Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Anna Själv Tredje - Tussilago Fanfara

FEATURED ALBUM: Anna Själv Tredje - Tussilago Fanfara

This is my favorite hard to pronounce Swedish album from 1977.

Review from ProgArchives:
    Striking photomontage cover picture set up the correct moods for the hallucinogenic dark visions of this album titled as "Coltsfoot", the fragile yellow flower announcing with its appearance the start of spring at the northern hemispheres". The supplementary cover text I understood stating "?crawling in the cosmic twilight zone with Anna Själv Tredje", the group name possibly referring to the mother of Virgin Mary. Though the inspiration for this solitary album of the Swedish duo is drawn from obvious sources, in my opinion these fellows have pleasantly focused to the early 1970's sound heritages of Berlin krautrockers, allowing the musty analogue solutions prevail at the time of recording along with the creations of Klaus Schulze. As for example I personally felt that during this time Tangerine Dream for example had cleared their own cosmic sound towards cleaner abstractions of "Stratosfear", further from their archaic pre-"Rubycon" sounds, and also Ash Ra Tempel's psychedelic organic tones had long ago dissolved as more sophisticated ambient constructions of Ashra.

On the start of the album, really dark electronic cosmic sounds are evocated, offering vision to vast sights "Sphagnum Bog"'s landscapes, populated by hollow calls and atonal distant crashes. Clearer sounding synthesizers with eerie motives are introduced, and later joined by sequenced looping, which start to dominate the composition along, with layers of keyboard structures. These interacting aural forms venture calmly with key changes, taking shapes with very affecting harmonic dramatics. My own favorite piece, "Incomes Out of Time" or something such, arrives from oppressing wall of whispers and spacey winds, blowing the music experience towards determined sequencer web and baroque-oriented fast keyboard sounds, these caressed by supporting ethereal electronic sounds. Long but minimal composition is composed brilliantly from these elements, allowing each layer to linger without hurry on the song. A change occurs in the middle of the tracks, as luminous electric guitar appears over distantly blowing huge gales, quiet tribal drum looping and persistently continuing whispers, which finally consume the song's flame.

The B-side of the album starts spinning the longest aural journey of the record, "Barbaric Sunday". It shimmers with minimalist network of both programmed and manually operated sounds, allowing a state of religious-resembling experience being borne. After a long contemplation the tension is tightened by focusing to an intensive synth theme strengthened with waves or drum cymbal plates, this reminding like electronic dreams of some dramatic sequences from early Pink Floyd or Ash Ra Tempel recordings. On the last phase, more focused devotions towards hypnotic minimalism are practiced, building as a whole also a very fine song experience. Last track's name possibly refers to technical permittivities of materials, on the context maybe to electronic devices or magnetic fields. This conclusion of the album is also most organic of the four songs, appreciating several layers of Mikael Bojen's electric guitar explorations upon calm and steady tom beating.

In the aftermath of last reverb echoes of the album, I would claim that even if the record might not be considered musically very innovative due comparison to the German electronic kraut classics which it resembles, it is still a very affecting disc from its own merits, and within this musical school of style. Thus I would recommend it warmly for anybody appreciating meditative vintage electronix. - Eetu Pellonpaa

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Superb album mixing space rock and Berlin School electronic. Fortunately I have the original LP as sadly no CD exists.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Superb album mixing space rock and Berlin School electronic. Fortunately I have the original LP as sadly no CD exists.
    Wasn't Lion going to reissue this a few years ago? I wonder why it never materialised.

Banned
    Great, ethereal album glowing with some fine deep analogue atmospheres. Early Ashra Temple fans I think will really like this. Not for fans of high-energy heavy sequencer-riff-era Tangerine Dream.

This is a great album. While the German/Berlin School comparisons are apt, it's no clone, and the drone rock towards the end is closer to their countrymen earlier in the decade than anything from Germany.

Oddly enough one of the members of the duo quickly moved on to post-punk and 80s pop groups. I guess somehow this material didn't sell .

