Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fleetwood Mac Re-issues

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Those demos are actually pretty killer. As much as I like Lindsey Buckingham and think he's a master song craftsman, he did tend to get a little too obsessive and heavy-handed with production in the '80s. I loved both the Mirage album and Tango in the Night but both sound so dated now production wise.

I too will second to those who have stated that Lindsey Buckingham's solo album in the '90s, Out of the Cradle, is his masterpiece. One of the best sounding albums I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Any Fleetwood Mac fans here? The band have been re-releasing their albums in a deluxe format over the last few years. Although, I know there are big box set versions of some of them, I have been buying the smaller purchase 2 disc versions. More recently, I bought the new 2 disc versions of "Mirage" and "Tango In The Night." These albums are really not my favorite era for them but I have been enjoying them, nonetheless. The bonus tracks are pretty good. They are a collection of B sides, demos, alternate versions, and live out takes, depending on the release. So has anyone else been buying them and what are their thoughts?

Library Jon
    I've picked all up in high res, and am enjoying immensely...Buckingham was/is a terrific producer, and even weaker albums like Mirage have their charms. I've also picked up everything up from Mystery to Me onward as the mid-period Mac also has it's appeal. I just wish the one album not out in high res that I want - Then Play On - has yet to be released.

The demos, bonus tracks, live versions etc from the Buckingham/Nicks era is, for those who love process as I do, great stuff. Unlike the Zeppelin alternates, here you really do get to hear versions with significant differences. Plus the live shows kick ass....especiallally Buckingham, who is a fine guitarist .... better than I ever previously credited him. So I've picked up his solo albums, and they're all strong, albeit less eminently accessible as Mac.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I've picked all up in high res, and am enjoying immensely...Buckingham was/is a terrific producer, and even weaker albums like Mirage have their charms. I've also picked up everything up from Mystery to Me onward as the mid-period Mac also has it's appeal. I just wish the one album not out in high res that I want - Then Play On - has yet to be released.

The demos, bonus tracks, live versions etc from the Buckingham/Nicks era is, for those who love process as I do, great stuff. Unlike the Zeppelin alternates, here you really do get to hear versions with significant differences. Plus the live shows kick ass....especiallally Buckingham, who is a fine guitarist .... better than I ever previously credited him. So I've picked up his solo albums, and they're all strong, albeit less eminently accessible as Mac.
    Hi!.
    As you John, I think that Lindsey Buckingham is an underrated guitarist/musician/composer ... l o v e him!.
    Just wanted to let you know!!.
    Pura vida!
    Last edited by TCC; 04-20-2017 at 01:23 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

For me, the three best Lindsey solo albums are Gift of Screws, Seeds We Sow, and Out of the Cradle. There are hooks and guitar licks on these albums that you'll never get out of your head

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think Lindsey's a genuine hero. Here's my pick from his solo stuff:

Listen particularly from 1:50. Lyrics and music are astounding.

For me Tusk is the ultimate FM album - and the big box is a gem.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Hmmmm. Should we start a Lindsey Buckingham thread? This has taken a turn away from LibraryJon's original intention. I'm up for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Ever get the 1992 solo album from Lindsey Buckingham, Out Of The Cradle? It is a smooth continuation/transition from Tango In The Night. It is my favorite solo album of his. Check it out!
    “From The Cradle” was the album that actually got me into Fleetwood Mac. When I was in high school Fleetwood Mac were everywhere, and on the radio so much it was impossible to avoid. For the most part I never gave them the time of day. There were a couple of songs I liked ok, but never even considered purchasing an album. Then in the mid-90’s a buddy of mine turned me on to “From The Cradle” and I was blown away. I had no clue the talent that Buckingham had. I then went back and explored more Fleetwood Mac (all eras) and found that there was a ton of great quality stuff there. I got to see Buckingham do a solo show in a small theater a few years ago and I can honestly say it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Amazing stuff.

