Masekela sounds familiar.

I was wrong about it not being a top 10 hit. Apparently, it hit #1. I was also wrong that it was mid '60s. It was released in 1968; but I was close.

I did seem to recall there being a cowbell in it but thought my memory was failing me... obviously. lol

Thanks Mister Triscuits.

"Not something your parents listened to" but it's Hugh Masekela? You *do* realize he's right up there with Herb Alpert and Al Hirt, don't you?

Ah well. Glad you got your ear worm identified.

The cowbell is the defining feature of this piece, and would have given it away instantly. It also includes guitar (!). You could have also noted it was in 5/8.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You could have also noted it was in 5/8.
    No idea how you're counting that. It's 4/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No idea how you're counting that. It's 4/4.
    im counting it 4/4 too but it has some bizarre syncopation (and 'backwards' drum pattern) in it that makes it very cool and not sound 4/4

edit: lol - i can hear how it can be counted 5/8 now.......checked sheet music, it says "c" common......now im more confused lol
    Last edited by klothos; 04-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Not something your parents listened to" but it's Hugh Masekela? You *do* realize he's right up there with Herb Alpert and Al Hirt, don't you?
    No, I did not. I was 5 in 1968. And I heard it on the radio station "the kids listen to." Altho, now that I think about it, Herb Alpert was heard, too.

The cowbell is the defining feature of this piece, and would have given it away instantly.
    Yeah, well, like I said, my memory of it was sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    im counting it 4/4 too but it has some bizarre syncopation (and 'backwards' drum pattern) in it that makes it very cool and not sound 4/4
    It is very cool, and very African in the way the rhythms are layered. In the rhythm section you've got those dotted quarters in the guitar which sound like a hesitation, and contrast with the propulsive 16th note lick in the piano, while the drums are doing that syncopated thing with the backbeat on the "and" of 3. And on top of that the melody line is stretching and squeezing the time all over the place!

Wow, that mystery was certainly solved quickly. I'm glad to know the answer too, since I've heard this tune over the years and also had no idea who it was.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Our parents all used to get it on while listening to that. Just picture it...

So...too late for me to suggest “The Horse” by Cliff Nobles & Co.?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Our parents all used to get it on while listening to that. Just picture it...
    My parents never did that!

My parents always had the local “beautiful music” (read: Muzak) station running on the GE clock radio in their bedroom.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Lyndon Johnson had it piped into the White House. Of course, he was a former Muzak franchise owner.

Grazing In The Grass was also a big hit, vocal version by Friends Of Distinction.