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Wasn't Lion going to reissue this a few years ago? I wonder why it never materialised.
    Hi Bas - Yea, it was going to be on Subliminal Sounds. Not sure what happened there. It was by word of mouth, never officially announced. Oh well, hopefully the project isn't dead!

Well, the band name is hard to pronounce (and this coming from someone who’s ¼ Swedish), but not the album. It’s the Latin name of the herb known as coltsfoot (though misspelled, it should be Tussilago farfara. Perhaps it’s a play on the word “fanfare”?).

I only heard this once, but I recalled it having something of a Klaus Schulze vibe, unusual for a Swedish disc.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Hi!.
    Good Call, a favorite here!.

Bought it as a second hand LP here in Costa Rica from this guy that had a huge collection of Krautrock/Electronic -"Kosmische musik".

Favorite song: "Den Barbariska Söndagen".

"Snöfall och daggyra ur daggfall och snöyra" is an unreleased song included in the double compilation album of "Progg" music -Tonkraft 1977-1978: Levande musik från Sverige (1980).-

As mentioned in the review and in various posts, there are some obvious influences, but, IMO, the most important-principal is by Terry Riley´s minimalist music and his groundbreaking album "Rainbow In Curved Air" (1967/1969)!. (IMO of course!!)

His music was key in the development of the first groups of the "Progg" movement: a left-wing and anti-commercial musical movement in Sweden that began in the late 1960s and became more widespread in the 1970s; ... a before and an after IMO.-

Probably, a 100%, that, if an album like "Tussilago Fanfara" had been published outside of Sweden through German labels like "Ohr" "Brain" or "Sky Records", certainly would not have happened so unnoticed .
    Last edited by TCC; 04-16-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post

Oddly enough one of the members of the duo quickly moved on to post-punk and 80s pop groups. I guess somehow this material didn't sell .
    Are you talking about Ingemar Ljungström?

After Anna Själv Tredje, he started Cosmic Overdose together with Dan Söderqvist (from Älgarnas Trädgård)
    Cosmic Overdose transformed into Twice A Man when they toured england.

Cosmic Overdose - Dada Koko (1980)

Twice A Man (1988)

Twice A Man (2016)

In its DAY, this was a widely known and widely liked album in collector/underground/progressive type circles. In early Wayside days, we sold tons of this one.

I think its 'obscurity', if you think it's obscure, has more to do with the fact that it never received any kind of digital release or ANY vinyl reissue, which essentially means it's a lost artifact.

I don't think it's because it's Swedish instead of German. I think it's because it has been unavailable for 30 years. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    In its DAY, this was a widely known and widely liked album in collector/underground/progressive type circles.
    Sayin' quite a lot that TCC (above) got it in his native Costa Rica, I suppose!

I kept a CD-R of this at one time, but I don't know where the hell it went. I liked it well enough, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Sayin' quite a lot that TCC (above) got it in his native Costa Rica, I suppose!

The story was like this, more or less:
    This guy was the son of the Cultural Aggregate of the embassy of Spain here in Costa Rica around 1978-1982 I think; he traveled a lot and has this huge collection of jazz, prog and classical; so, when it came the time to leave the country, he began selling part of it and ... it was the right time for me ... lucky me!

36 years and counting, we still maintain contact!
    Last edited by TCC; 04-16-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    In its DAY, this was a widely known and widely liked album in collector/underground/progressive type circles. In early Wayside days, we sold tons of this one.

I think its 'obscurity', if you think it's obscure, has more to do with the fact that it never received any kind of digital release or ANY vinyl reissue, which essentially means it's a lost artifact.

I don't think it's because it's Swedish instead of German. I think it's because it has been unavailable for 30 years. IMO.
    Thanks Steve for the info!.
    Have to agree w/you too!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Hi Bas - Yea, it was going to be on Subliminal Sounds. Not sure what happened there. It was by word of mouth, never officially announced. Oh well, hopefully the project isn't dead!
    From what I've learned a band member named Karl Gasleben refused its release.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Thanks Steve for the info!.
    Have to agree w/you too!.
    Thank you!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    aka Ingemar Ljungström. Huh. I wonder what that the issue is? Anyway, that's a bummer. Wonder if he's the reason the Ragnarok's Fata Morgana and 3 Signs not receiving a reissue either.

