Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Going back to the PEv2 days, there was a PM thread going on in 2010 about this "nektar" of the gods. This was about the time I was first getting seriously into it. We started another PM thread in 2011 that went on quite a bit with interesting discussion for about 18 months.

We tried carrying on this discussion at PEv3 when we migrated here, but it didn't get much beyond the first few months. As such, we haven't really been discussing it for the better part of 4 years.

This makes me sad.

So I thought it might be best to get this started again on the main boards since the Groups never captured the magic of the old PM threads.

Here is the initial post I made in the 2011 thread to kick things off. I chuckled when I read it because my tastes have evolved since then. But I thought it might be a nice kickoff to launch this thread.

As a relative newbie to some of you out there, I have spent some time since last Summer buying and trying a few bottles of single malt. Here's my thoughts since:

Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 - So far, my favorite. This one is aged 10 years in oak casks and finished in sherry casks. I find the flavor really comes alive and I like to have it before dinner.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 - I liked the Lasanta so I tried the QR, which is finished in port casks. This is also quite flavorful, but I prefer the Lasanta.

Aberlour 12 - The jury is still out on this. I like it, but can't find much distinctive to say about it.

The Dalmore 12 - I thought this one had a lot of character.

The Macallan 12 - One of the first two I purchased. Smooth and impressive.

Glenlivet 12 - Smooth and inoffensive. After sampling Glenfiddich, I'm surprised Glenlivet isn't more popular. Good to introduce someone to Scotch perhaps?

Ardbeg 10 - My experiment with "peaty" whisky. I think my biggest two problems with Ardbeg is the whiff of chemical like lighter fluid that I get in the nose, and the idea that I feel like I've licked a rubber ash tray even minutes after. That said, ultimately I think it's okay if it wasn't so concentrated. This is perhaps why I like a blend like JW Black in which the smokey/peaty taste exists as an afterthought.

So I seem to prefer the highlands so far. While I'd like to taste Lagavulin, I won't likely be buying a bottle of it anytime soon.

So what have you been enjoying lately?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Subscribing so I check this out later.

Favorite distilleries (all peated)

LaPhroaig - many types
    Bowmore - many types

I have recently again bought a Smokehead which I like quite much http://www.ianmacleod.com/brands/smokehead

A friend from out of town stopped by last night. He travels to Asia quite a bit for work and he brought a bottle of Korean whisky called Calton Hill. We inspected the fine print and it was a Scottish blend. Not too bad really. Then we switched to The Balvenie 15. Aye, there's a proper dram.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We were in Scotland last year and obviously sampled a lot of single malt whiskey, even toured a small boutique distillery and saw how it was made and stored. I'm not a great expert on whiskey, but I learned a lot while I was there, including how to add a bit of water to really bring out the taste and cut some of the burn. I'm not a super big fan of the peaty style, so my tastes ran toward Speyside rather than the islands or Islay. I can't put my finger on a specific maker, but would be open to recommendations.

Oddly, my favorite single malt isn't Scottish at all, but is Welch, Penderyn. I've never tasted a whisky like it and I absolutely love it.

Bill

It may be surprising with my childish, unsophisticated ways, but I do love me some scotch. By far my favorite that I've had is Laphroig. Just love that peaty goodness. $$$ though!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My wife bought me some of that Ardbeg Ten and I liked it quite a bit.

My "go to" whisky is Highland Park, from Orkney...in fact I think I'll "go to" the kitchen right now and pour myself one!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Haven't bought a bottle of single malt in quite a while, but I've noticed some new ones in the store lately that I'm a little curious about.

But my favorites are Lagavullin and Caol Ila. Both pricy though. I like Laphroig and Ardbeg too though. Those peaty ones are my favorites. There used to a store in Manhattan that somehow had Lagavullin for like $45 as opposed to the usual $80 or so, but I'm pretty sure it closed.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Currently have the following underway:-

Lagavulin Double Matured
    Lagavulin 16
    Oban 14
    Laphroaig
    Jura
    Cardhu
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
    Glenfiddich
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My wife and I have been going to tastings for several years and are really enjoying both Speyside and Islay whiskies. Our favorites are

Laphroaig single cask
    Bowmore 12
    Macallan 12
    Macallan rare cask

Last year we splurged and bought a 30-year-old Ben Riach. Oh, man oh man. Is that ever good. Best tasting Scotch I've ever had. No bite at all. We made that bottle last almost a year.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    When we splurge (ie, anything beyond the typical Glenfiddich or Glenlivet), our go-to single malt is now 15 year old Dalmore.

Not really a scotch drinker anymore. Honestly, I find the taste TOO addictive. However, when I retired a year or so ago, one of my friends bought me a bottle of this. I did have a couple of drams...and yes, I loved it!

https://www.bruichladdich.com/bruich...classic-laddie
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Not really a scotch drinker anymore. Honestly, I find the taste TOO addictive. However, when I retired a year or so ago, one of my friends bought me a bottle of this. I did have a couple of drams...and yes, I loved it!

https://www.bruichladdich.com/bruich...classic-laddie
    Unpeated Islay whiskey. Now that I've got to try. Thanks for the notice, Dave.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I don't drink nearly as much scotch I used to, as I am more of a micro brew kind of guy. Once a year though, I splurge on a bottle . I just opened a Lagavulin Double Matured that I bought with my Christmas bonus. It'll probably last me through to the next holiday season.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Unpeated Islay whiskey. Now that I've got to try. Thanks for the notice, Dave.
    You're welcome Lou, maybe I'll grab a bottle at the duty free on the way to Progday...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    My "go to" whisky is Highland Park, from Orkney...in fact I think I'll "go to" the kitchen right now and pour myself one!
    +1

If funds permit, acquire a bottle of the 18 year old. It is exquisite.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I'm in.

Currently I have a bottle of Lagavulin on it's last legs, and a Tomatin 18 year old about half empty. Also, the dregs of a Mongo-big bottle of Glenmorangie--bottle is too big for my liquor cabinet, so it stays on the floor!

My favorites are Ardbeg, and Highland Park....but I like 'em all well enough. I especially love Cask Strength bottles.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

For the novice, what is meant by "peated" ?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Typically distilled in areas with a lot of peat (boggy ground with lots of moss, heather and water). The malts are dried over peat fires that resulting in a smokey tastes to the whisky.

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Almost finished with a a bottle of Macallan 12. Will probably buy Highland Park 12 next.

Thank you Ian!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

My favorite is Auchentoshan. Not easy to get in the US but worth it. It's Glaswegian and, unusually for a Scotch (more typical of Irish), it's triple distilled. Very tasty stuff.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Typically distilled in areas with a lot of peat (boggy ground with lots of moss, heather and water). The malts are dried over peat fires that resulting in a smokey tastes to the whisky.
    This is correct. Here are some photos from the distillery that I visited, one of which shows the actual peat which is used for the fires that toasts the grain. They actaully let us taste gran that was peat toasted and some that was not. It's amazing how much of that "peaty flavor" is already present in the toasted grain, long before distilling.

Bill

246.JPG249.jpg258.jpg260.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    My favorite is Auchentoshan. Not easy to get in the US but worth it. It's Glaswegian and, unusually for a Scotch (more typical of Irish), it's triple distilled. Very tasty stuff.
    I think I saw them play at Big Ears festival a couple of weeks ago.
    Ian