Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

I'm a big fan of the Bunnyhoppin, but I only find the Laddie to be OK. I like quite a few of the Islays better.

Bunny heaving?

(in the Gaelic, the <bh> sounds like a <v>)

I think The Laddie needs to age quite a bit longer than 10 or 12 years to come into its own - at 20 or 25 years, it's in its pomp, & is a magnificent drink.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Bloody Caesars (which is a vodka-based cocktail that apparently is unique to Canada).
    Yeah, alsways hated Bloody Marys, but the Ceasars, I often indulged in back then

I suppose that's because V8 was originally made in Montreal (though it's only the shadow of its former self here across the pond)

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I find that this, along with the Bruichladdich, are pretty much the only Islays to which I turn nowadays.
    both also amongst the least peaty and smoky of the Isles, if memory serves
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    both also amongst the least peaty and smoky of the Isles, if memory serves
    It doesn't quite : Some, but Bruichladdich Octomore is considered to be 'the most heavily peated single malt whisky in the world'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruichladdich_distillery

alzheimer strikes again
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    well that goes without saying. In fact I want a Tee shirt that just says "...plus beers"

Hey, after all the years putzin' around this joint I'm just seeing you are a Hudson Valleyer. I'm in PR...small world man!
    Nice man! New Paltzer here. PR = Pearl River? Don't think I've been there.

You guys dig Ardbeg Uigeadail? Nectar of the Gods for me.

Also, any fans of Ralfy? He is the fuckin best!

Heck yes, Ralfy is awesome!

And Frank, what is the Jura Superstition like? How would you rank it? I'm still not quite sure about the peated whiskies... My palate isn't quite there yet.

I wanted to get something at the opposite end of the spectrum from my Lagavullin Double Matured so I picked au Dalmore 12. Nice value for the price and a great fruity, woodsy nectar.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    That's my MO as well, but the Ottawa Senators are still playing, so I am still drinking whisky to calm my nerves.
    Last night's game was a tough one. We had a casualty:

Playoffs 004.jpg
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

but at least your casualty was worth it!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

FUGGIT - how TF did I not see this thread before?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It may be surprising with my childish, unsophisticated ways, but I do love me some scotch. By far my favorite that I've had is Laphroig. Just love that peaty goodness. $$$ though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My wife bought me some of that Ardbeg Ten and I liked it quite a bit.
    In general, Laphroaig is my fave by far ... but I tried an Ardberg (I wish I remember which one, exactly) - and could not stand it. Far too smokey.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ...or around here that you like rap but not Prog.
    I don't. And I do. Can I stay in the club:

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    For my money, the best slumming blended Scotch is Dewar's White Label.
    Yep - me too - though some Dewars are betterthan others. I don't remember which I like and which I don't, but I can recognize the bottle and the label...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    If it's the sampling that you're after...
    I wish there was somewhere local that I could try sampling. Perhaps I should go to the next local "Whiskey Live" that comes to my area : http://www.whiskyliveusa.com

The best sampling opportunity I've had in the USA was in a cigar and scotch pub in San Francisco, about a year ago. The lady behind the bar knew more about scotch that anyone I've ever met. (San Franciscans - I can probably research the name of the place, if you're interested.)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Almost the end of scotch (whisky) season for me (I usually drink in fall/winter), but in my cupboard at the moment:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
    Caol Ila
    Bunnahabhain 12
    Jura Superstition
    Macallan 12

I do tequila in the summer, plus beers.
    Your season is now over.
    You must empty your shelves in advance of the next season.
    I'll PM you my mailing address.
    You're welcome.
    Regards,

Duncan

BTW - if anyone wants to research the content of the thread in the old PE - it's still here, hidden in the blogs which for various reasons are no longer available from the menus. But you can read the whole thread here:
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...php/180-Scotch

One of the things I remember about that thread - and a prior Scotch thread on PEv2 - was Reach saying that:

I've always described Oban as smokey sea air wafting through a peach tree grove...

It's a nice image, but sorry, I still don't "get" that...
    Regards,

Duncan

Another (sorta) repost, which I've since edited and added to in light of more recent conversations:

$#*! My Dad Says: It's funny to hear my Dad talk about scotch. Imagine the following spoken in a soft Scots burr that cages the cynicism and the disdain for things-American, delivered with tongue only loosely planted in cheek:

Who the hell started this stupid fixation about single malts vs blends or single grains or vatted malts? That's an uninformed snobbery perpetuated to wring money out of the nouveau riche and the Americans. There are plenty of excellent blends and there are some God-awful single malts. You drink a whisky because it tastes good - and single malts just taste a bit different. Only arrogant bloody know-it-all poppinjays care how many bloody malts went into it.

