Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable recommendations

Turntable recommendations

So here's the deal: I've been using my old man's (rest his soul) Technics for a while, but its time to get a new setup. I'm really out of the loop, but I guess I'm going to be checking out Rega, VPI, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, and whatever else comes recommended my way. Looking to spend no more than $800 at the very top end, but wouldn't mind less than that (full setup including cartridge).

I'm going to be watching some Michael Fremer videos and reading his stuff, but any insight is very welcome. Cheers.

BTW, I have Rotel electronics (integrated amp, CD player, B&W DM 602 Series 2 Loudspeakers (bi-wired), some interconnect that I can't remember the name of

I’ve heard very nice things about Rega. Get direct drive, for sure.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’ve heard very nice things about Rega. Get direct drive, for sure.
    Rega is more specialized in (high end) belt drive where you can (and have to) change manually between 45 and 33, which I find a bit annoying.The P3 is one of the cheapest high end turn table about 800 Euros. The reviews are good. The cartridges are about 200 Euros. Clearaudio Concept has very good reviews but is more expensive about 1300 Euros.
    I had a problem with the motor of my old direct drive Dual and by luck I found last week a similar model for the price of a CD, which works perfect so far and I can find Ortofon cartridges for about 40 Euros
    You can find some good turn tables for really good prices on the net. I prefer so to verify and pick up the material myself so.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Don't have one myself (my next one if and when I do), but I've heard good things about U-Turn turntables made in Woburn, Mass., just north of Boston. https://uturnaudio.com/collections/all
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Don't have one myself (my next one if and when I do), but I've heard good things about U-Turn turntables made in Woburn, Mass., just north of Boston. https://uturnaudio.com/collections/all
    I've read some reviews on the U-Turns. Speed stability is slightly below tables in the same price range.
    Cartridge installation is very crucial if you want high end performance. If I had your budget and was willing to go with a manual table, I'd go with one of the Pro-Ject 1Expression with either the Sumiko Pearl or Ortofon 2M Blue pre-installed.

Check out Jerry Haskin's Needle Doctor.
    http://www.needledoctor.com/

Thanks so far guys.

I'm very happy with this new Audio Technica(direct drive).
    http://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp5/review
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Pro-ject turntables, Austria today one of the largest producers of turntables in the world - for any purse, there is one, and they are good!

http://project-audio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Pro-ject turntables, Austria today one of the largest producers of turntables in the world - for any purse, there is one, and they are good!

http://project-audio.com/
    Pro-Ject Carbon is definitely in the running and will be auditioned!

For your price range, I cannot recommend more highly the Pioneer PLX-1000. It retails for $700 and is spectacular.

Project Carbon debut.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Rega is more specialized in (high end) belt drive where you can (and have to) change manually between 45 and 33, which I find a bit annoying.The P3 is one of the cheapest high end turn table about 800 Euros. The reviews are good. The cartridges are about 200 Euros. Clearaudio Concept has very good reviews but is more expensive about 1300 Euros.
    I had a problem with the motor of my old direct drive Dual and by luck I found last week a similar model for the price of a CD, which works perfect so far and I can find Ortofon cartridges for about 40 Euros
    You can find some good turn tables for really good prices on the net. I prefer so to verify and pick up the material myself so.
    I've had a P3 for over 15 years now and I'm still very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I've read some reviews on the U-Turns. Speed stability is slightly below tables in the same price range.
    Cartridge installation is very crucial if you want high end performance. If I had your budget and was willing to go with a manual table, I'd go with one of the Pro-Ject 1Expression with either the Sumiko Pearl or Ortofon 2M Blue pre-installed.

Check out Jerry Haskin's Needle Doctor.
    http://www.needledoctor.com/
    Preach. Enough said.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I hear very good things about Pro-Ject as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What about decent turntables + cartridges for US$500 or less? Is it possible?

I have a Music Hall MMF-5.1 SE that I'm quit pleased with. Although it is a little above your stated price range, I'm certain they offer something comparable in your range.

I like it because overall it's a very quiet table; it does a good job of absorbing/displacing vibration and other interference. The Ortofon Mojo cartridge that came with it matches well with the table, my speakers/amplification and the music I typically listen to.

I had a Rega P1 after my trusty old Denon table gave up the ghost. I wasn't in love with the Rega; I probably should've gotten one of their better models.

As a previous owner of Pro-Ject Planar and current of Perspex SB (carbon-fibred tone arm modified) I'm recommending the company.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    That depends on what you are looking for.
    I have a Audio-Technica ATLP120. These only come as USB switchable. I was able to get one as a new "open box" unit. The cartridge that comes with it is mediocre at best. I installed a Ortofon 2MBlue cartridge and also bypassed the built-in preamp. This was not an easy project. I replaced it with a ART USB Phono Plus. This ended up being close to 500.00
    The drawback is it is completely manual, and you can't install one of the units that lift the tonearm at the end of the record.
    The sound quality is very good though.

For my bedroom system, I found a used Technics SL-QX300 in excellent condition. It's automatic with a p-mount tonearm. I paid about 150.00 including shipping. I replaced the original Technics p-mount cartridge with a AT311EP. I was very pleased with the sound quality. I use a ART DJPre II phono preamp for this one. The AT cartrige was about 35.00, and the preamp was about 60.00.
    I also made sure I bought a good stylus cleaner and a carbon fiber record cleaning brush. I am extremely pleased with this setup.

If you purchase on eBay, look for ads that include a video of the unit. One of the major issues with older used turntables is degradation of the rubber feet. While mine came with a reasonable dustcover, I found one of the old stereo stands with the glass door and a lift up top at Goodwill for about 15.00.

Whatever you purchase, it is important that the table is properly isolated from vibration, including from the speakers.

https://www.soundstagedirect.com/tho...07sbltgygpds93

Thorens TD 203 on sale for 699.... usually 1200. Anybody own or heard this? Sounds like quite a deal.

This will probably be my next turntable:
    http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-6.html

Recently got a Rega P3 and am very, very happy with it.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Recently got a Rega P3 and am very, very happy with it.
    Congratulations! What cartridge did you have installed on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Congratulations! What cartridge did you have installed on it?
    Elys 2
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    MCS direct-drive turntable (rebranded Technics originally sold by the JCPenney department store): free (belonged to a friend originally)
    Replacement Audio-Technica Series III stylus: $25, shipping inclusive.

Not suggesting you will have similar luck, but you never know what you might find until you try. Comb the second hand stores, garage sales, Craigslist, etc.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...