Thread: Offshoots of the Enid

Offshoots of the Enid

followers of the enid have some interesting spin offs to investigate. there is oceanworld by autumn. this has nick magnus and robbie dobson on it. these two are some of many many musicians who have been in the enid. think might have set up this band after the enid. anyway though it is short it is very very good instrumental album should be more widely known.

then there is craft. this has ex-enid men in william gilmour and martin russell. very energetic. sounds a bit like elp but has dreamy piano piece at end reminding of robert john godfrey.

even more sprightly is whimwise by nick may who played guitar for a time in the enid. parping keyboards are just one of many things going on. need many patient listens to decide about this album.

also there is secret green by francis lickerish. album to wake the king clearly had lot of love and time given to it. has folk style with female voice. william gilmour of craft is on this giving it another connection with the enid.

what are views of these albums. are these men still active in music. are there other spin offs from the enid to listen to.

I've not heard these, but I'm always surprised that Steve Stewart didn't do anything at all musically after The Enid originally split in 1988. I know that he has engineered a lot of other people's music, but he was instrumental in The Enid and I don;t know why he never made another record after the split.

Have to admit to never really thinking much of that Craft album. I mean, how many "post-modern electric Philharmonic" ensembles do we need?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think Francis Lickerish has also an album called Far AND Forgot (or something close)

Secrete Green isn't bad, but a bit schmaltzy sometimes.

Didn't think much about Craft either, but I still have that LP somewhere...

The Drummer from Autumn was also with Hawkwind (for a few months)

Nik May of course was with some early Neo Prog bands like "Daga Band" and Tamarisk before the Enid

for me the enid is not a band for daytime listening. instead band for late evening. the francis lickerish albums sound better then for sure. they are sort of hybrid of the enid/steeleye span/renaissance. instrumental passages are best parts. sound very much like the enid of the nineteen seventies which is not surprising.

craft album is alright. reminds listener of elp and camel. each track is named after a star sign but only six there so looks like meant to be a double but not finished. like best two add-ons at end. but prefer album oceanworld as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I think Francis Lickerish has also an album called Far AND Forgot (or something close)

Secrete Green isn't bad, but a bit schmaltzy sometimes.

Didn't think much about Craft either, but I still have that LP somewhere...

The Drummer from Autumn was also with Hawkwind (for a few months)

Nik May of course was with some early Neo Prog bands like "Daga Band" and Tamarisk before the Enid
    Have you heard what Nick May did with his offshoot band,Whimwise? awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Have you heard what Nick May did with his offshoot band,Whimwise? awesome stuff.
    Boy, I'll say!
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

could be said that whimwise are definition of what prog should be. seen them live and they are very serious musos immersed in what they are doing which is trying to go forward. bought album after gig. looks like nick may did it all but the drums. to be honest find it very discordant but can see appeal.

another difficult album related to the enid is fall of hyperion. this is robert john godfrey solo album from just before the enid. dramatic piano playing but the singing doesnt work for me. had to take refuge in invicta by jp enid. what an album that is.

like album oceanworld but know very little about later work of nick magnus. seem to be quite a lot of albums. thoughts/recommendations would be useful.

I loved the Craft album! The Enid with Francis Lickerish and Stephen Stewart also great!

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    like album oceanworld but know very little about later work of nick magnus. seem to be quite a lot of albums. thoughts/recommendations would be useful.
    I only have Inhaling Green which is pretty good. It is mostly a nineties one-man-and-a-shedload-of-synthesizers album, though, with a couple of nods towards Vangelis and a cover of "Theme One", in addition to more normal progressive stuff. A few great melodies, and some slightly half-baked fusions of progressive and nineties electronica on the long title track. His other albums seem to be more song based and conventionally progressive, but I wasn't impressed enough with the individual songs I heard at the time to make purchases.

I enjoyed Lickerish's two releases (Secret Green and Far), as a sort of more conventionally orchestral, vocal-take on The Enid sound. And of course, right around the same The Enid started making more vocal-oriented material.

Fall of Hyperion to me is very embryonic version of The Enid. You can hear the basis of Godfrey's melodic style and his Romantic-influenced keyboard-playing. What you don't hear is the rock influence, including the rhythm section. Hence it sounds more like an older art and popular song material than the later band material, where there are more diverse elements on offer (though the eighties vocal material brings that melodic and harmonic vibe more prominent again).

Quote Originally Posted by Kretz View Post
    I loved the Craft album! The Enid with Francis Lickerish and Stephen Stewart also great!
    I kept telling fans my fave song and the first I ever heard was Punch and Judy Man. Craft was brought up about 20 times before I finally bought it.Love Craft.

One more strong recommendation for Craft, a very nice record. If you like (early) Enid and instrumental keyboard-oriented music you won't be disappointed. The two bonus tracks are excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I only have Inhaling Green which is pretty good. It is mostly a nineties one-man-and-a-shedload-of-synthesizers album, though, with a couple of nods towards Vangelis and a cover of "Theme One", in addition to more normal progressive stuff. A few great melodies, and some slightly half-baked fusions of progressive and nineties electronica on the long title track. His other albums seem to be more song based and conventionally progressive, but I wasn't impressed enough with the individual songs I heard at the time to make purchases.

I enjoyed Lickerish's two releases (Secret Green and Far), as a sort of more conventionally orchestral, vocal-take on The Enid sound. And of course, right around the same The Enid started making more vocal-oriented material.

Fall of Hyperion to me is very embryonic version of The Enid. You can hear the basis of Godfrey's melodic style and his Romantic-influenced keyboard-playing. What you don't hear is the rock influence, including the rhythm section. Hence it sounds more like an older art and popular song material than the later band material, where there are more diverse elements on offer (though the eighties vocal material brings that melodic and harmonic vibe more prominent again).
    your observations are very interesting particularly what you say about the fall of hyperion. had not seen it that way at all. perhaps godfrey should have returned to this album when he put out his art of melody album a few years ago by reworking one or two of the pieces. would have liked to hear them without the singing.

have been listening to second lickerish album quietly late in evening. even beginning to like the singing. instrumental passages are very good.