Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This will probably be my next turntable:
    http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-6.html
    That thing looks amazing. Pricey though.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Recently got a Rega P3 and am very, very happy with it.
    Nice! Its a possibility but my bank account says P2 instead. We'll see.

Thanks for all tips, comments and recs. 2018 will be the year, unless Santa brings me a new turntable before.

Elys 2
    Ive been eyeing the P3 - its more dough than I want to spend - but I've read mixed reviews on the Elys 2 cartridge. Some people swapped Ortofon blue, or even higher with the bronze, and supposedly it raises the game substantially. Again, this is all preference and you can't always trust every review.

I guess my question is: since the Elys is optional and you can buy the P3 w/o the cartridge, would installing an Ortofon blue or bronze be feasible for someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about this stuff?

I am also looking at the Pioneer PLX-1000, but I don't like the look of it tbh. The Music Hall MMF 5.3 also looks nifty. Its hard to make decisions without hearing them, which is my next course of action.

BTW, that external power source is also highly recommended for the P3, according to many owners. Its another 399 - yikes,

Or I might just go basic and get a Pro-ject or P1 - we'll see........

You can find some good turn tables for really good prices on the net.
    Indeed so. I picked up my own Sansui SR-212 for all of 15GBP (about $24) on Ebay in virtually perfect condition and it works splendidly and sounds great (or at least it did before I had to put it into storage!). Am planning on swapping the cartridge for a Grado Prestige Gold when I return to the UK.

I’m happy with the Elys2 but this is all really subjective stuff so YMMV etc. Installing a cart/headshell and aligning it isn’t all that complicated. Plenty of online vids to help you through and my Rega came with a cardboard protractor guide (even though mine was pre-installed with the Elys2) to assist. There are so many other factors from preamp to speakers to the room itself.
    I didn’t bother with the power supply which allows for easy switching between 33/45 speeds which I do quite a bit to play some of my audiophile vinyl...its simple to lift the platter and move the belt between 33/45 settings and not worth the extra expense from my perspective but again, YMMV.
    There’s a Rega owners forum over at audiokarma.org that you may find useful. Good luck!
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

I’m happy with the Elys2 but this is all really subjective stuff so YMMV etc. Installing a cart/headshell and aligning it isn’t all that complicated. Plenty of online vids to help you through and my Rega came with a cardboard protractor guide (even though mine was pre-installed with the Elys2) to assist. There are so many other factors from preamp to speakers to the room itself.
    I didn’t bother with the power supply which allows for easy switching between 33/45 speeds which I do quite a bit to play some of my audiophile vinyl...its simple to lift the platter and move the belt between 33/45 settings and not worth the extra expense from my perspective but again, YMMV.
    There’s a Rega owners forum over at audiokarma.org that you may find useful. Good luck!
    Thanks mate for the info! Glad you dig the table - it looks like a gorgeous unit. I guess what I've read from some owners is that the Elys 2 lacks some upper mid/treble sparkle, and some people preferred to have the Ortofon Blue on it, as they said it "comes to life" more. Who the flock knows right? Yes, you are so right - there are so many factors at play here as you listed. The bottom line is that I can order it w/o the cartridge and choose an Ortofon if I wanted to - I guess the installation is the only thing that scares me, even with YT videos. If Needle Doctor could do it for me, then I may go that route. I was loking up some used Linn LP12 decks just for laughs - I dunno - 2k for a used older table? I'm sooo confused, but its fun shopping for this stuff anyway. Its literally all I've been thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Or I might just go basic and get a Pro-ject or P1 - we'll see........
    I've had two Pro-ject tables and I can't find much wrong with them. But to be sure, it's the cart you will be hearing and not the table.
    The older I get, the better I was.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm amused at the number of young people who are buying vinyl these days. Whether they're combing second hand stores, record stores that sell used, or like some joining record clubs. My daughter and one of her friends are actually one of these who have joined a record album club. And like a lot of young people they own really cheap turntables, some are those all-in-one units with radio and CD player, and some are stand-alone units with tiny built-in speakers.

Even if they assume that the vinyl they're getting is true analogue throughout the process, a lot of kids are buying turntables with Bluetooth capability and playing the music back through Bluetooth speakers. I informed a couple of these people that they're listening to a very expensive, very high maintenance, quasi-CD player, because the signal has to be converted to digital in order to be broadcast via Bluetooth (or USB for that matter) and that they may as well buy the CD. And most of them look at me rather puzzled because they don't understand (or care) about whether or not something's digitally mastered or digitally mixed or digitally recorded or digitally converted, it's about vinyl being cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm amused at the number of young people who are buying vinyl these days. Whether they're combing second hand stores, record stores that sell used, or like some joining record clubs. My daughter and one of her friends are actually one of these who have joined a record album club. And like a lot of young people they own really cheap turntables, some are those all-in-one units with radio and CD player, and some are stand-alone units with tiny built-in speakers.

