Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Good discussion. I'll weigh in more when I can, but:

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    TCA & NAS...not familiar. I checked my friend Google...Probably not Network Attached Storage, though trichloroacetic acid could be a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I guess from context that NAS means not age specific, or no age specified. I never heard TCA before.
    NAS = Non-Age Statement
    TCA = trichloroanisole
    https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/as...corked-whisky/
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Anyone tried the Glenfiddich Fire & Cane? It's apparently their only wide-distribution peated expression (what I heard is that their other peated whiskies were only available in duty free shops).

I got one a couple days ago, and it ain't bad. Pretty different for them.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wife brought me a bottle of Old Pulteney Noss Head on her way back from England. Not bad, clean and sharp pretty straight forward but drinkable.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This Laphroig Triple Wood is really, really good you bastards!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

^ Sounds like you're gettin' wood.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Sounds like you're gettin' wood.
    3 times!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah it motherfuckin is!

Reports are that the Laphroaig Cairdeas 2019 is CASK STRENGTH TRIPLE WOOD!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh that sounds nice.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Got some wood!

Banned
    An $18 Supermarket Whisky Was Just Named World's Best Scotch

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...cid=spartandhp

Thoughts? Anyone try that one?
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 02-28-2019 at 12:39 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Can't say I've ever heard of Lidl or Queen Margot Scotch. Probably little wonder, as I live near none of their retail locations. Also, I wouldn't consider a blend to be world's best Scotch, unless it won a taste test with all single malts. Possible, as there are some good blends, but unlikely. I question the placement, after the article, of a video ad for an old fashioned, a drink containing no Scotch. I don't question that Queen Margot Scotch is good, but it is unlikely I will ever see it.

It has to be true...It's on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Can't say I've ever heard of Lidl or Queen Margot Scotch. Probably little wonder, as I live near none of their retail locations. Also, I wouldn't consider a blend to be world's best Scotch, unless it won a taste test with all single malts. Possible, as there are some good blends, but unlikely. I question the placement, after the article, of a video ad for an old fashioned, a drink containing no Scotch. I don't question that Queen Margot Scotch is good, but it is unlikely I will ever see it.
    Lidl is Aldi's closest competition on the hard discount food supermarket (yeah, it's not just about food, but it's their core business) in Continental western Europe, and Lidl about twice as good as Aldi in terms of quality/price - both are German firms, BTW, and have legally limited surface >> in other words they cannot open huge hypermarkets. Both are low-end quality food chainstores, but in recent years, Lidl has done improvements.

Yet, I still wouldn't even try the Margot blended scotch.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Yes, my reaction was one of incredulity that an 8-year old blended scotch could garner such a rating of course. But it it's cheap and good, what the hell.

I scanned the story the other day too. Did they say it was the best blended Scotch or simply, best Scotch?

Banned
    Ah now it makes sense - fake whisky news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    According to another source it won best blended scotch 12 years and under.

https://tinyurl.com/y6x948zk
    Thank you!

Being in the American West, I had not heard of Aidl or Lidl before. The nearest city has a few large liquor supermarkets. Some of them seem to have their own brands of liquor, in addition to the world brands they can stock. I guess there are brands that don't distribute out here. If their sales depend on fake whisky news, I won't miss them.

To change the subject slightly, from Scotch to Irish, it's the time of year (St Patrick's Day) when Irish whiskey and stout are sold for lower prices for a week or a month. So I decided to try an Irish whiskey I had never had. The Sexton Single Malt Irish Whiskey.

Good stuff.

Our daughter got married yesterday, and we met the groom's parents for the first time at the city hall where the ceremony was held. They are from Cambridge, England, but originally from Scotland. After the ceremony, at a restaurant for a celebration, we got chatting about whisky. They own a cask at an Islay distillery. It's 6.5 years old now and they visit it once a year and taste how it's coming along. At the 10 year mark, they get to choose from a number of packages, such as paying all the costs and taxes and getting all the bottles (well over 200) with labels or getting some bottles and selling the whisky back to the distiller, etc. All sounds pretty cool. When they go to the distillery, they get to take pictures with their cask (about 200 liters in size), but they have to make an appointment because it's a real job getting the cask down from where it's stored. They brought us some samples from the Islay distilleries. One I'd never heard of, Kilchoman, was very nice. I think I'm going to like these folks.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Sounds like my kind of Scotch! I'll crack it open soon!

Bill
    I did a bottle this weekend and it was excellent. I have a quarter left, it was so good I can't believe I drank that much of it.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Like with any Laphroaig I am finding you need to get to the bottom half of the bottle to start truly appreciating it...

I've really been enjoying The Macallan Triple Wood 12 YO. In a powder blue box. I think ther's a variation that comes in a navy blue box.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Our daughter got married yesterday, and we met the groom's parents for the first time at the city hall where the ceremony was held. They are from Cambridge, England, but originally from Scotland. After the ceremony, at a restaurant for a celebration, we got chatting about whisky. They own a cask at an Islay distillery. It's 6.5 years old now and they visit it once a year and taste how it's coming along. At the 10 year mark, they get to choose from a number of packages, such as paying all the costs and taxes and getting all the bottles (well over 200) with labels or getting some bottles and selling the whisky back to the distiller, etc. All sounds pretty cool. When they go to the distillery, they get to take pictures with their cask (about 200 liters in size), but they have to make an appointment because it's a real job getting the cask down from where it's stored. They brought us some samples from the Islay distilleries. One I'd never heard of, Kilchoman, was very nice. I think I'm going to like these folks.
    Hey, congrats! Glad to hear that the in-laws seem to be nice folks too.

Had an extensive Arran session last night... My buddy is going nuts on it and we tasted all four of his bottle, plus another dram of the neighbouring GlenScotia... Odd thing is that none of them offered anything less than 43%, so we got plastered after we'd sampled them all.

The standard 14Y was the first off the Arran bottles (I had tasted it before), and I like to think of it as the basic Arran (forget the 10Y, which entry level)
    but the real meat was the two cask bottle editions:

The Rhum-cask was quite interesting and did have a rhum whiff on the nose, but in the palate, though relatively sweet, there was little traces of it left.
    The Amarone cask edition (that's one of the best Italian grape variety and DOP) is simply awesome (50%) and presented some strong dark chocolate and cherry noses and a light copper robe >> a real star.
    The Sauternes cask finish was also excellent, but maybe we shoud've tasted it before before the Amarone
    the grand finale was the quarter cask The Bothy (53%) and it was pure bliss

He's planning to buy the Cote Rotie cask edition (50%), and I'm really bloody curious to sink my lips into it.

Anyways, I had to call a cab to go back home cos I was hammered
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.