Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miriodor & Cheer-Accident New Releases available on Wayside

And apparently the second Bubblemath album is finally done - about a decade late - and will be released on Cuneiform at the same time.

^ Great fit for both band and label, IMO. Very peculiar band; like Devo, Fishbone and Echolyn teaming up with Thank You Scientist. "Be Together" from their debut remains a sort of micro-underground schlager in these parts. I've even heard it played in a bar in Barcelona. Oddballsy.

Interesting days; Bubblemath on Cunei and Discipline on TLE.

Soon Lightning Bolt will be recording for K-Scope. Like.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Interesting days; Bubblemath on Cunei and Discipline on TLE.
    And Bent Knee on InsideOut!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Bubblemath sound like five bands arguing. Although occasionally one will get the upper hand and out-shout the others, they spend most of the time interrupting one another, and sometimes all yelling at once. The result simultaneously recalls lots of different things, and nothing and no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    And Bent Knee on InsideOut!
    Well, at least they keep trying!

Next we'll have Shadow Gallery on Tzadik.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Next we'll have Shadow Gallery on Tzadik.

This made me laugh in real life actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Bubblemath sound like five bands arguing. Although occasionally one will get the upper hand and out-shout the others, they spend most of the time interrupting one another, and sometimes all yelling at once. The result simultaneously recalls lots of different things, and nothing and no one else.
    Sounds right up my street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Both these lovelies arrived over the weekend, but I only started to give Cheer-Accident some attention this morning. Wow...I'm really liking this so far.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

"Be Together" from their debut remains a sort of micro-underground schlager in these parts. I've even heard it played in a bar in Barcelona.
    is that really true?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

New C-A - hmmm. Gonna keep playing it - lots to like - some not so much. A bit disappointed at first... but I think it needs more spins and attention. Doesnt help that some of it was a download from the website sub. The new TP will not be removed from the top slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    is that really true?
    100% true! We're talking of a squatter kinda den though, channelling some local or regional radio station which also played Don Cab, Pinback, Zu and more 'less-known' noise/math/avant/somewhat-prog stuff. This was in April 2013. I was still surprised on hearing Bubble there, but then again I've experienced even more bizarre incidents of related sort earlier.

I ordered both albums today.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

New Miriodor is SMOKIN off the charts fantastic. One of their finest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought both but started with Miriodor

This is one of their best. It usually takes me a few spins - this one was awesome from the first

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    New C-A - hmmm. Gonna keep playing it - lots to like - some not so much.
    The story of each and every damn C-A album except for possibly FDM, I think.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Miriodor album seems particularly strong
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The story of each and every damn C-A album except for possibly FDM, I think.
    I disagree only in that they have always purposefully cast a very, very wide net. That's just how they roll. That's what they are. Anything else wouldn't be C-A.

and sometimes the things I really don't like, I end up liking. Curse them.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    and sometimes the things I really don't like, I end up liking. Curse them.
    That's the story of Cheer-Accident:

First they give you the Camphor Phenique - an' they give it to ya straight!
    And then they give you the Warm Sitz-Bath - an' they give it to ya straight-no-chaser!.....

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    That's the story of Cheer-Accident:

First they give you the Camphor Phenique - an' they give it to ya straight!
    And then they give you the Warm Sitz-Bath - an' they give it to ya straight-no-chaser!.....
    Precisely! That'd be the day - when Steve ends up mofo-digging "Camp o' Physique"!

I'm not saying there's much 'bad' music going on with C-A, I'm saying their albums aren't usually anywhere near "stylistically consistent" and that yeah, sure, it's profoundly deliberate. BUT! Additionally there's that tendency to be provocative in these choices and priorities, as when opening a double album (remember them?) With an 8-minute track called "Vacuum" essentially consisting of a band member kicking on and off an electric cleaner. I'd like to think a trait like this somehow transcends stylistic diversity.

Precisely! That'd be the day - when Steve ends up mofo-digging "Camp o' Physique"!
    Is it just me or is that the Waitsiest non Tom Waits song ever?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Is it just me or is that the Waitsiest non Tom Waits song ever?
    And just like him, they manage to infuse even the spoofiest of instrumental auras with a scent of melancholy - here by activating those trumpet double harmonies. I actually get a kick from that song precisely due to that antagonist flang.

Ah. You know the story.

Well, actually now I do mofo-dig that song, if only because of the story and hi-story and because they seem to have made it a very specific point that if I am in the audience, then they play that song; I've never seen them NOT play that song!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

BUT! Additionally there's that tendency to be provocative in these choices and priorities, as when opening a double album (remember them?) With an 8-minute track called "Vacuum" essentially consisting of a band member kicking on and off an electric cleaner. I'd like to think a trait like this somehow transcends stylistic diversity.
    I can see not wanting to hear that.
    I can see not wanting to be the guy to release that.
    Etc.

But there is something very brave and cool about a determination to actually do something like that. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I just received new Miriodor and Cheer-Accident today. Miriodor did not do major impact on the first listen but Cheer-Accident... wow! Just brilliant! It clicked immediately for my! I am surprised if Putting Off Death does not feature quite high on my 2017 finest albums list.