Even if they assume that the vinyl they're getting is true analogue throughout the process, a lot of kids are buying turntables with Bluetooth capability and playing the music back through Bluetooth speakers. I informed a couple of these people that they're listening to a very expensive, very high maintenance, quasi-CD player, because the signal has to be converted to digital in order to be broadcast via Bluetooth (or USB for that matter) and that they may as well buy the CD. And most of them look at me rather puzzled because they don't understand (or care) about whether or not something's digitally mastered or digitally mixed or digitally recorded or digitally converted, it's about vinyl being cool.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features...ecord-players/

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Considering how my daughter was treating her vinyl, it didn't really matter what she was playing it on (a unit much like the one in the video).

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I have a Music Hall MMF-5.1 SE that I'm quit pleased with. Although it is a little above your stated price range, I'm certain they offer something comparable in your range.

I like it because overall it's a very quiet table; it does a good job of absorbing/displacing vibration and other interference. The Ortofon Mojo cartridge that came with it matches well with the table, my speakers/amplification and the music I typically listen to.
    Good to read. Scheduled to replace my Pro-ject Carbon because I find it a too noisy for my taste; mind you, it's a great sounding turntable, but... Tops in the running is the MMF 7.3, either Ortofon Bronze, or may make the plunge into MC land.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Good to read. Scheduled to replace my Pro-ject Carbon because I find it a too noisy for my taste; mind you, it's a great sounding turntable, but... Tops in the running is the MMF 7.3, either Ortofon Bronze, or may make the plunge into MC land.
    This is so strange. That's one of the reasons I like my Pro-Ject tables. they are so quiet. Might your problem be that the table just needs some minor adjustments. I would rather see you hang on to your dollars. MC carts by all means.

Isn't Music Hall and Pro-Ject tied together, same manufacturer?

I think it's the same manufacturer. Mind you, I have the Carbon and it's an entry level, so there are other reasons that I want to upgrade . But it's not the quietest either, especially not compared to the dual plinth of the MMF 7.3.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I think it's the same manufacturer. Mind you, I have the Carbon and it's an entry level, so there are other reasons that I want to upgrade . But it's not the quietest either, especially not compared to the dual plinth of the MMF 7.3.
    I see. Then by all means. But certainly give the MC carts a try.

Two new budget priced tables that might be a game changer were introduced to the market recently.

Mobile Fidelity commissioned Allen Perkins of Spiral Groove to design tables for them. The Studio Deck and Ultra Deck seem to be creating a buzz. A friend just bought the Studio Deck and he's crazy about it. I have to admit for the money its pretty sexy looking. I wouldn't take it seriously except for the provenance.

Those were prominently displayed in the new Music Direct catalog I received last week

https://www.mofielectronics.com/turntables/

This was my first record player. It would tear your records up! Really puts the Crossley stuff in perspective!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I am currently looking a two possibilities.
    1.Project Carbon Espirit with upgrade which includes acrylic platter, built in speed box and 2M Ortofon Blue for $800.00.
    2.Thorens TD 203 with 2M Ortofon Blue for $700.00.

Chalkie, have you decided what TT your going to shell out the cheddar for?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Two new budget priced tables that might be a game changer were introduced to the market recently.

Mobile Fidelity commissioned Allen Perkins of Spiral Groove to design tables for them. The Studio Deck and Ultra Deck seem to be creating a buzz. A friend just bought the Studio Deck and he's crazy about it. I have to admit for the money its pretty sexy looking. I wouldn't take it seriously except for the provenance.
    This is featured in the new Stereophile.

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    I am currently looking a two possibilities.
    1.Project Carbon Espirit with upgrade which includes acrylic platter, built in speed box and 2M Ortofon Blue for $800.00.
    2.Thorens TD 203 with 2M Ortofon Blue for $700.00.

Chalkie, have you decided what TT your going to shell out the cheddar for?
    No sir, not yet. Still doing research. Another monkey-wrench thrown in the works is that my current amp (a Rotel RA-972 integrated solid state) doesn't have a phono stage. So, now I am either going to have to purchase an external phono stage, or purchase another amp with one. I like my Rotel but I know I can do better. Ideally, I would like to buy a Creek or Music Hall amp that get very good grades for their onboard phono stages, but of course it all comes down to bread.

Regarding Thorens - I spoke at length with a nice guy at Needle Doctor on a Thorens they had on sale, and he said STAY AWAY. He said he has seen multiple complaints over the past few years from quality issues, and although they have a legendary name and boast hefty price tags, he told me that he would never purchase a modern day Thorens. Too many problems popping up. Now, this is one guy's opinion, but he could have sold me on it by telling me it was great, but he went out of his way to not make the sale, and for that I was appreciative. He said Rega, Music Hall, VPI, Pro-ject, etc were all recommended ahead of Thorens. Food for thought....

I was roommates with a guy who had this exact model. What an utter pile of shit it was!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...