In Scotland it is never called to 'scotch'. the word is whisky, or "the guid stuff". Sassenachs are sometimes allowed to say ‘Scotch whisky’.

Scotch is always had with water - only the amount varies. The taste of neat (or what the Americans call straight) scotch is too intense to appreciate the flavors. Soda water can release the flavors - but a self respecting Scotsman will cock a snoot at anyone who ruins a good drink with soda. A typical Scottish bar room interaction:
    - Barman: Can Ah help ye?
    - Sassenach: I’d like a scotch and soda please
    - Barman: We’re closed.

It is spelled 'whisky'. 'Whiskey' is that god-awful goop the Irish drink (as a Scot, he's allowed to talk about the Irish that way ) and we don't grace the Canadian or American stuff with that word at all. (Interesting side-note - in English spelling, there is always only one correct way to spell every word - unlike the American system.)

You drink whisky, you don't take those teeny sips - that's for Sassenachs and Americans, and popinjays who drink with their pinky sticking out.

Don’t ever call a person from Scotland ‘Scotch’. That word is for whiskies and sticky tape. We are Scots.

Anyway - agree or disagree - that's just how that particular Scot views Scotch.
    Regards,

Duncan

Also from that old thread ... someone (Trane?) said:
    I was asking some guy who told me that he thought there was a differece between "peaty" and "smokey" qualifiers, and I told him that's I'd consider peaty as more earthy-tasting than the generally smokey/ash taste...

I agree that there's a difference.

If you have experience with peat in its raw form (like the picture Ian posted), and if you've ever burned dried peat in a fireplace, you'd agree that there's a BIG difference between 'peaty' and 'smokey' tastes.
    Regards,

Duncan

^^^
    Yup, that was me making the diff between peaty and smoky...

The former, I can still swallow, the latyter, I can't even think abiout letting it into my mouth

I remember that post from the first time when you reported on your Dad's thoughts, Duncan. Made me smile all over again.

The water adding is something I have problems with. First & foremost, it's a quality thing - really, you would want water from the same area from which the water is drawn to make the whisky - the quality of the water is one of the key factors on the taste of the whisky.

As for malt v blend - he's just right. There are good blends & poor malts. Certainly, they're aiming for different ends - but blanket disdain for blends is daft!

I bought a bottle of Springbank 10 year. It's growing on me, but I was hoping for a bit more of a revelation. It's like someone blended Oban with Glenfiddich.

I also bought a bottle of Laphroaig "Select", as it was a lower price point. It has a lower ABV than pretty much all the expressions from the brand. It's not bad, pretty distinctively Laphroaig but without some of the initial burn as to focus on the flavor. I still prefer Quarter Cask as that extra 8 ABV adds a lot of flavor with the bite.

Lastly, recently a got a bottle of Macallan Double Cask, but haven't cracked it yet.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

In my cabinet at the moment (updated 2 August 2017):

Ardbeg 10
    Caol Ila
    Bunnahabhain 12
    Jura Superstition
    Macallan 12

Ready for the fall!

What's in 'yer cabinets?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

In my cabinet at the moment (updated 2 August 2017):

Ardbeg 10
    Caol Ila
    Bunnahabhain 12
    Jura Superstition
    Macallan 12

Ready for the fall!

What's in 'yer cabinets?
    Nothing as remotely magnificent than this. Just a Balvenie 15 and a blend.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My go to lately has been Glenlivet 12. It works well with my innards.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Not much

I need to take a trip to the licker store!
    Regards,

Duncan

Ready for the fall!

What's in 'yer cabinets?
    Spread over my Dutch and Brussels pads:

Morangie Bacalta (seasonal assembly signature collection) >> fantastic stuff
    Knockando 18Y
    Aberlour 18Y
    Aberlour Adbunah (cask strenght)
    Morangie Nectar D'Or (on its last leg) >> I'm looking for a Glengoyne 18y to replace it)

from Benelux:
    Lambertus (single grain 10y)
    Gouden Carolus (made from beer malts >> very different)
    Friske Hynder (red wine cask finish for two years >> the stuff is daaaarrrk)

1 Bowmore 15 years
    1 Chivas Regal 12 years
    1 Laphroaig Quarter cask
    2 bottles of Glenn Fiddich 12 years
    1 Smokehead
    1 Speyburn sigle malt Highland 10 years
    1 Jameson (Irish Whiskey) - for coffee
    1 Islay Mist peated reserve
    5 bottles of Ballentines cheapest, bought very cheap, for when we cant sleep or in coffee-

If you ask me in a year, most of them will still be there... Bowmore & Laphroaig are my favorites, my wife prefers unpeated and cognac

Bought a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask this afternoon. Never had that particular strain before.