A curious mix from a land that doesn't produce much in the way of electronic music. "Mossen" combines elements of the Berlin School and horror/soundtrack-synth sounds for an overall chilling, uniquely Scandinavian effect. "Ankomster Utanför Tiden" reflects Heldon with its Pinhas-like guitar layers — I also hear what sounds like primitive, toy-organ work in places, ala Wapassou. The second half is more German-like in style. "Den Barbariska Söndagen" is a lengthy exercise in Phaedra/Stratosfear-style atmospherics, while "Tusen år & Sju Timmar" echoes Ash Ra Temple with its Göttsching-like guitar figures. Good stuff.

This was one of the first "obscure" LP-only albums that I received back in my CDR-trading days. I guess it goes to show that, while never available on CD, it was not really all that obscure in the late 1990s and was present in many respectable progressive music collections.

Oddly enough, I clearly remember hating it first time I heard it. Seems I was not prepared for the chilly Nordic progressive electronica of Anna Sjalv Tredje at the tender age of 15 years! Thankfully, CD-Rs are not something you can sell, so it's been collecting dust on my shelves for a few years until I decided to revisit it, after learning to appreciate different kinds of krautrock and experimental Swedish music a-la Arbete och Fritid or Archimedes Badkar. Then it finally clicked, and while I still don't find myself getting back to it very often, it's certainly a good album and something I like to hear when in the mood for it.

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti
    Are you talking about Ingemar Ljungström?

After Anna Själv Tredje, he started Cosmic Overdose together with Dan Söderqvist (from Älgarnas Trädgård)
    Cosmic Overdose transformed into Twice A Man when they toured england.
    At the risk of losing my prog credentials, I'd say I actually prefer select Cosmic Overdose tracks to the bulk of Tussilago Fanfara. And Twice A Man played some good music too, though I only had a couple albums from their massive discography. They were certainly influenced by synth pop, which is normally not my music of choice, but they approached it from an ambient / experimental flank and usually kept it fairly challenging for me to stay interested throughout.

I bought this from Wayside circa 1982
    Love this album

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    meaning (according to the copyright laws) that we have to wait 70 years after his death before a legit reissue can be made.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I have Dada-Koko. It’s been a long while since I listened to it last. I probably should correct it.

aka Ingemar Ljungström. Huh. I wonder what that the issue is? Anyway, that's a bummer. Wonder if he's the reason the Ragnarok's Fata Morgana and 3 Signs not receiving a reissue either.
    Is this another case of “I’m embarrassed by my hippie past” à la Ralf Hutter? More’s the pity. Clinging to my vinyl copy of Fata Morgana with a death grip, then. I like the first two Ragnarök albums fine, but FM is something really different, a sudden left turn into Crimsonic territory with some “world music” elements. Not really like anything else in my collection, and all the more special because of it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yea, I would guess you're probably right about that Mike. The first Kraftwerk not being reissued (legit) has to rank as one of the biggest misses ever. I'm sure labels everywhere are salivating to reissue it in the format-du-jour (red cone vinyl splash!).

Yep - hang onto Fata Morgana. I'm not letting my copy go either.

What has Ingemar Ljungström got to do with Ragnaröks album Fata Morgana?
    From what I remember he had left the group by then.
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar...(Swedish_band))

I do not think the issue has anything to do with previous members possible reluctance to re-release some of their old stuff. I know for a fact that the recent CD-box of old Cosmic Overdose mtrl was a struggle to get done, mostly because that the record company was not so keen on the idea.
    And the record company is Silence!

One of my faves , a few years ago I spun this CDR constantly ,best played at dusk on a winter or fall evening.I also heard that a member stopped the release ,true or not sucks another tape rots away In the Closet not being used.