As for the original posters question. I have re-issue versions of “Then Play On”, “Rumors”, and “Tusk” and think they are all really well done.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'll bring it up again (since I did last time there was an FM thread) that Nicks was all for a tour with Christine back in the fold, but not for releasing another album of new FM material, just because she doesn't believe anyone buys albums anymore. She is however, all for reissuing (for the first time ever on CD) the Buckingham Nicks album, but Buckingham is the one who nixes that idea.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Wish they would reissue the Buckingham/Nicks album.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'll bring it up again (since I did last time there was an FM thread) that Nicks was all for a tour with Christine back in the fold, but not for releasing another album of new FM material, just because she doesn't believe anyone buys albums anymore. She is however, all for reissuing (for the first time ever on CD) the Buckingham Nicks album, but Buckingham is the one who nixes that idea.
    A new album by these five would have done very well IMHO, if the promo was right. It would have been the first all-new album by this line-up for around 30 years. You have to have a 'hook' to sell albums by older artists now (typically a comeback after a long lay-off), and that's a pretty big hook.

By contrast I don't think the world is waiting for another Stevie Nicks solo release. I don't think the two are really comparable, if she's somehow extrapolating how her more recent solo albums haven't set the world alight.

i thought there was going to be a new Fleetwood Mac CD but this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindsey-Bucki...f_rd_i=desktop

i guess they couldn't wait for Stevie anymore.....

When shopping today for National Record Store Day, I saw that they were selling a limited edition Stevie Nicks vinyl with live out takes and demos. Anyone else see that?

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You mean the Peter Green era albums? Yeah, I should have more of those. I have one of the Boston Tea Party discs, never got around to getting the other two or any of the studio records. Awhile back, I remember looking at the early Fleetwood Mac stuff on Amazon, and I think it was one of those ones where I got confused about which editions I should buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Some of those albums have been reissued multiple times, and some of the reissues are better than others and it's hard to reckon which ones to get.

Yup, that part is their discography is a real mess, IMHO.

The only Mac album that I find awesome (all eras included) Then Play On is confusing, because there were two versions depending on which sides of the pond you were.
    The only other Mac album I owned was the Chicago thingie (I owned the blue car door album) and even that is a mess.

Soooo, I had to turn to a compilation to get the tracks I wanted and finally settled on this one (below), but even with that set list, it goes weird/fucked-up in the last two tracks
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...fleetwood_mac/

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    For me, Fleetwood Mac started when Buckingham/Nicks joined the band.
    That's the Soap Opera era

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I really like some of the albums from the "lost" years like "Future Games", " Mystery To Me", "Heroes Are Hard To Find", though the latter has very odd production.
    Not sure this "lost years" is a nice description to the band's life.
    Especially that it should be broken into two different line-ups

I tried a few times the four Kirwan and Spencer albums (so that's until Bare Trees), but always failed to find anything that moved me
    And I also tried the four Welch-Weston albums (from Penguin to Heroes), but that's AOR stuff avant-la-lettre, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I think Lindsey's a genuine hero.
    For me Tusk is the ultimate FM album - and the big box is a gem.

Tusk and/or Rumours followed closely by Fleetwood Mac !.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    For me, the three best Lindsey solo albums are Gift of Screws, Seeds We Sow, and Out of the Cradle. There are hooks and guitar licks on these albums that you'll never get out of your head
    Hello Jerjo and Oreb.
    Have to be honest: I don't have any of his solo works, I'm not familiar with it!

Thanks for the recommendations!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Wish they would reissue the Buckingham/Nicks album.
    You could try https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buckingham-Nicks/dp/B01N0UY64R which contains all those bonus-tracks, including Rhiannon (Live).
    But yeah, Big Pink might be not the label you like.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hi!.
    As you John, I think that Lindsey Buckingham is an underrated guitarist/musician/composer ... l o v e him!.
    Just wanted to let you know!!.
    Pura vida!
    Happy to hear! 👏👏👏👏
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer