Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miriodor & Cheer-Accident New Releases available on Wayside

I had them for a bit over a week now, and have spun them both twice. I liked the Cheer Accident on first listen, and liked it even more on the second spin. I think their last three have all been winners, and I'm definitely going to enjoy this one.

I sort of agree about the Miriodor not making a "major impact." But I certainly liked it. I think this one needs closer attention and will unfold more over time and with repeated listens. So I'm still very optimistic about this one.

Good stuff.

Bill

I'll just have to say that oh, boy - this Cheer-Accident release surely teams up as something truly special. My faves hitherto are Enduring the American Dream, Introducing Lemon and Fear Draws Misfortune, but I can not recall ANY of those titles so perfectly exposing the band's unspeakably emotional - and thus human - fusion of advanced rock experimentalism and pop sensibilities. The lengthy opening track is a story of its own, but what really got to me was that closing tune, "Hymn"; this recaptures the spirit of Thymme Jones' input on the Stopped Clocks record (offspin duo work) in a scent of intense melancholy, calculated brilliance and just, well, silly.

I used to perceive them as "post-modern", but now I realize that theirs is not an approach of a "cause" but of a "happening". Seeing as they socialize (and play) with the likes of Bobby Conn, Jim O'Rourke and Sam Prekop, one could only wish the audiences of these artists to somehow catch on. Cheer-Accident are absolutely the Hatfield of the North of today - and from Chicago nonetheless.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'll just have to say that oh, boy - this Cheer-Accident release surely teams up as something truly special. My faves hitherto are Enduring the American Dream, Introducing Lemon and Fear Draws Misfortune, but I can not recall ANY of those titles so perfectly exposing the band's unspeakably emotional - and thus human - fusion of advanced rock experimentalism and pop sensibilities. The lengthy opening track is a story of its own, but what really got to me was that closing tune, "Hymn"; this recaptures the spirit of Thymme Jones' input on the Stopped Clocks record (offspin duo work) in a scent of intense melancholy, calculated brilliance and just, well, silly.

I used to perceive them as "post-modern", but now I realize that theirs is not an approach of a "cause" but of a "happening". Seeing as they socialize (and play) with the likes of Bobby Conn, Jim O'Rourke and Sam Prekop, one could only wish the audiences of these artists to somehow catch on. Cheer-Accident are absolutely the Hatfield of the North of today - and from Chicago nonetheless.
    I couldnt have said it better... in fact - I couldnt have said this at all. haha. It took me a few rounds to really hear the splendor... having heard a few tracks before this release - they threw me off - but the context inside this album just made it all the more sweet.

They are touring / playing outside of Chicago for the 1st time in a long time - go see them!

June 16 - Dreamland - 810 East Market St - Louisville, KY

June 17 - The Pilot Light - 106 E. Jackson Ave - Knoxville, TN

June 20 - Infinite Room - 1644 Main St - Columbia, SC

June 21 - Nightlight - 405 1/2 West Rosemary St - Chapel Hill, NC

June 22 - tba

June 23 - Trans-Pecos - 9-15 Wyckoff Ave - Queens, NY 11385

June 24 - Rhizome - 6950 Maple St NW - Washington, DC

July 29 - Shlafly Tap - 2100 Locust St - St Louis, MO [with Yowie]

July 30 - Record Bar - 1520 Grand Blvd - Kansas City, MO [with Free Salamander Exhibit]

July 31 - Beat Kitchen - 2100 W. Belmont Ave - Chicago, IL 60618 [with Free Salamander Exhibit!]

August 1 - Radio Radio - 1119 E Prospect - Indianapolis, IN [with Free Salamander Exhibit]

September 15 - Rock In Opposition Festival - Cap D'ecouverte - Le Garric 81450, France

September 16 - tba - Lyon, France

September 17 - tba - France

September 19 - Mora Mora - Orleans, France

September 20 - tba - Metz, France

September 22 - Freakshow Art Rock Festival - Würzburg, Germany [with Poil and Le Silo]

September 23 - OFF - Offenburgerstrasse 59 - Basel, Switzerland
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm seriously considering going to this year's RIO fest to catch them this year (although usually work gets in the way in September/October). I need to see this band and, if possible, have a conversation with Mr. Jones.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm seriously considering going to this year's RIO fest to catch them this year (although usually work gets in the way in September/October). I need to see this band and, if possible, have a conversation with Mr. Jones.
    SS - they aren't going to do this forever. If you want to see them, you should go; opportunities to see them aren't so common any more and they are operating under the same 'issues' that affect everyone performing fringe music.

I hope you can go. Sorry I won't meet you there this year, sadly for me.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

...this recaptures the spirit of Thymme Jones' input on the Stopped Clocks record (offspin duo work) in a scent of intense melancholy, calculated brilliance and just, well, silly.
    That Stopped Clocks album is really splendid and really kinda over-looked by C-A fans.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Going to see them in Chicago, along with Free Salamander Exhibit. Beyond stoked!!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Going to see them in Chicago, along with Free Salamander Exhibit.
    My neurotic MILF neighbour upstairs actually just checked in to communicate her deep love for FSE!

^^ BAHAHAH!!!!

neil